1936 - East Perth Police Station, Wellington Street, East Perth, WA.
An unusual expression of the Stripped Classical style, which has strong Egyptian Art Deco influences, particularly in the central tower which resembles Melbourne's Shrine of Remembrance. The building was erected as the Perth Girls' School. Its tennis courts were built in 1958 on the land which originally housed the Chinese and Presbyterian cemeteries. The tennis courts were later converted into carparks. Perth Girls' School was designed and constructed as a flagship independent girls' school with the primary emphasis being on domestic science. The monumental scale of the school after a period of extreme hardship and personal privation for many, and the investment of the resources involved, reflected the government's great optimism for the future of Perth. The plans were prepared through the architectural division of the Public Works Department under the direction of Principal Architect, A. E. Clare. Len Green and Len Walters were also closely associated with the development of the project. Its design excellence was recognised by a Royal Institute of British Architects Bronze Medal.
School enrolments began to fall in the late 1950s when centralised education was replaced by education which was community based. The school was officially closed in November 1962 and, in March 1963, the Police Department moved in, remaining there until 1966, when the new Central Police Headquarters at the Causeway were opened. The Traffic Branch remained at the school and it became the Police Traffic Department. Cost: ?70,373.
Applecross District Hall, Kintail Road, Applecross, WA.
In Perth, like Melbourne, Art Deco did not enjoy the same popularity that it did in other cities and towns across Australia. This building, now used by the Tivoli Theatre, is one of the few surviving examples of this style in Perth. Bulky in shape, it features Egyptian motifs and influences. Architect: Eales, Cohen and Fitzhardinge Architects
1937 - Council Chambers, Municipal Chambers and Town Hall, Cnr Meadow St & James Street, Guildford, WA
Guildford is home to the Applecross District Hall's near identical twin, which is a remodelling of an older building by the same architect, John Fitzhardinge. Incorporating the Guildford Town Hall, the rendered brick and zincalume-roofed building was constructed in 1900 and remodelled in 1937 to complement the Town Hall. constructed in 1937 in the Inter-War Art Deco style, and the Guildford Library (former Council Chambers) a brick, rendered brick and zincalume-roofed building built in 1900 and remodeled in 1937 to complement the Town Hall. The car park has been identified as an archaeological site relating to the former convict depot.
2006 - Kurongkurl Katitjin Indigenous Centre, Edith Cown University, Mt Lawley Campus, Bradford Street, Mt Lawley, WA
Set apart from the rusted tin shed or earth walls which have become the archetype for Aboriginal arts and crafts and built expression, KK, as it is known, boldly claims its place between land and sky. The building sits at the crossing point of four story telling paths- representing a metaphysical link with the four corners of Western Australia and the gardens which surround the building represent the six seasons of the Noongar year. Architect: Jones Coulter Young Pty Ltd
Government Printing Office, Cnr Pier and Murray Streets, Perth, WA.
A four storey corner building, constructed of load bearing brick in a subdued version of the Federation Free Style, with projecting corner tower. The building is a rare surviving example of a late 1890s government building constructed, and subsequently substantially modified, by the Public Works Department to house an expanding Government Department.
1899 - Salvation Army Citadel, Cnr Irwin and Murray Street, Perth, WA.
The North building (1903) is a two storey commercial building of tuck pointed brick with rendered dressings. The South building (above) is a three storey masonry structure with asymmetrical four storey tower. The tower has faceted oriel bay window over arched entry. Facade decoration includes Victorian Italianate style label moulds and cornices. It also uses tourelles and crenellations to effect 'fortress' theme.
1896 - 96-100 William Street, Perth, WA.
A landmark office and shopping building in the centre of Perth, built of rendered brick around steel frame in Federation Free Classical style. It was built in a period of great prosperity in WA that was birthed in the wake of the 1890s gold rush in that state. The rooftop plaza was added after World War II.
1906 - Former Cleopatra Hotel, 24 High Street, Fremantle, WA
Two storey limestone and brick building in the Federation Classical style. It was erected in the wake of the boom times of the WA gold rush of the 1890s. Designed by J.H. Eales, it is typical of hotels of this era, with features such as ornate plaster and stained glass along with large arches typical of the Federation era.
Barwil House, cnr Cliff and Phillimore Streets, Fremantle, WA.
Formerly the Elders Building, this is one of many commercial premises built in the 1890s at the west end of the central city area of the Port of Fremantle. Like this one, many of the buildings in this area housed business involved in maritime industry. Barwil House was built of locally quarried sandstone and brick in keeping with other Federation Freestyle buildings, however the contrast of these two materials is less visible these days as the whole exterior was painted cream.
Plaza Arcade. 650 - 658 Hay Street, Hay Street, Perth WA
Plaza Arcade, Paris Theatre, and its neighbour, Piccadilly Arcade (below), built a year earlier, were designed in the Functionalist style. A cinema and retail arcade complex of masonry wall construction in the Perth city centre. The typeface used for the building's name came to signify the 'Moderne' style.
1938 - Piccadilly Arcade and Cinema, 700-704 Hay Street, Perth, WA.
At first floor level the facade is divided into three bays, symmetrically composed around the dominant central bay. This bay is rendered. The flanking bays are painted brickwork. The shops below the canopy have been modernised.
1939 - Memorial Hall, 12 Lochee Street, Mosman Park, WA
A two-storey brick building in the Inter-War Functionalist style with an adjacent walled picture garden (outdoor cinema), It was erected in 1939 as part of a much larger cultural centre. Memorial Hall complex has functioned as as the town hall, picture theatre, cinema, local government offices, social centre, child health centre and community arts centre over eight decades. Architects: Kreightmeyer and Rowe.
Former Commonwealth Bank Building, 82 High Street, Fremantle, WA
The Grecian architectural style was used extensively by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia for its new branches in the major towns and suburbs across Australia during the Late Victorian/Federation era. The style was chosen as it represented the ideals of honesty, learning and justice which was in keeping with the image the bank was at that time projecting, being that of a business that was rock solid and trustworthy. Most of these fine buildings have been sold off by the Bank and adapted for other uses, the most common being art galleries or other retail enterprises where design and style is an important aspect of the business.
1901 - Orient Hotel, 39 High Street, Fremantle, WA.
A carefully proportioned example of the Italianate style, its late Victorian era origin is reflected in the filigree first floor balconies fronting High and Henry Streets. This three storey hotel has long been one of Fremantle's most popular and well recognised historic Hotels. Since it's establishment in 1901, The Orient Hotel has been considered "The Heart of the Historic West End" earning the title of Best Redeveloped Hotel and it's listing with the National Trust and Heritage Council. Renovations within recent years have taken the hotel back to it's original Edwardian grandeur, with an eclectic and charming mix of beautiful timbers, brass and wrought iron edgings set amongst high ceilings decorated with ornate and intricate pattern work.
Criterion Hotel, Hay Street, Perth, WA.
A three storey brick building, with basement with Functionalist and Art Deco details. The historic significance of the site lies in its continuous use as a licensed public house since 1848. The Criterion Hotel, formerly the Regatta Hotel Complex, opened its doors on the 26th April 1996.
