An attractive village situated in the hills of the Sunshine Coast
hinterland. The town hosts the Kenilworth Scarecrow and Limerick
Festival held every year in September or October.
Location: 154 km north of Brisbane to the west of Nambour.
The Imbil State forest and Kenilworth homestead are north of the
township. The heritage-listed Kenilworth homestead (1865) and pastoral
property were part of the Obi Obi pastoral run dating from 1850s.
Kev FranziKev Franzi Movie Museum: Australian cinematographer Kev
Franzi lives and breathes Australian cinema, and after more than 60
years in the industry, he knows a thing or two about being behind the
scenes. Over the years, he has amassed a priceless collection of
memorabilia including wooden hand-cranked cameras, projectors, film
reels and some truly historic items which he said had been gathered
over a "simply wonderful" career in film. He shares it all with anyone
who is interested at a movie museum he has established under his house
near Kenilworth. It’s a wonderland of photographic and video
history, complete with a life-sized cutout of Marilyn Monroe and a
camera used to film the iconic "Skippy" TV series.
Natural features: Mary River; Blackall Range; Kenilworth Forest Reserve
(Little Yabba Creek; Booloumba Creek; Booloumba Falls; Goldmine Walk
Interpretative Trail; The Breadknife rock formation; Peters Creek
Walk); Conondale National Park (Conondale Range); Gheerulla State
Forest (Gheerulla Creek)
Brief history: Early explorers who passed through the area included
Ludwig Leichhardt and several sheep farmers. In 1850, Richard Smith
selected the Kenilworth cattle run of 16,000 acres on the east bank of
the Mary River. The 1884 Land Act led to pastoral land in the
Kenilworth area being resumed, surveyed and made available for
selection. Farm sizes in this area ranged between 160 and 640 acres.
The new settlers in the Kenilworth and Belli areas developed a varied
economy in the early period. Most grew maize and vegetables.
More and more dairy cattle were brought to the Kenilworth area in the
early years of 1900. The town of Kenilworth was surveyed in 1921. The
influx of people to take up the new farms made Kenilworth one of the
big growth areas in the Maroochy shire during the 1920s. Kraft opened a
dairy factory in 1952. After Kraft withdrew in 1989 the factory was
locally acquired and converted to speciality cheese-making.
View Larger Map
Origin of name: Richard Smith set up a cattle run on the east bank
of the Mary River in 1850. At the time his wife was reading Sir Walter
Scott's novel "Kenilworth" and she decided to name the property
"Kenilworth" after the novel. The book's title recalls a town in
Warwickshire, England. The town was surveyed off Kenilworth Station in
1921 and took the name of the Station.