One of the most picturesque villages in the Blackall Range. Flaxton
is a rural/residential locality between the villages of Mapleton and
Montville. It is 10 km south of Nambour.
Location: 113 km north of Brisbane.
Places of interest: Mapleton Falls National Park (Mapleton Falls, 120
metres high; Pencil Creek; The Wampoo Circuit Walk); Mapleton State
Forest (11,000 ha., The Pilularis Walk); Flaxton Barn and Model Railway.
The Blackall Range began drawing tourists and holiday makers in the
early 1900s, mostly to Flaxton's neighbouring villages, but in the
postwar years Flaxton's natural attractions and uncluttered roadside
had increasing appeal. There are now numerous craft outlets, the
Flaxton Barn (antiques, gifts), accommodation places and a motel.
Locals have a community hall. The Maleny Forest Reserve and the
Kondalilla National Park are west of Flaxton's main road.
Mapleton Falls National Park is part of a network of parks and forests
that protect the Blackall Range's remnant forest communities, provide
essential wildlife habitat and scenic places for nature-based
recreation. Rainforest and open eucalypt forest communities are
protected here. Pencil Creek forms Mapleton Falls, plunging 120m into
the valley below. During warmer months listen for frogs in the pool
beside the causeway. Take a close look at rocks around the pool and
you'll see distinctive hexagonal shapes formed by volcanic activity 25
million years ago. To access the Park, take the Obi Obi Road and travel
3km further to the signposted turnoff to Mapleton Falls.
View Larger Map
Like other areas of the Blackall Range, the district was first
subdivided into small agricultural lots in the 1880s. The town was
established at that time. From its beginning Flaxton was a farming
locality, relying on nearby villages for supplies and schooling. In
1902 the post office directory recorded seven farmers and selectors at
Flaxton, together with a sawmill. By 1925 there were many more farms,
all of them orchards. Bananas and citrus were the main crops, although
these tended to be displaced by pineapples in the 1930s. There were a
local fruit growers association and a fruit-packing shed (1931).
Origin of name: Flaxton was named in 1890 when the Postal Department
set up a Receiving Office at the residence of JC Wyer, recalling a
place 12 km north of York in North Yorkshire, England, where he was