1937 - Royal Institute for the Blind building, 134 "Whatley Crescent, Maylands, WA
Founded in 1895 the Royal WA Institute and Industrial School for the Blind was established as a permanent memorial to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria. The buildings occupied by the increasing number of employees were very small and cramped and it was not until 1937 that any extensive additions were made to the factory. The new Art Deco style addition was officially opened on 28th July 1937 by J C Willcock MLA and was designed by architect C E Clare, whose other accomplishments include Caves House at Yallingup. The institute, situated on Whatley Crescent, Maylands, was considered one of the important buildings of the time, being a striking example of the new Modern trend in architectural design. The facade displays horizontal bands of vertical windows, tied together in long stretches; the two contrasting directional lines typical of the style. The building is constructed from large stone blocks and has a paint finish producing a striking visual landmark. A horizontal band of decorative sculptured concrete encompasses the building, consisting of small vertical pilasters with upright and inverted waves of prosperity. The wave is one of the many Art Deco symbols, popular at the time, symbolic of the wave of prosperity that swept through Perth after the depression and before the onset of the war. The striking entrance is surrounded by a chevron motif, with ventilation grilles repeating this unique motif, located either side of the doors. A positive vertical form is extended by the windows above the highly decorative spandrel. Incised horizontal banding is contrasted by the vertical elements of the fountain motif. A zigzag form is introduced to break the directional lines creating further visual interest. Pilasters are symmetrically placed either side of the doorway with the chevron motif repeated on the capitals. A typical horizontal window light is featured above the door. Architect: A. E. Clare, Principal Government Architect
1937 former Rostrevor Flats, Mercedes College group, 173 Goderich Street, East Perth, WA
Two storey rendered brick building with tile hip roof. The building features a projecting curved wall to the corner with decorative panels. Art Deco bas-relief panels feature stylised mechanical deign. The building displays tall chimneys with terracotta pots. Architects: Cavanagh and Cavanagh.
1937 - Attunga Flats, 103 Thomas Street, Subiaco, WA
Art Deco flourished world wide in the 1930s and left its mark on a variety of buildings of that decade in Subiaco. Attunga Flats is a three storey block of flats designed by Perth architect, Marshall Clifton. The facade of this building is an excellent example of the Art Deco style, displaying most of the style's elements. Elsewhere in Subiaco, the typical stepped Art Deco facade appears on the former Scout Hall in Murchison Street, Shenton Park, and the Subiaco Scout Hall on Rokeby Road.
1939 - Main entrance, A Block, King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women, Bagot Road, Subiaco, WA
King Edward Memorial Hospital for Women is a large complex of hospital and hospital related buildings built over an extensive period since 1897, and rendered in a diverse range of architectural styles that reflect the time span over which the place was constructed. The southern section of A Block, is a particularly fine example of the Interwar Functionalist style, with a finely decorated and detailed entrance foyer featuring sculpture by Edward Kohler. Architect: A E Clare, Principal Government Architect (1939)
1830-31 - The Round House, end of High Street, Fremantle, WA
The Round House is the oldest remaining building in Western Australia. It was built as a gaol and was the first permanent building in the colony. It was designed by H.W. Reveley, the colony's first civil engineer. The Round House had eight cells and a gaolers residence which all opened up into a central courtyard. Bay whaling was carried out from Bathers Beach below the Round House. As part of the whaling operations a tunnel was constructed under the Round House to provide whalers with access to the town from the jetty and Bathers Beach.
When the first convicts arrived in 1850 the Round House was inadequate to house them so the convicts built a new goal which was completed in the 1850's and continued to be used as Fremantle Prison through until 1991. The Round House was not used as a prison when, in 1886, convict establishment became the responsibility of the colonial government. Instead, the Round House was used as a police lock-up through until 1900. It then became the living quarters for the chief constable, his wife, and their ten children.
The Whalers Tunnel was constructed by Fremantle Whaling Company under the Round House to move goods between the original port at Bathers Beach and the town. It was Western Australia's first tunnel and the only one for 64 years until the Jane Brook deviation railway tunnel was built. The tunnel is of exceptional significance as the only structure remaining of the Whaling Station complex. There is a secret side tunnel leading up to Gunners Cottage which was built when the Whalers Tunnel was used an air raid shelter in World War II. From 1905 &endash; 1919 electricity cables ran through the tunnel connecting the power station on the western side with the tram barn on its eastern side.
1958 - Tuart College, Banksia Street, Tuart Hill, WA
Built as Tuart Hill Senior High School in Perth's (then) outer northern suburbs, it is a double storey complex built around two quadrangles. It typifies the many schools that were built in the late 50s/early 60s to cope with the influx of Baby Boomer children in the education system across Australia at that time. The International style was the obvious choice for these buildings - their simple and basic design kept costs down and ensured quick construction. By the 1980s, when the Baby Boomer rush was over and Tuart Hill had become an inner suburb with few high school-age children, the school was converted to a tertiary education college. Many purpose-built Baby Boomer schools across Australia suffered a sadder fate and were eventually bulldozed and the land sold off for residential development when falling student enrolments made then unviable.
1962 - Beatty Park Leisure Centre, Vincent Street, North Perth, WA
Beatty Park Aquatic Centre as it was then known was built and used for the 1962 British Empire and Commonwealth Games. It comprised two 50 yard pools, a diving pool, extensive spectator seating and press rooms. The International styled stucture featured a 'curtain-walled' exterior comprising of a full-length window strip on each level sandwiched between blue panelling, a common practice in buildings of the time.
Over the next 31 years, the Centre played a prominent role in the development of swimming and aquatic sports in Western Australia, both in education and at an elite level. Following the construction of Challenge Stadium (previously Superdrome), much controversy surrounded the decision to redevelop Beatty Park Leisure Centre. A total refurbishment took place in 1993 with the best of the old being combined in the new facility.
1892 - The Weld Club, 3 Barrack Street (Cnr The Esplanade), Perth, WA.
The Weld Club was formed in 1871 and was named after its first patron, Gov. Frederick Weld. The building was designed by architect J. Talbot Hobbs, who became the state's most distinguished soldier, and built to face the river, the foreshore of which was not far from the club building at that time. Its walls are constructed of face brick, its roof was originally shingles, that were replaced with Marseilles tiles, which were replaced by Colorbond sheeting when the building was renovated and restored in 1980. The building has close associations with the exercise of political and social power in the Colony before representative government and was one of the leading private gentlemen's clubs in Western Australia.
1896-98 - Perth Mint, 310 Hay Street, Hill and Goderich Streets, East Perth, WA.
The Perth Mint was opened in 1899 as a branch of the Royal Mint, London, to refine the gold produced from the WA gold rush (1890-1910) and to mint gold coinage. The building was designed by George Temple Poole and was one of his last designs for the Public Works Department. It was built by Atkins and Law in 1896-98 for £22,199.
The complex, of Free Romanesque style, features Tamala limestone (some of which came from Rottnest Island), red brick and a rich roofscape of Marseilles tiles and corrugated iron cladding. The mint complex was essentially constructed in three stages with the office building and factory constructed in 1896, the assaying building adjacent to Goderich Street constructed in 1899 and extensions to the factory undertaken between 1902-11.
The Perth Mint is significant as one of the oldest mints in the world believed to be still operating on its original site. It is the only mint in Australia with its original 19th century factory buildings for refining and coining still largely intact.
Trinity Buildings, 671 Hay Street, Perth, WA
This three storey Commercial Palazzo style building which faces Hay Street, is part of the Trinity Church group; it includes Trinity Church (1893) on St Georges Terrace. The latter buildings, which are included in the group, were built in 1926. In 1981, a shopping arcade was developed, linking Trinity Church with Trinity Buildings in Hay Street and with St Georges Terrace. The redevelopment of the arcade provided a range of levels of pedestrian access that run along the eastern side of the Church buildings and provide courtyards and through ways for the public from which they can admire the architecture and avail themselves of the services the Church provides.
