The Aviation Museum of Central Australia, the Strehlow Research
Centre and the Araluen Art Centre all lie within the Alice Springs
Cultural Precinct, where a single entrance fee allows you to enter each
of these attractions. The Aviation Museum houses a collection of
aircraft and memorabilia associated with aviation in the Northern
Territory, from the pioneering day to the present.
The historic hangar in which the museum is housed was purchased in
pre-fabricated form from the Sydney Williams Company in 1939 by
prominent local aviation figure Eddy Connellan. It was constructed at
the town Aerodrome in Alice Springs by the staff of Connellan Airways,
and various extensions were added prior to the Aerodrome's closing in
1968. In 1979 the Central Australian Aviation Museum Society
extensively restored the building with funds from the Northern
Location: Memorial Avenue, Alice Springs. Ph (08) 8951 5532.
The Kookaburra Memorial
Beside the museum is a memorial dedicated to the memory of Keith
Anderson and Bob Hitchcock who made a forced landing in the Tanami
Desert in their aircraft named the "Kookaburra", on 10th April 1929
while on their way to search for Charles Kingsford Smith and Charles
Ulm. Keith Anderson and Bob Hitchcock perished in the desert, while
Kingsford Smith and Ulm were rescued.