You are here: Home > About Australia > Australia's Place Names > Queensland
Place Names: Queensland, the Steets of Brisbane

The Brisbane city centre was laid out in 1840 and 41 by surveyor Robert Dixon who, with fellow surveyors James Warner and Granville Stapylton, were commissioned by Colonial Engineer, Major George Barney, to fulfill Governor Gipps' order to lay out the Moreton Bay settlement. Gipps' requirement was for subdivision into blocks 10 chains long and one chain wide. Stapylton's replacement, Henry Wade, drew up the first plan of Brisbane. A rectangular grid was adopted with Queens Street in front of the Prison Barracks to provide the main alighment. Gipps ordered that the streets be a narrow one chain wide, but Wade made Queen Street wider than the rest. The reason for the narrowness of the streets appears to be either that Brisbane was never expected to grow into anything more than a country town, or to provide shade in the hot climate and create draughts by having buildings close together. Names chosen for the initial street grid were from the British royal family - the north-east streets were named after Queens and princesses (Anne, Adelaide, Elizabeth, Charlotte, Mary and Margaret); the north-west streets after Kings (William, George, Albert [Queens's Consort] and Edward).
The plan was later criticized for its failure to set aside adequate land for parks, gardens and other public use, and the limited extent of river frontage suitable for roads, wharves and public access. The first blocks of land were sold on 14th July 1842, mostly in Sydney to residents of Sydney, though the surveys had been completed much earlier. The land was sold in 13 1/2 acre lots for £343.10s per acre. A financial crash in Sydney during the first year of sales, which pre-empted Australia's first recession, led to many properties being repossessed and sold off cheaply. North Brisbane towards the river soon developed the major commercial and business trade area, which is why the Customs Building was placed in North Brisbane rather than in the central district with other Government buildings.
Map of Brisbane Central Business District


Turbot Steet: A turbot is a type of fish, however it is believed the name originates from the Turrbal Aboriginal people who occupied the inner Brisbane region prior to European settlement. They knew the area that is now Brisbane as Meanjil. In 1823, three castaways (Pamphlett, Parsons and Finnegan) had a rather tense encounter with some of the Turrbal people in the vicinity of the present-day central business district. The shipwrecked timber-getters had earlier set out from Sydney in a sailing boat bound for the Illawarra district to cut cedar but were been blown off course.

Ann Street: There are two possibilities, both with a different spelling to the present name:
1. Princess Anne (right), Princess Royal and Princess of Orange (1709-1759), the second child and eldest daughter of George II and his consort, Queen Caroline. She was the wife of William IV of Orange, the first hereditary stadtholder of the Netherlands. Princess Anne was the second daughter of a British sovereign to hold the title Princess Royal, and later Princess-Regent of Friesland.
2. Queen Anne (1665 - 1714), who became Queen of England and Ireland and Queen of Scots on 8th March 1702. On 1st May 1707, when England and Scotland combined into a single state, Anne became the first sovereign of the Kingdom of Great Britain.
The latter appears the most likely as the street of the original grid of the City of Bribane were named after members of the British House of Hanover; Princess Anne was of that house, Queen Anne was the last monarch of the House of Stuart.

Adelaide Street: Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen (Adelaide Louise Theresa Caroline Amelia; later Queen Adelaide; 1792-1849), Queen Consort of King William IV. Prior to becoming Queen, she was known as HRH Duchess of Clarence. Three years earlier the town of Adelaide in South Australia had also been named after Queen Adelaide.

Burnett Lane: runs from George Street to Albert Street and was named after J. C. Burnett who made several of the earliest surveys of Brisbane. J. C. Burnett owned 10 acres of land on the eastern side of Mowbray Park. This area was bounded by Lytton Road, the Brisbane River and Eskgrove Street. Burnett's house was situated on what is now Laidlaw Parade. It was from this spot that Burnett left by a small ship to survey in 1847 the district surrounding Bundaberg - the Burnett. He died in 1854 and was buried in the old Paddington Cemetery.

Queen Street: Princess Adelaide of Saxe-Meiningen (Adelaide Louise Theresa Caroline Amelia; later Queen Adelaide; 1792-1849), Queen Consort of King William IV. Prior to becoming Queen, she was known as Her Royal Highness The Duchess of Clarence.

Elizabeth Street: Princess Elizabeth (1770-1840), the 7th child and 3rd daughter of King George III of the United Kingdom.

Charlotte Street: Queen Charlotte of Worttemberg, (born The Princess Charlotte, later The Princess Royal) (Charlotte Augusta Matilda), (1766-5-1828), the eldest daughter of King George III. She was later the Queen consort of Frederick I. Charlotte was the third holder of the title Princess Royal.

Mary Street: possibly named after Princess Mary, Duchess of Gloucester and Edinburgh (1776-1857), the eleventh (and last surviving) child and fourth daughter of King George III. It has also been suggested the name honours Mary O'Connell, daughter of Admiral William Bligh, but this seems highly unlikely. Mary's husband, Maurice O'Connell, was born in January 1812 in the officers quarters in the Military Barracks which were on the site now known as Wynyard Square, Sydney, NSW. O'Connell was appointed in 1848 as Commissioner of Crown Lands for the Burnett, the northern extremity of Australian Colonisations.

Margaret Street: recalls Margaret Tudor (1489-1541), the eldest of the two daughters of Henry VII of England and Elizabeth of York, and the elder sister of Henry VIII. In 1503 she married James IV, king of Scotland, thus becoming the mother of James V and grandmother of Mary Queen of Scots. Most important of all, Margaret's marriage to James was to lead directly to the Union of the Crowns. Fate, it was once argued, had intended Margaret to be Queen of Scots.