Savoy Hotel, 636-40 Hay Street, Perth, WA
A reminder of the 'grand hotels' of the Federation era; the culmination of the epoch of hotel building between 1880 and 1910. Its massive presence is relieved by wrought iron balconies overlooking the street, which provide an element of both gaiety and elegance. The Mansard roof with projecting dormer windows and chimneys in the gable ends reinforce the rather grand residential nature of the hotel in its commercial surroundings. The first floor dining rooms are impressively scaled.
1852 - Old Perth Boys' School, 139 St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA
Designed by W A Sandford in 1852, this building is a rare example of Early Gothic revival style in Perth. It is also a fine example of a colonial building constructed in Perth from the mid-nineteenth century. Its construction was regarded as an outstanding architectural achievement at this time. The single storey limestone building built with a steeply pitched roof (originally shingled) and narrow vertical windows. The building, which closely resembles a church, had a wing added to the north in 1865 and to the south in 1868. Air vents in the southern wall have been uncovered which would have assisted in ventilating the sub floors. In the northern wall, windows have been enlarged to admit more light with top sections in hopper lights.
1908-09 - Kirkman House, 10 Murray St, Perth, WA
Kirkman House was designed by Hilson Beasley in 1908-09 and is an excellent example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. Kirkman House utilises the red brick which is the predominant building material within the Murray Street precinct and it is compatible in scale with the other buildings. It was built as nurses accommodation and in honour of Sister Annie Kirkman of the Perth Hospital Board. The four storey brick and tile symmetrical building (1909) has a three storey south facing verandah, dormer windows and a decorative cupola. The garden`s Moreton Bay fig tree and fences are a feature. A bas relief frieze around part of the upper floor reflects the wrought iron pattern of the verandahs of the Fire Brigade Building further west in Murray Street.
1928-33 - Commonwealth Bank Building, 1 Forrest Place, cnr Murray Street, Perth, WA
The Commonwealth Bank in Perth is a significant example of the inter-war Beaux Arts style of architecture used for banking head offices in the early twentieth century and only one of a few examples of this architectural style in Perth. It is one of the last monumental stone faced buildings constructed by the Commonwealth Government in Australia. Its designer was J S Murdoch, the Commonwealth Government Architect, who had a leading connection with the design of practically all Commonwealth built works during 1904-28. The bank is of a steel frame construction, allowing monumental construction characterised by large open spaces inside the building. The building used new technology in bank safety such as the installation of a night safe, an automatic fire alarm and multiple locks on the doors. The building was part of a plan formulated in 1916 to a civic precinct at a point directly facing the gateway to the city, the railway station. It included a street running between Murray and Wellington Streets (that street became Forrest Place), with a General Post Office (GPO), the head offices of the Commonwealth Bank and the Customs Department. All but the latter building eventuated.
The building which exhibits a largeness of scale, symmetry, the use of Classical motifs and steel framed construction. The local timber firm of Bunnings supplied the jarrah for the building. Granite was quarried from the Greenmount Quarry and transported by dray to the site.
1996 - FAL (Foodland) Head Office, 218 Bannister Road, Canning Vale, WA
The project brief called for an area of approximately 3,7500m2 including office accommodation and printing works. The client’s specific requests were that the architecture should be compatible with surrounding buildings. It must be an office building for an industrial area, not St George’s Terrace (Perth CBD's office district). In addition to the extensive Printing Department, the building was to cater for the company's main central computer data processing facility. Architect: Spowers Architects Facility & Development Advisors
569 Wellington Street, Perth, WA.
This building has Mannerist and Romanesque influences. The Mannerist and Romanesque styles were popular in the design and construction of warehouse buildings in Australia's capital cities in the Victorian period.
1987 - Burswood Dome, Burswood Entertainment Complex, WA
Formerly known as Burswood Superdome, this unique venue is a large enclosed venue for entertainment, sporting, or special events. The dome is 8,800 square metres in size, with seating for 13,600 people (or 8,000 during tennis matches). A feature of the Dome's design is its enormous inflated teflon coated fibreglass roof which soars to a height of 35 metres. The domed roof enables natural light to filter into the complex during the day, and cause it to glow at night, and is held in position by a series of cables. Eight huge fans maintain constant air pressure to ensure the roof is fully inflated at all times. The Dome was originally due to be demolished after hosting its last contracted Hopman Cup in 2007, however the demolition has been posponed until the completion of Perth Arena, a new indoor sporting and entertainment arena located on Wellington Street in the city centre.
Swan Hotel, 201 Queen Victoria Street (Cnr. Tydeman Road), North Fremantle, WA.
The Swan Hotel has long stood as a landmark on the north bank of the Swan River in North Fremantle. The Swan kept the warfies who lived around North Fremantle fed and entertained for many years. One of the finest of numerous surviving examples of the Arts & Crafts architectural style in a commercial building in the Perth metropolitan area. Arts & Crafts was a popular style for Federation era pubs in Perth. This hotel features the use of two contrasting building materials and textures (brick and limestone) which was popular around the turn of the 20th century and had become a characteristic of buildings of that era.
Redemptionist Monastery, 190 Vincent Street, North Perth, WA.
An imposing Monastery building, designed by Michael and James Cavanagh in 1902 and opened in September 1903. An additional monastery wing was added in 1912. The Monastery has all the characteristics of the Baronial architectural style. It is a three-storey building constructed from Cottesloe limestone. The arches around the main doorway are decorated with an acanthus leaf design matching the door to the Church. The entrance is flanked by two hexagonal columns that extend beyond the rooftop to form crenellated turrets. The upper level is also distinctive for its decorative stone corbels and false machiolations, and the elaborate blind tracery adorning the gables and pinnacles. Website
1896-97 - Drill Hall, Swan Barracks, 2 Francis Street, Perth, WA.
The Swan Barracks, of which the Drill Hall was a part, was built in 1896, the central stone tower and enormous drill hall behind it having the distinction of being the oldest buildings in Northbridge. The fortress style building, built by Messrs. Holman and Coustin, was constucted as a training centre for the local militia, and was later incroporated into the Australian Army following Federation. erected as the Western Command HeadquartersThe Barracks was used as the Fifth Military District Headquarters up until 1993 after when the Australian Army vacated the premises and it was left unoccupied. It was subsequently sold in 1995 and has been refurbished as a backpacker hostel.
1904 - His Majesty's Theatre, Cnr King and Hay Streets, Perth, WA.
Purpose built as a theatre in 1904 for theatre promoter T.G.A. Molloy, it was Australia's first concrete and steel building. It was designed in the Federation Free Classical style by architect Adolph Wolfe and built by F.W. Leibe. It was remodelled in 1912 and again in the 1980s. As one of the first major restoration projects in Western Australia, it has historic significance for its association with the development of public awareness of heritage and the development of conservation practice in the State.
Fremantle Post Office, Cnr Market & Short Streets, Fremantle, WA
Classical in style and typically Federation era with its use of multi-layered building materials (stone and brick), corner entry arches and window features reflecting the Italianate style. The look of this building is shared by hundreds of post offices around Australia from this era.
