Fremantle West End
Fremantle was established in 1829 as a port for the fledgling Swan River Colony and was the major centre in Western Australia for much of its early history, becoming a city in its own right by 1929. Over 150 buildings in the port city are classified by the National Trust, many of which are to be found in the city's West End.
A triangle of land at the mouth of the Swan River, Fremantle's West End enjoyed unprecedented gowth and development around the turn of the 20th century, as the Western Australian gold rush brought an influx of both people and prosperity to Fremantle. It is today recognised as one of the world's best-preserved examples of a nineteenth-century port city and colonial townscape. Cliff Street in the 1850's was a busy thoroughfare connecting the sea front jetty with the river. The street was paved in 1858 with hand toiled Yorkshire flagstones by sappers of the Royal Engineers.
Containerisation in the 1960s and 70s brought major changes to the way sea freight was handled, resulting in many old ports such as and including Fremantle going through major changes. Traditional maritime businesses disappeared from the landscape as Fremantle shifted its focus towards retail and tourism. Fortunately, retail development took place in other parts of the town, leaving the majoity of the beautiful old building of the west end still standing, though often abandoned. The opening of the University of Notre Dame in the heart of Fremantle's West End has brought new life to many of these fine old buildings, by using them as campus buildings. During the 2000s, the University became a major physical presence in Fremantle in a manner that gained public admiration for the quality and uniqueness of its historic buildings and their sensitive restoration and decoration. An awareness of the heritage value of the area's heritage buildings among tourists is also bringing people back to the streets of Fremantle's historic heart.
24 Marine Terrace, Fremantle, WA
A fine example of a businessman's house in the Victorian Regency style, probably erected around the turn of the 20th Century. During a later renovation, the portico has been remodelled in Grecian style.
1901 - Orient Hotel, 39 High Street, Fremantle, WA.
A carefully proportioned example of the Italianate style, its late Victorian era origin is reflected in the filigree first floor balconies fronting High and Henry Streets. This three storey hotel has long been one of Fremantle's most popular and well recognised historic Hotels.
Since its establishment in 1901, The Orient Hotel has been considered "The Heart of the Historic West End" earning the title of Best Redeveloped Hotel and it's listing with the National Trust and Heritage Council.
Renovations in recent years have taken the hotel back to it's original Edwardian grandeur, with an eclectic and charming mix of beautiful timbers, brass and wrought iron edgings set amongst high ceilings decorated with ornate and intricate pattern work.
1906 - Former Cleopatra Hotel, 24 High Street, Fremantle, WA
Two storey limestone and brick building in the Federation Classical style. It was erected in the wake of the boom times of the WA gold rush of the 1890s. Designed by J.H. Eales, it is typical of hotels of this era, with features such as ornate plaster and stained glass along with large arches typical of the Federation era.
Hotel Fremantle, 6 High Street, Fremantle, WA
Hotel Fremantle was built in 1899 at the height of the Western Australian gold rush, for W. deLacy Bacon. It was designed by local architect Wilkinson and Smith. The three storey residential hotel contained bedrooms, public bars, billiard room and sitting room. The design incorporated the existing residential structure built for the previous owner William Dalgety Moore which had been constructed in 1885. The building was classified by the National Trust of Australia in 1974 and placed on the Register of National Estate in 1980. During World War II the hotel was used as a hospital with operating theatres. In 2002 the building was purchased to become part the Notre Dame University.
National Hotel, 98 High Street, Fremantle, WA
Originally built as a shop in 1868, it was occupied by the National Bank in the early 1880s. When the bank relocated in 1886, the building became the National Hotel. The site was originally occupied by a single storey shop in 1868. In 1902, the original two storey hotel was replaced with a new hotel of five storeys including a basement. The hotel was constructed of stone and brick with stone forming the foundations and the lower portions of the walls with the brick above. The building has undergone numerous additions and renovations to update its interior.
1870 - P & O Hotel, 25 High Street, Fremantle, WA
One of the oldest surviving hotels in Fremantle, it was originally called the Victoria Hotel. The hotel was favoured by ships captains. It was sold in 1898, and then renovated and renamed as the P&O; in 1901. The name recalls the great shipping line, the Peninsula & Oriental Steam Navagation Company, which dominated the passenger ship trade between Britain and Australia in the first half of the 20th century. Currently part of the University of Notre Dame Australia, and is used as classrooms and as a dormitory for international students.
1903-1904 - His Majesty's Hotel, 2-8 Mouat Street (corner Philimore Street), Fremantle, WA
Built between 1903 to 1904, it was essentially built as an addition to an earlier pub, built in 1890.The two storey brick and iron building has also been known as His Lordship's Larder and Phillimore's Hotel.
Former Commonwealth Bank Building, 82 High Street, Fremantle, WA
The Grecian architectural style was used extensively by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia for its new branches in the major towns and suburbs across Australia during the Late Victorian/Federation era. The style was chosen as it represented the ideals of honesty, learning and justice which was in keeping with the image the bank was at that time projecting, being that of a business that was rock solid and trustworthy. Most of these fine buildings have been sold off by the Bank and adapted for other uses, the most common being art galleries or other retail enterprises where design and style is an important aspect of the business.
