Palmerston is a planned satellite city of Darwin, the capital and
largest city in Australia's Northern Territory. Situated near Darwin
Harbour, Palmerston had a population of 27,618 at the 2011 census,
making it the smaller of the two cities in the sparsely populated
Northern Territory. Palmerston is currently the fastest growing
locality in the Northern Territory and has briefly in the past held the
title of the fastest growing city in Australia.
Where is it?: Palmerston is situated between the outer industrial
areas of Darwin and the rural areas of Howard Springs. The city is
located between the outer industrial areas of Darwin and the rural
areas of Howard Springs, 21 kilometres south-east of Darwin.
Transport: The city has a network of approximately 32 km of bicycle
paths, most of which are lit for night-time usage. There is also a
public bus service operated by Darwinbus that offers transportation
around Palmerston, into Darwin City and out to Darwin's Northern
Suburbs. Darwin City Airport is the closest air terminal. The airport
is located in the Darwin suburb of Marrara, approximately 20 minutes
away from Palmerston.
There are eighteen suburbs in Palmerston, ten of which are close to
the Palmerston city centre. Palmerston is mostly residential with two
light industrial areas in the north of the city.
Like the rest of the Top End, Palmerston has a tropical climate,
with a wet season and a dry season. It receives heavy rainfall during
the Wet, and is well known for its spectacular lightning.
Palmerston was the name chosen in 1864 for the capital of the
Northern Territory by the South Australian Government (which was then
responsible for its administration) in recognition of Lord Palmerston,
who became Prime Minister of the United Kingdom in 1855. The first
site, as chosen by Boyle Travers Finniss at Escape Cliffs near the
mouth of the Adelaide River, on the coast of Adam Bay on the western
side of the Cape Hotham peninsula in 1864, was abandoned in 1867 and a
second laid out by Surveyor-General George Goyder near Port Darwin in
1869. The town was officially renamed Darwin in April 1911 after
responsibility for the Northern Territory passed to the Commonwealth of