1902 - Western Australian Supreme Court, Barrack Street, between Stirling and Supreme Court Gardens, Perth, WA
Built at a cost of 65,000 pounds, the building was designed along Classical lines to represent the style of Italian Renaissance architecture. The feature of the northern facade is the central portico of eight coupled Ionic columns supporting a pediment, 14 metres in height to the apex. The building was designed by Chief Architect of the Public Works Department 1897-1905, John Harry Grainger. Grainger designed a number of major buildings in Perth of that era.
Western Australian materials were well represented in the elevations, including granite, Cottesloe stone, Rottnest stone and Donnybrook stone, as dressings to the main brickwork. The foundation stone was laid by the Governor Sir Arthur Lawley on June 2nd 1902. It was officially opened by the new Governor Sir Frederick Bedford on June 8th 1903. The building continues its function as the Supreme Court.
1896 - Former Titles Office, Cathedral Avenue, Perth, WA.
The building known as the Titles Office, fronting Cathedral Avenue, was built in 1896. It forms the north wing of the Government Offices complex in Central Perth, and was the last of the four buildings in the complex to be built, and is the most picturesque. Construction was supervised by Richard Roach Jewell, the Colonial Architect, until he retired in 1885 and then by George Temple-Poole.
1874, 1877, 1887 - Treasury Building, Cnr St Georges Tce & Barrack Sts., Perth, WA
This handsome three storey building sited in a prominent down town location in Perth, facing Barrack St, Cathedral Avenue & St Georges Terrace, is the south wing of the Government Offices complex of four buildings in Central Perth (see entry above). Its bricks are handmade, and are laid in the variegated colour chequer pattern brickwork typical of the colonial period. Constructed in three stages. Historically, it housed many important government departments and activities, before being vacated and left to lie empty in the 1980s. A little known fact about the building is that is connected by a tunnel to the Perth Mint and The Supreme Court building and possibly the Railway Station. The tunnel was built in the days of the WA Goldrush to ensure the safety of gold brought to Perth from the goldfields in the 1890s, along with cash and documents.
1879-99 - St George's Anglican Cathedral, 38 St Georges Terrace, corner of Cathedral Avenue, Perth, WA
St George's Cathedral was built as a place of worship for the Perth Diocese of the Anglican Church. A Victorian Academic Gothic church embodying all the principal elements of the style, St George's Cathedral is a well executed piece of 19th century architecture, a subtly textured building by Edmund Blacket, a leading Australian practitioner of the Victorian Academic Gothic style of architecture.
In 1878 a design for the new Cathedral was commissioned from William Wardell of Melbourne but his plans were rejected. Alternative plans from England were considered but the commission was finally given to Edmund Blacket who designed a modest but elegant Cathedral in the fashionable Victorian Academic Gothic style. In 1902, a square bell tower was designed by the WA architect, J. Talbot Hobbs and built at a cost of £1,129.
St George's Cathedral is a timber vaulted brick, limestone and jarrah timber Church in the Victorian Academic Gothic style. It has a steeply pitched roof, originally covered with slate, but which was replaced in the 1950s with tiles because the slate was leaking. The building has a central nave with two aisles and a shallow transept with a Dorcas window in the south transept. A rose window is featured in the western termination of the nave. Various memorial windows have been inserted over the years since construction. Limestone for the windows and quoins was quarried at Rottnest Island.
In 1966 concerns were raised about the condition of St George's Cathedral because of continuous fretting of the brickwork and CSIRO scientists estimated its life at 20 to 30 years. The Meckering earthquake, of 1968, exacerbated the damage and, by 1972, the bell tower was considered in danger of collapse. The bells were removed and the tower repaired. The fleche had also been jolted out of alignment in the earthquake and it was removed, in September 1974, so that the roof could be repaired. Website
St Mary's Cathedral, Victoria Square, Perth, WA
The landmark Gothic-style Cathedral is a combination of two buildings in Victoria Square, Perth. The first was opened in 1865 and the second, built to replace the first, was opened in 1930. The pressure and cost restraints of the Great Depression meant the new Cathedral could not be completed, so it was joined to part of the first building.
A Commonwealth funding contribution in the 1990s assisted in financing a major reconstruction project that finally saw the cathedral completed and enable an expansion of the 900-strong congregation to 1200 people. The completed cathedral includes elements of 19th, 20th and 21st century building.
1935-38 - Gledden Building, Cnr Hay and William Streets, Perth, WA.
This well known landmark in Perth's central shopping precinct is the only remaining Commercial Gothic style skyscraper based on the Chicago Tribune Building in Perth. For many years Gledden Building was the tallest reinforced concrete structure in Perth. The art works, based on Western Australian themes and an integral part of the building, have aesthetic and historic significance in their own right. The building was for many years the highest in the city centre.
German Consulate Building, 5 Mouat Street, Fremantle, WA
A small, rough-hewn limestone structure which is one of the most picturesque buildings in Fremantle. This two storey structure, topped with flagpoles and featuring columns and decorative stonework, was erected for Mr De Lacy Bacon in 1902 as a commercial premises and warehouses. At the time of World War I, the building was the office of the German Consul. He was interned, as were all foreign nationals during hostilities.
Cygnet Cinema, 16 Preston Street, Como, WA
Cygnet Cinema (originally known as the Como Theatre) was the first purpose built sound cinema in the suburbs immediately south of the city in the inter-war period, demonstrating the popularity of cinema entertainment in the 1930s. Cygnet Cinema was built by W H Ralph and Sons, of rendered load bearing brickwork with a low pitched corrugated asbestos roof and timber floors. Cygnet Cinema is similar in plan, massing and form to Windsor Theatre in Nedlands, which was designed by the same architect but completed six months earlier. Similarities include the streamlined contours of the form of the cinemas, the combination of indoor cinema and outdoor picture garden served by the one bio-box and contemporary decorative motifs. The bio- box of Cygnet Cinema, extends out from the tower in a fashionable streamlined curve and features a cantilevered balcony with steel railings, resembling the form of a modern ocean liner. Film canisters were hauled up to the bio-box balcony from the street, giving the balcony a functional as well as an aesthetic purpose. The liner theme is reinforced by the three port hole windows on the exterior of the building. Architect: William Leighton.
1874-97 - Former Government Offices Buildings, Cnr Barrack & St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA.
A three storey brick complex which is architecturally a somewhat restrained interpretation of the Second Empire style. The buildings were erected in stages between 1874 and 1897. A third storey was added to the east wing in 1903 and the south and west sections in 1905. Between the east and west wings fronting St Georges Terrace (above) is the section built as a General Post Office 1887-90. The north wing, the former Titles Office, fronting Cathedral Avenue, was built in 1896. Construction was supervised by Richard Roach Jewell, the Colonial Architect, until he retired in 1885 and then by George Temple-Poole.
1962 - Perry Lakes Stadium, Underwood Avenue, Floreat, WA
The outdoor arena that celebrated Perth's debut on the world's sporting stage as the main stadium for the 1962 Britisn Empire and Commonwealth Games ran its last race in December 2007. Dogged by controversy since the end of the Games, the crumbling Perry Lakes Stadium was farwelled with the 2007 Drug Free Track and Field Classic, the last major meeting at Perry Lakes.
