The Knuckey Lagoons Conservation Reserve is a small wetland located
in a semi urban area on the outskirts of Darwin, the capital of the
Northern Territory. This Conservation Reserve is a significant wildlife
habitat and provides an important opportunity for the public to view
flora and fauna in their natural state.
The Reserve contains four natural depressions of varying size that
fill with water and at times combine to form one large body of water
covering approximately 54 ha.
The Reserve also protects areas of cultural significance. The
Larrakia people speak for this land. The Aboriginal values relate to
the past and present use of the Reserve by Aboriginal people. The
historical values of the Reserve relate to its use as a recreational
area by Darwin residents and the use of the Reserve by the defence
forces during World War II.
What to See and Do
Bird watching and other wildlife observation is the main activity.
This prominent lagoon or lagoons was named by Surveyor General GW
Goyder during the Survey of the Port Darwin and Environs in 1869 after
Richard Randall Knuckey, his Senior Surveyor, who took a leading part
in the survey. Knuckey also surveyed part of the Overland Telegraph
Line in later years. Born in Cornwall (England), Knuckey was educated
in Kadina (SA), trained as a surveyor in Adelaide and served in the
Northern Territory. This locality was removed from the Berrimah
suburban area in the "City of Darwin".