Eumundi is a small town on the Sunshine Coast hinterland in
Queensland, 21 km south-west of Noosa Heads and 118 km north
of Brisbane. It is located just off the Bruce Highway. Nearby towns are
Yandina and Cooroy.
Eumundi is very popular on the coast for its bi-weekly farmer's
markets. The marketplace is full of locally-made produce, which has
made Eumundi and the surrounding area a haven for small businesses.
The town name is thought to be derived from "Ngumundi" or
"Huomundy". This is the name of a local Aboriginal warrior said to have
adopted escaped convict Bracefield as his son in 1831.
From the early 1850s, most of the area around the Eumundi district
was part of three cattle runs: Canando, Yandina and North Kenilworth.
In 1867, after the discovery of gold at Gympie, the first road was
marked and cleared. By 1879, George Gridley became the first selector
to reside permanently in the Eumundi district. This started a wave of
new selectors and by 1885, 47 selections were taken up. Some of the
pioneers settlers included Fullager, Cowell, Burrel, Ball and Arrundell.
In 1882, Fullager selected Portion 110. This was forfeited and the
Crown took over. Town blocks were surveyed and divided in 1890. The
town's name is believed to come from the Kabi name Ngumundi, the name
of a local Indigenous clan leader. The locality's original name was
Eerwah after Mount Eerwah; this was changed to avoid confusion with the
nearby town of Beerwah.
View Larger Map
At the turn of the century, shops started to line the newly formed
streets and town businesses developed. By the end of the decade there
were several general stores, butcher shops, bakery, saddler, blacksmith
and auctioneers. After the railway opened from Yandina to Cooroy in
1891 along with the road to the north passing through the town, Eumundi
developed as an important centre of the timber and dairying industry.
The surrounding country consisted of dense scrub full of pine, beech
and cedar and long ridges covered with tallowood and blackbutt. George
Etheridge, in 1895, moved his sawmill from Petrie's Creek (Nambour) to
Main Camp and in 1900 moved it once again to Eumundi. It functioned
here until 1938.