Opening Ceremony, Perth British Empire & Commonwealth Games, 22nd November 1962
Planning blunders and the city's lack of foresight in failing to convert the Stadium into a venue for more viable sports such as football after the Games rendered the arena a ''white elephant'', eventually even being unfit for even its primary tenant - athletics. Its destiny - demolition to make way for a housing development was cdetermined in 2005. Despite being rundown for many years, Perry Lakes did have its time of glory, though after the '62 Games it was filled to capacity on only one occasion after the Games - for a Rolling Stones concert in 1995. The venue had a 5,000-seat grandstand with open air perimeter seating for a further 25,000.
2005 - Bassendean Transit Station, Bassendean, WA
The 2005 Bassendeam Station upgrade typifies those being applied to older suburban railway stations in capital cities around Australia. The new facilities here include a protected overpass partially glazed with lift and stair nodes that form distinct points of entry and vertical circulation for patrons. The overpass also forms an essential and safe rail crossing point connecting the local residential communities on each side of the railway line. Sculptural stainless steel panels were incorporated into the protective barrier screen on the Guildford Road side visible from the Guildford Road and Ole Perth Road intersection with a reverse view for commuters on the passing trains.
1937 - London Court, 647-653 Hay Street, Perth, WA.
A popular shopping location, comprising a three and four level open air arcade simulating an Elizabethan period shopping street. It originally had 53 shops, 55 offices and 24 flats. The richly detailed facade of the place and it's distinctive clocks are important tourist attractions. Website
1971 - Mt Newman House Group, 200 St Georges Tce, Perth, WA
The construction of Mt Newman House represented the first time in Perth that a facade of an historic old building was retained and used as a feature of a new high rise tower. The saved facade belonged to The Cloisters building, erected in 1881. The patterned, mellow tones of brickwork of The Cloisters was sensitively restored during the construction of the complex which has now been converted to offices. The twenty storey office tower has external walls of brown block work and verticality is emphasised by the splayed block columns.
The faces of the towers present a rhythmic pattern of regularly spaced bronzed anodised aluminium windows. The new building has been treated as two equal office towers staggered in position away from the terrace, but linked with a central accessway, to break down an otherwise massive facade. Plant rooms in the roof are hidden by block grille work.
The plaza level, or Hay Street level, has an open square with a restaurant and band stand. There is pedestrian access across the terrace and cloisters level. Shops occupy the St George`s Terrace and Hay Street frontages and an arcade through the complex. Restoration of The Cloisters and design of the office tower was conducted by Howlett and Bailey Architects; the complex won the 1972 Western Australia Clay Brick Award.
1963-65 - Dumas House, Cnr King's Park Road and Malcolm Street, Werst Perth, WA
The design of this 14 storey office building (steel-framed with glazed infill panels), with its open piazza raising the bulk of the building above the ground, enables a sense of transparency and lightness in the external walls. Although not as tall as some of the commercial building in St George's Terrace, Dumas House defines the western edge of the urban skyline when viewed from a distance. It was built during a period of prosperity when WA was experiencing extensive industrial development and mineral boom to fulfil the long-held WA Government aim to centralise all Government departments in the Parliament House precinct. Planning for the site arose out of the 1955 Stephenson-Hepburn Report and the place was the first of five multi-storied buildings planned for the site; the remaining four were not built. Dumas House was designed by PWD architects G. Finn, E. Van Mens and P. Maidment, who won an Australia wide competition to design the master-plan for five office buildings on the Mount Eliza site.
Dumas House is today a rare example of a multi-storied, steel-framed building with infill glazed panels, constructed in WA in the 1960s. Other examples include MLC Building (1957) which has been radically remodelled; the T&G Building (1960) and SGIO (1958) which have been reclad; R&I Bank (1961) and Commonwealth Bank (1962) which have been demolished. The caretaker's quarters and a public observation deck on the top level are no longer in use. Construction cost: $4.9 million. Heritage listing
McNess Royal Arcade, 613-619 Hay St, Perth, WA
A distinguished example of Classical urban design from the gold boom period (1890s), a notable corner building and landmark which provides a lively contrast to the Town Hall opposite. This arcade is one of the finest in a central area noted for its arcades. It is a three storey brick structure with a parapet balustrade and projecting triangular pediments which accentuate the arched arcade openings. Apart from these elements the building has a regular pattern of fenestration which is enlivened by ornate stucco decoration. Internally the three storey arcade exhibits the same character as the exterior, apart from some unsympathetic shop fronts of recent times.
202 High Street, Fremantle, WA
Part of an excellently preserved row of two storey terrace houses on the outskirts of the Fremantle city centre. The outer streets of Fremantle were once lined with many similar terraces that were built out of the wealth that was brought to Western Australia through the discovery of gold at Coolgardie, Kalgoorlie and Boulder in the 1890s. Sadly, very few of these terraces survive, this row being one of the best examples to have survived the bulldozer.
Peninsula Burswood home units, The Circus, Burswood, WA
The 19 homes are contemporary in design, with a strong emphasis toward outlook over the park and beyond to the future public amenities. The design philosophy was to produce a form that is very ordered and structured to enforce a rhythmical border that enhances the strong geometric shape of the circular park it faces by forming a crescent. Architect: HPA Architects Planners Interior Designers.
The home units in this project are part of a major development of the Burswood peninsula surrounding the Burswood Resort Casino complex and Burswood Dome. The land was for many years a rubbish tip. Instigated in 2005 by the WA Gallop Government and Town of Victoria Park, the development will see the creation of a compact community that offers a mix of entertainment, offices and medium to high density housing. The new urban precinct would accommodate up to 5,000 new residents, capitalising on the existing rail infrastructure.
The Peninsula development, Burswood
LandCorp's 13ha The Springs and Mirvac Fini's The Peninsula are major developments projects in the scheme. Both will feature a mix of contemporary residences and luxurious apartment buildings all interwoven with gardens, landscaped river foreshore parks and lakes.
39, 41 & 43 Jutland Parade, Dalkeith, WA
These three homes of a similar age (late 1930s) and design form a group of homes built in the 'P&O Liner' style. Horace Costello designed 43 Jutland Parade, William Bennett designed 39 and 41 Jutland Parade. Bennett produced a significant body of work in Western Australia. He is known to be associated with the design or redesign of at least ten Town Halls or Council Offices, four churches (eg St Christopher's Anglican Church, Perenjori, Plaza Theatre & Arcade, Perth, and Nedlands Infant Health Clinic.
Other fine examples homes in Perth built in the 'P&O Liner' style include Bel-Air flats, Grant Street, Cottesloe; 19 Melrose Crescent, Menora (1939); 1939; 259 Hay Street, East Perth (1940); 6 Wingfield Avenue, Crawley (1950); 10 Waterloo Crescent, East Perth (1920).
24 Marine Terrace, Fremantle, WA
A fine example of a businessman's house in the Victorian Regency style, probably erected around the turn of the 20th Century. During a later renovation, the portico has been remodelled in Grecian style.
89 Fourth Avenue, Mt Lawley, WA
Mt Lawley and its neighbour, Inglewood, were subdivided and developed in the inter-war years, and contain some of Perth's finest examples of the Californian Bungalow. This home is typical of the interpretation of the style in Western Australia in that it is a moderately sized, three bedroom home.
42 Ardross Crescent, Coolbinia, WA
A late example of the Californian Bungalow, built at the end of the 1940s and one of the first homes in what was they the newly subdivided Perth suburb of Coolbinia. A solid looking double brick home with wide eaves, rendered walls and spacious rooms. The windows have small panes and are arranged in casements, the painted gable features battens.