German Consulate Building (Tarantella Night Club), 5 Mouat Street, Fremantle, WA
A small, rough-hewn limestone structure which is one of the most picturesque buildings in Fremantle. This two storey structure, topped with flagpoles and featuring columns and decorative stonework, was erected for Mr De Lacy Bacon in 1902 as a commercial premises and warehouses. At the time of World War I, the building was the office of the German Consul. He was interned, as were all foreign nationals during hostilities.
Former Bank of New South Wales (Dalgety Building, Millennium), 7 High Street (cnr Cliff Street), Fremantle, WA
Built in 1899 for the Bank of New South Wales, its construction coincided with the commencement of building inner harbour. It consists of a bank chamber and three rooms. It was constructed for the Bank of New South Wales in 1899, who continued to operate from the premises until 1927. From around that time until the 1950s the building was the offices of Swan Wool Scouring Co.
1830-31 - The Round House, end of High Street, Fremantle, WA
The Round House is the oldest remaining building in Western Australia. It was built as a gaol and was the first permanent building in the colony. It was designed by H.W. Reveley, the colony's first civil engineer. The Round House had eight cells and a gaolers residence which all opened up into a central courtyard. Bay whaling was carried out from Bathers Beach below the Round House. As part of the whaling operations a tunnel was constructed under the Round House to provide whalers with access to the town from the jetty and Bathers Beach. When the first convicts arrived in 1850 the Round House was inadequate to house them so the convicts built a new goal which was completed in the 1850's and continued to be used as Fremantle Prison through until 1991. The Round House was not used as a prison when, in 1886, convict establishment became the responsibility of the colonial government. Instead, the Round House was used as a police lock-up through until 1900. It then became the living quarters for the chief constable, his wife, and their ten children.
Whalers Tunnel, GHigh Street, Fremantle, WA
The Whalers Tunnel was constructed by Fremantle Whaling Company under the Round House to move goods between the original port at Bathers Beach and the town. It was Western Australia's first tunnel and the only one for 64 years until the Jane Brook deviation railway tunnel was built. The tunnel is of exceptional significance as the only structure remaining of the Whaling Station complex. There is a secret side tunnel leading up to Gunners Cottage which was built when the Whalers Tunnel was used an air raid shelter in World War II. From 1905 &endash; 1919 electricity cables ran through the tunnel connecting the power station on the western side with the tram barn on its eastern side.
Commisariat Buildings, Cliff Street, Fremantle, WA
The Commissariat Buildings was one of the first places built using convict labour in the Swan River colony, construction began in 1852. The building was designed by James Manning and was constructed under the supervision of Captain Henderson, Royal Engineer and Comptroller General of Convicts for Western Australia. It now houses part of the Western Australian Maritime Museum.
1897 - 30 Mouat Street, Fremantle, WA
Built in 1897 for Richard Strelitz, consul for Denmark and act-consul for Sweden, who was interned during World War I. The building is believed to have been designed by architect JF Allen, because it similar to some of his other work. Allen also designed other buildings for the Strelitz brothers, in Hay, Murray and William Streets Perth. The building has a warehouse at the rear with two floors of office space in front. Tenants in the offices included the architect firm of Cavanagh and Keogh who designed a number of buildings in Fremantle. Between 1904 and 1906, Herbert Hoover, then a mining engineer for Bewick Moreing & Co, had an office in the building. Hoover later became the 31st President of the United States.
Fowler's Warehouse, 38-40 Henry Street, Fremantle, WA
Fowler established at the site in 1854. They purchased adjoining land and built the current building between 1899 to 1900. Fowler's Warehouse, also known as the Fremantle Furniture Factory, was constructed in 1900 as the principal premises for D&J; Fowler Ltd. Principally on Henry Street, the building extends through to Packenham Street, and comprises offices, warehouse, engine room packing and coffee roasting house, stables and sheds. Local architect FM Burwell designed the building.
34-42 Cliff Street, Framantle, WA
Built in 1897 for Captain James Lilly, a prominent businessman, co-founder of the Fremantle Sailing Club and member of the Federation League. The building, in the Victorian Free Classical style, was erected as a block of terraced town houses. The complex is currently part of the Fremantle campus of University of Notre Dame Australia.
1900 - Adelaide Steamship Building, 10-12 Mouat Street, Fremantle, WA
The building was designed by Fremantle based architectural firm Charles Oldham and Herbert Eales and was constructed by C. Coghill. The building takes its name from the original owners of the building, the Adelaide Steamship Company, who provided sea passenger and freight services around Australia. The Adelaide Steamship Company (ASC) was formed in September 1875 in Adelaide, South Australia, by a group of pastoralists and businessmen. The Company operated the Western Australian operations of their company from the premises until 1978, when they sold the building. In 1991 the building was restored and converted into a residence, office, store and warehouse. The building is a two storey stone structure built in the Federation Free Classical style. The upper floor has a balustrade parapet, elaborate central pediment and stuccoed ionic pilasters. The upper floor rectangular windows have false balustrading and shell decorations above them. The ground floor has a granite plinth, horizontal shadow lines, broad doric pilasters and large arched openings.