14 Regent Street, Mt Lawley, WA
All of Australia's capital cities have suburbs which were created during the late Victorian/Federation era and feature high quality middle/upper class homes. These suburbs today showcase some of the finest homes of yesterday and are unique for their outstanding examples of period architecture. Such a suburb is Perth's Mt Lawley which is full of gracious homes such as this. It has Queen Anne characteristics with numerous Arts & Crafts embellishments such as a tower.
160 High Street, Fremantle, WA
An example of a two storey Federation townhouse in the homestead style. It features fine brickwork and extensive filigree decoration of its verandahs with classical style decorative features on the right hand side of the building.
27 Museum Street, Perth, WA
Two storey brick and stone building, erected as a residence but used today as commercial premises. Many Federation homestead-style buildings in Australian capital cities have been modified for commercial purposes or are used as guest house style accommodation today.
9 Hyde Street, North Perth, WA
A typical workman's cottage of the late Victorian/Federation era. Homes such as this, which were of weatherboard construction with corrugated iron roof, were quick to build and affordable by the working class and quickly filled what today are the inner suburbs of Australia's capital cities. They were simple in design with two bedrooms on one side of a central passage and the living room and kitchen on the other. Toilets were in a shed in the backyard and laundry facilities were often attachments at the rear of the cottage. Bullnose verandahs with a simple timber railing were common.
1957 - MLC Building (former), 171-177 St Georges Tce, Perth, WA
This was the first high rise office building of steel frame, steel pan floors and curtain walls in Western Australia. Its architectural quality was recognised when it received the RIBA Bronze Medal in 1958. The construction was rigid steel frame with steel pan floors welded to the frame, fireproofed with light weight concrete. All external windows were double glazed with heat resisting glass to the outer skin. Metal venetian blinds were installed between outer and inner glazing. The lift and stair tower was faced with grey ceramic tiles.
All service outlets, power, lights, telephones and air registers were planned on a modular grid basis, allowing for maximum flexibility in internal subdivisions. The building had a temperature guage on its roof, the temperature rise and fall indicated by rings of flashing lights. It was a well known landmark on the Perth skyline for many years.
In the 1990s, the MLC building was stripped to its steel frame and floor deck before being extended and transformed into luxury apartments. Renamed Kingsgate Apartments, the floor plan of the original building was extened at the front and back, for its entire height.
1961-62 - Council House, St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA.
Opened by Queen Elizabeth II on 25th March 1962, this building, which houses the offices of the Perth City Council, was one of the first of Perth skyscrapers to have walls of glass on all sides. The external T-forms were included to achieve a degree of thermal control without compromising the desired aesthetic of the building's transparent form. Nevertheless, soon after its opening, blinds had to be fitted at great expense to all windows. In the late 1960s the building was known as Tom's House, not only because of the T-shaped forms on its facades, but also because the Lord Mayor of Perth at the time was local millionaire grocer, Tom Wardle. In 2002, the interior was gutted and remodelled to remove asbestos used in its construction.
1914-23 - Perth General Post Office, Forrest Place, Perth, WA.
Built after World War I to replace the Perth Post Office that was originally located in what is now known as the Treasury Building, cnr St Georges Terrace and Barrack Streets. It was from the GPO's steps that politicians for many decades used to deliver their policy speeches to Perth voters during lunch hours in the 1950s-80s.
The building consists of seven main storeys plus basement and roof level rooms. It has a concrete encased steel frame faced with brick and stone. Interior walls were of face brick and corrugated fibrous (asbestos) cement and reinforced concrete. Donnybrook sandstone and granite was used for external wall facings.
1973 - Perth Concert Hall, St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA.
At the time of its construction, the Perth Concert Hall's design was a radical departure from anything else seen in Perth until that time. It paved the way for a number of buildings in this style (Brutalist), many of which were built within the vicinity of this building that are far more radical and visually challenging. Perth Concert Hall is revered as the best fine music acoustics venue in Australia. Adding to the appeal of the 1,900 seat auditorium is a specially commissioned 3000-pipe organ surrounded by a 160-person choir gallery. More >> | Website
Office Tower, Cnr Hay and King Streets, Perth, WA.
Erected in the 1970s as the Australian office for the Flotto Lauro shipping line which, at the time, was doing a roaring trade bringing migrants from Europe to Australia. Custom built for the line, it features windows shaped to give the impression of portholes. They were originally painted aqua, which was the shipping line's livery.
1963 - Fremantle Port Authority Building, Slip Street, Fremantle, WA.
This building is unique in that, in 1963 when it was built, it became and still remains the only modern 'skyscraper' like office building on the port city's skyline. Its box-like shape, uninterrupted surfaces, simple exterior colour scheme and limited decoration both internally and externally makes it a copybook example of the International style.
Central Law Courts Building, Cnr Irwin and Hay Streets, Perth, WA.
A giant, ugly, sprawling, five storey building housing Western Australia's Criminal, Family and Local Law Courts. It was built in the early 1980s. Of the building, Cultural Planner Charles Landry has said: "This is the court building that says you are guilty before you've been proved innocent. It's really a disaster." A new District Courts building which is over the road from the Central Law Courts Building, was built to a post-Moderne design.
2003 - Woodside Plaza, 230 St Georges Tce, Perth, WA
This 26-level high rise building was constructed as the head office for the petroleum giant, Woodside. The 46 000sqm Woodside Plaza is the largest office tower to be constructed in the Perth CBD since Central Park in 1992. Built at a cost of $250 million, it includes a 15 storey Stamford Plaza hotel on its north side. Height: 137 metres. Cost: $245 million.
1973-74 - Perth Entertainment Centre, Wellington Street, Perth, WA.
Built jointly by the Perth television station Channel 7 and the Edgley Entertainment Group at a cost of $7 million, this building when opened contained an 8,000 seat auditorium (at the time of its opening, it was the biggest covered auditorium in Australia), two cinemas, a restaurant and a tavern. With the opening of the Burswood Dome in 1988, its use fell into decline. It was demolished in August 2011.
Perth Fire & Emergency Services House, 480 Hay Street, Perth, WA.
Built as the new Perth Fire Station in the early 1980s, this monumental structure sits on the same corner but diagonally opposite another Brutalist style building, the Central Law Courts.
1976 - Westrail Centre, East Perth Railway Terminal, West Parade, East Perth, WA
A variation of the Brutalist style, this is not the eyesore it could have been, but still is not the sort of design that projects warmth in its welcome to passengers arriving on the Indian-Pacific. Its detractors say the building was modelled on a skip bin. The building's chocolate wood-panelled interior with orange carpet were very 1970s (the decade that fashion forgot); what appear to be two massive coin slots above the platform are a novel touch.
2000 - The Swan Bells Bell Tower, Barrack Square, Perth, WA.
The Swan Bells' distinctive design resulted from a major architectural competition for a bell tower as part of the City of Perth's Barrack Square redevelopment in the 1990s. Its historic ring of bells was gifted to the people of Western Australia as part of the national Bicentennial celebrations.
The Belltower is one of the largest musical instruments on earth custom built to house the 12 historically significant bells of Saint Martin in the Fields church, the parish church of Buckingham Palace in Trafalgar Square, London, which are recorded as being in existence from before the 14th century and recast in the 16th century by Queen Elizabeth I. The Bell Tower was designed by William Hames, Executive Chairman of Perth based architectural firm Hames Sharley (WA) Pty Ltd. The 82.5 metre tower has three main viewing levels. The $5.5 million tower was officially opened in December 2000.
2002 - Western Australian Maritime Museum, Victoria Quay, Fremantle, WA.
Shaped like an upturned boat, the home of the Western Australian Maritime Museum draws inspiration from Western Australia's rich maritime heritage and from its unique setting on a site of historic significance within a working port. The development forms part of a museum precinct which encompasses the existing museum facilities in Cliff Street and other important historic and heritage sites around the West End of Fremantle. =The architectural imagery of the museum is intended to draw upon the association of an upturned boat stranded on a sandy promontory. Website Architects: Cox Howlett & Bailey Woodland.
2004 - Perth Convention & Exhibition Centre, 21 Mounts Bay Road, Perth, WA
The $310 million complex consists of a 2,500 square metre banquet facility, 2,500 seat plenary hall, an exhibition centre of 17,000 square metres, 1,500 car parking bays and an associated 120 room hotel. The major feature of the Centre's interior is the 267 metre long, 66 metre wide exhibition pavilion building providing 16,600 square metres of floor space which can be subdivided to form six separate smaller pavilions. Labelled a "barn" and a "shed" by its critics, the Perth Convention Centre has been dogged by controversy from the start. First debate raged about the way it looked. On opening day, the media came along but found it was flooded. These days the centre is still generally unloved by the people of Perth (a Perth-based webblog describes it as "our most ill conceived, worst located and under utilised eyesore"). Website
Architects: Cox Group of Architects.
1977 - Allendale Square, 77 St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA
The 31 storey (34 levels) Allendale Square was the tallest office tower built in Perth in the 1970s and was the first Late Moderne building to grace the city's skyline. When this iconic building was constructed, Allendale Square was Perth's tallest skyscraper. It was passed by St Martins Tower (140 metres) a year later. St Martins Tower held the title until 1988 when Bankwest Tower took over. As at the end of 2007, it was the city's 7th tallest. The building was sold in 2001 for $45 million. Height: 132 metres. Site area: 4,053 sqm.
1988 - BankWest Head Office, Barrack Street, Perth, WA.
A predominant feature on the Perth C.B.D. skyline, it towers over the AMP Building, which, for a number of years, was Perth's tallest building. The BankWest building was erected for the Bond Corporation as its head office but midway through construction, it was taken over by BankWest after Bond Corporation went into liquidation.
1976 - St Martins Tower, 40 St Georges Tce, Perth, WA
St Martins Tower comprises a modern 34 level office tower, basement car park, and adjoining retail arcade. The office tower consists of a basement car park, ground floor lobby, 32 upper levels of office accommodation and revolving restaurant, with a total net lettable area of approximately 21,470 square metres. The land comprises a total area of approximately 3,735 square metres. It is now part of St Martins Centre, which consists of St Martins Tower, National Australia Bank House and Dwyer Durack House, and the St Martins Arcade.
1990 - Forrest Centre, 221 St Georges Terrace, Perth, WA
The 30-level Forest Centre was built towards the end of the economic boom years of the late 20th century. The 110 metre high building's cladding is made from granite. Architect: Robert Cann & Associates
1992 - Exchange Plaza, 2 The Esplanade, Perth, WA
A 40 level curtain-walled reflective glass building with sweeping curves. It has 33 commercial office levels and a 5-level car park. Height: 136 metres. Site asrea: 5,992 sqm. Architects: Peddle Thorp & Walker
Museum and Art Gallery Buildings, Cnr James & Beaufort Streets, Perth, WA.
The Library, Museum and Art gallery complex, now wholly occupied by the WA Museum, was the brainchild of Government architect George Temple-Poole who was also Director of Public Works. It was a Cultural Centre established to mark Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. A century later, a new cultural centre would be built nearby, housing the Art Gallery and State library.
Jubilee Wing (WA Museum, Cnr James and Beaufort Streets): The contract was let for this building (above) in May 1896. It was to be the first wing in George Poole's plans for a Library, Museum and Art Gallery. Designed in the Romanesque style, it was built of brick, with random-coursed rock-faced Rottnest stone for the basement storey and ashlar Donnybrook stone used for the arches, piers and string courses. A piazza, which ran around the west and south sides of the building was paved in mosaic tiles. The original roof slates have been replaced with clay tiles and the piazza enclosed. The building was occupied, initially by the Museum (ground and first floors) and the Library basement).
Government Geology Building (former State Library, facing James Street): Completed in 1902 and designed by the Government Architect, John Grainger, this building was to be the northern termination of the Art Gallery wing. It was built of brick and Donnybrook stone. Some of the Rottnest stone left over from the Jubilee Wing construction was also used. The original roof covering was slate. The ground and mezzanine floors were to house, temporarily, the Government Geologist. The upper floor was to be used for exhibitions.
Art Gallery Wing (facing Beaufort Street): Government Architect, Hillson Beasley, used similar construction materials for this buildings but in an Academic Classical style, so that it would blend with the Jubilee and Government Geology buildings. This wing was added in 1908. The ground floor windows are grouped together by arcading which uses Meckering granite. The arch infills are decorated with embossed terracotta tiles. A cement-enriched frieze runs along the level of the main eaves. Lighting for the first floor is by means of a lantern gallery, this being considered at the time as the best lighting for viewing pictures. The ground floor windows were considered to provide the best lighting for sculptures. A frieze which runs around the walls of the first floor gallery is a plaster cast of the Parthenon's friezes (the Elgin Marbles). This gallery also features the magnificent lantern which is supported by a series of timber arcades.
2004 - Residence, 72 Keightley Rd, Shenton Park, WA
This house was designed for a family with two young children in Shenton Park. Their brief called for the project to be an example of a contemporary sustainable home in a suburban environment. Their commitment to energy conservation and ecologically sustainable design principles and building practices allowed for a holistic environmental approach to the design process. This residence includes environmentally sensitive design elements such as solar passive and dynamic design principles, photoelectric energy generation technology, natural cross ventilation, rainwater harvesting and recycling of grey water. The construction process included extensive use of recycled materials, plantation timbers, energy efficient construction and insulation systems, advanced glazing technologies, smart wiring, low toxic and low allergenic finishes and building materials as well as the reduced involvement of P.V.C. building material. This project has been considered as a case study to form part of the review of the Nathers energy auditing system. Architect: Gavan Reilly
2004 - Backshall Village, Hampton Road, South Fremantle, WA
Backshall Village was crafted into the landscape on the site of a former car yard and vehicle servicing facility to form a new residential entry statement to South Fremantle when approaching Fremantle from the South. The village has 28 strata titled dwellings of two and three storeys in five groups in various architectural styles designed to nestle into the deep cut of the site left over from its earlier car yard days. Although the buildings were designed in various architectural styles they have continuity of architectural detailing and deliberately form a homogenous village concept. The five dwellings are constructed from painted rendered brickwork, powder coated aluminium framed glazing and with colorbond custom orb roofing of various colours and shades. The project was been designed with east-west, north-south orientation to enable appropriate solar access to courtyards and solar control to dwellings. Architect: Ralph Hoare Architect
2002 - Hafele Office & Showrooms, 29-33 Juna Drive, Malaga, WA
According to the architect, Hafele’s ethos is to provide well designed functional products and this ideology was carried through to the design of the building. The office and showroom have been specifically designed to invite a passer by to visually enter the space of Hafele thereby creating a sense of curiosity and interest through the design. The office features a floating roof, large glass areas and sun shades for solar control. The showroom is an elliptically curved structure peaking above the main entry at approximately two storeys in height with dramatic full height glass walls facing the street to the north and the courtyard to the south. The warehouse building provides a backdrop to the visually challenging office and showroom facility. Architect: Bollig Design Group.
1867-70 - Perth Town Hall, Cnr Barrack and Hay Streets, Perth, WA.
Styled in Victorian Freestyle Gothic with Tudor finishes, Perth Town Hall was designed by Richard Jewell, a noted Western Australian colonial architect. It was from under its Tudor arches leading into the town market, which have since been removed, that many exploratory treks through outback Western Australia were commenced. The building is a rare Australian example of a 19th century town hall modelled on those of 14th century European market towns. Architects: Richard Roach Jewell and James Manning.
1962-63 - Reid Library, University of Western Australia, Hackett Drive, Crawley, WA.
This award winning Late 20th Century Stripped Classical four storey building, enclosing the southern edge of the Great Court of the University of Western Australia, was designed to provide an outward and visible sign of the growing significance of library services at the University. It won the Royal Institute of British Architects (RIBA) 1964 Bronze Medal. The building is one of a series of successful building designs produced by the Perth firm Cameron, Chisholm and Nicol from the 1960s. The building commemorates Sir Alexander Reid, 8th Chancellor of the UWA.
The first stage of the main library development was commenced in August 1962 and completed in January 1964. The building components on the four sides of the completed building together form a pattern of structure, fascia and curtain wall with additional horizontal and vertical emphases provided by the solids and voids and light and shade. The rigid grid layout of the plan form of the initial building was a 3:1 rectangle, with an elevated footway passing across the face of the north elevation. The elevation presented to the Great Court of the first stage of the building suggests a square, or almost square, plan form a notion satisfied by the execution of the second stage of the building in 1972 when the grid plan was increased from 9 x 3 to 9 x 7 bays. The north elevation and the bridges were unaltered in the process. In 1986, some internal alterations were instituted. The building has reinforced concrete columns set out on a rigid grid of 22ft (6.7m) with reinforced concrete floors. The Swiss pattern terracotta tiled roof assists in linking the materials used in the building to others in the campus.
1931 - Phoenix House, 8-10 The Esplanade, cnr Sherwood Court, Perth, WA
The four storey Phoenix House, designed by F G B Hawkins, demonstrates the inter-war Free Classical Revival style in Perth. This period was one of economic restraint and therefore construction was limited. Phoenix House is only one of a few of the commercial buildings constructed and surviving from this period. The interior`s public spaces are decorated in the Art Deco style and are still largely intact. Phoenix House was constructed by contractors Messrs Todd Brothers who employed up to date fire proofing construction techniques with the most modern fire fighting appliances being installed on each floor. In fact the flat roof was designed to allow firemen to fight fires in the adjoining buildings. All windows were steel framed and strongrooms were provided for all suites. Natural lighting was a conspicuous feature with about 75% of the outside walls being occupied by windows. The whole of the facade, with the exception of the steel windows, is faced with Wunderlich architectural terracotta of a graduated salmon brown tone, mottled with black and white with a tooled surface, with an attractive matt semi-glaze finish. The company's emblem is also modelled and produced in architectural terra cotta, with a nice ivory finish, the figure supporting the globe being heavy sheet copper. The facade is symmetrical with semi-circular arched windows on the ground floor level with emphasised keystones and square headed windows on the upper levels, an interpretation of a Palladian motif.
1912 - Former Chief Secretary's Office, 57 Murray Street, Perth, WA
A two storey building constructed in Donnybrook Stone. The front elevation has ashlar stonework with a rusticated stone base and face brickwork to the side elevations.The front elevation is divided into three principal bays in a symmetrical arrangement around the main entrance. The roof is hipped over each bay, the central hip is raised. There are decorative gablets with timber louvred vents and chimneys of face brickwork with rendered capping with dentils. The roof is covered with terracotta tiles with decorative ridge capping. There are wide projecting eaves with timber battened eaves, which are supported by large timber brackets.
1905 - former Central Police Court, Beaufort Street, Perth, WA
This building was designed on classical lines; its three main facades are carried out in dressed Donnybrook stone. These are well detailed and demonstrate a high standard of workmanship. This building influenced greater use of Donnybrook stone in public buildings in later years. According to the original drawings, the footings are of strip concrete. Footing walls and piers of solid brick support the floors. First floor and roof construction is engineered in Oregon pine.
The French Renaissance detail is simple, as befits the character of the building. The roofs are of the Mansard type, the ends and central portion being treated as pavilions and finished with ornate zinc cresting and finials and a feature is made in the centre of a clock pediment carried up through the roof. The materials used are Donnybrook freestone for the three main elevations and returns, rock faced to the lower storey and tooled ashlar above, with tooled dressings. The roof is covered with green Vermont slates, relieved by ornate dormers for ventilation and finished with cresting.
2005 - Chancellery Building and Business School, Edith Cowan University, Joondalup Campus, WA
These buildings are sited on a gentle rise, set amongst bushland and eucalyptus. According to the architect, he forms, materials and character of the new buildings have been drawn directly from this landscape. The Chancellery buildings are made like two giant plants, their branches fanning out and rising up from the ground to almost touch at the centre. These two rising forms frame a vista down to the lake and open wide toward Grand Drive in a gesture of welcoming and invitation. The organic forms of the architecture have been developed to appear to rise almost ‘naturally’ out of the landscape itself and thus to represent and embody the values and aspirations of the University. This curving form is assembled from Jarrah struts that begin almost parallel with the ground and gradually fold up and out, framing a new ceremonial open space and reaching up towards the sky.
Campbell House, 383 Hay Street, Perth, WA.
An unusual application of the 'Moderne' style to what was originally a three-storey shop with offices above. It features a V-shaped facade (windowless on the upper floors) which creates a novel street front courtyard.
1881-97 - Perth Railway Station, Wellington Street, Perth, WA
The main Perth Railway Station building and platforms were built in 1881, when the line connecting Fremantle with Guildford was opened. The station was designed by George Temple-Poole and constructed in several stages but an intended additional floor and central tower were never built. The station replaced the original one on this site. Lady Robinson, wife of the Governor, laid the foundation stone in 1880. The central section of the building was finished in 1894, the west wing being added in 1896 and the east wing, completing the structure, in 1897. The station building, then known as the Metropolitan Railway Station, was planned only as the forerunner of a much more grandiose edifice of five storeys. The Horseshoe Bridge, built in 1904, amid public debate, curls around and above the station's western end and takes William Street over the railway line.
A section of the Horseshoe Bridge
During the 1970s, Perth Railway Station became the subject of fierce town planning controversy, with the public joining the fray with impassioned comment. The station stands squarely in the centre of the area that was planned for the extension of Forrest Place and obstructs the grand boulevard designed to sweep from the heart of Perth to the new Cultural Centre, north of the railway line. Most of the many plans that were put forward envisaged the demolition of the station and sinking the railway line into a cutting. Final plans leave the station in place but inclue the sinking of all lines on its western side.
The original station building is constructed of red brick with stucco decoration, which is presently painted. The massive appearance of the facade is enhanced by a three storey central section that is capped with a gable roof. The exterior of the building's walls are capped with a parapet with Italianate balustrading. The paint coat obscures the original red brick and stucco decoration which were typical of the Classically derived buildings of the period. The original ground floor arcades have been enclosed.