Alice Street: Possibly recalls The Princess Alice (Alice Maud Mary; 1843-78), the third child and second daughter of Queen Victoria. As the consort of Ludwig IV, Grand Duke of Hesse she was The Grand Duchess of Hesse. The street was named around the time of her birth.

Arcade Lane: runs from Edward Street to the rear of the General Post Office. The name was given as the entrance to the lane was opposite Henry Morwitch's Minories building and Grand Arcade. An arcade on a much smaller scale also ran from Queen Street to Edward Street. In 1960, the last remaining portion of Henry Morwitch's Minories building was sold to the Victorian Government Tourist Bureau. The name Minories comes from a street in Aldgate, London.

Edison Lane: (originally Post Office Lane) ran from Creek Street to the rear of the General Post Office. Barton and White, the firm of electrical engineers which first generated electrical power in Brisbane had their premises in the lane. It became Edison Lane in the late 1890s. The name recalls electrics pioneer Thomas Edison.

Parbury Lane: ran from Eagle Street towards the river and continues in a right hand turn to join Creek Street. It provided entrance to the wharves at which were berthed the ships under the agency of Parbury Lamb and Company. Edward Parbury, one of the partners of this early established shipping firm, died at Launceston Tasmania in July 1881.
The sign on the side of a building at the Eagle Street entrance once read Parbury Street while a sign on a post on the footpath a metre away showed the words Parbury Lane.

Eagle Lane: (originally Queen's Lane) ran from Creek Street to a "T" end which entered Queen Street and Eagle Street near the intersection of these streets. It gave access to the rear of the buildings situated in the triangular block bounded by Queen, Creek and Eagle Streets. It most probably recalls a business or trader at this locality.

Petrie Terrace: recalls explorer, grazier and friend of Aboriginals, Andrew Petrie. He arrived in Brisbane Town in 1837 as a government appointee to supervise the building of the town. He became Brisbane's first free settler. Petrie, a notable builder and stonemason, was unanimously elected as Brisbane's first mayor. 

Billett Street: In the early days of the Moreton Bay settlement, convicts used to be billetted from a convict station here. Billett Street used go from Gregory Terace down and left towards Rodgers Street. It dropped away from where the entrance to the Holy Family Chapel is today to the level of the back entrance of the Campbell Centre. St Joseph's College bought Billett Street from the Brisbane City Council in 1986.
More ...

Riverside Expressway: descriptive.

Quay North: descriptive of the wharves here where goods were offloaded in colonial times. The present roadway in the Gardens, which extends from the Edward Street entrance, was originally to be named Eastern Quay and was planned to continue around the Gardens riverside frontage and at the southern end was to be known as South Quay. This planned roadway extended up the western side of the Domain area to Alice Street and was to be named Western Quay. However, on the granting of Separation from NSW in 1859, and the consequent foundation of the Colony of Queensland as it was then called, the newly constituted Government abandoned the plan and the Government Residence and Parliament House were built on the western side of the area. The name of North Quay thus stems from this and is the only remaining link of this historic plan.

William Street: Prince William, Duke of Clarence, the brother of King George IV, who reigned as King William IV (1765-1837) after George IV's death in 1830. Three years earlier, Adelaide's King William Street had also been named after King William IV.

George Street: King George IV (1762-1830), who reigned from 29th January 1820 until his death 10 years later.

Albert Street: Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Francis Augustus Charles Albert Emanuel, later HRH Prince Consort) (1819-1861), the husband and consort of Queen Victoria. He was the only husband of a British queen regnant to have formally held the title of Prince Consort.

Edward Street: named after either King Edward VII or (more likely) Prince Edward Augustus, Duke of Kent and Strathearn (1767-1820), the fourth son of King George III and the father of Queen Victoria.

Felix Street: not known. It most probably recalls a business or trader at this locality.

Isles Lane: (originally Foundry Lane) between Queen and Adelaide Streets. This lane was called Foundry Lane until 1916. The name was originally given to this lane because it led to the foundry of A. Cameron where the first iron casting in Brisbane was made in July 1862. The Cameron name was seen on many of the early cast iron pillar letter boxes of the town. It was here that much of the iron palisading used to ornament and enclose the verandahs of Victorian era Brisbane homes was made. After the end of the 1914-1918 war, a syndicate proposed to widen the lane and create an imposing thoroughfare similar to Martin Place, Sydney. Due to the high cost of resumptions, the scheme did not materialise. The origin of the name 'Isles' has been lost. It most probably recalls a business or trader at this locality.

Herschell Street: runs from North Quay to Roma Street. It originally ran through to Upper Albert Street but the portion from Roma Street to Albert Street was resumed when the railway line was constructed. Herschel Street was named after Sir John F. W. Herschel (1792-1871), a noted astronomer born at Slough, England. He was considered a prodigy in science, made important discoveries in photography, received the Astronomical Society's Gold Medal. He was a closefriend of Sir Thomas Brisbane who likewise was a keen astronomer and Herschel Street was named as a token of their friendship. Sir John Herschel was buried in Westminster Abbey near the grave of Sir Isaac Newton.

Stanley Street: Stanley Quay, as it was originally named, was created after the survey in 1842 by Henry Wade of the allotments near the area from the present Grey Street Bridge along towards Russell Street. Stanley Quay was named after Lord Stanley who, was Colonial Secretary in Lord Robert Peel's Ministry in England during, the year of Wade's survey in 1842.
In the course of time the thoroughfare was greatly extended beyond the riverside area and consequently the term Quay, as applied to it, was considered a misnomer and the name Stanley Street was adopted. It is the longest street (50 km) in Brisbane and had the dubious distinction of having the largest number of hotels - seventeen - in its first 30 km.

Creek Street: The street follows the path of a former watercourse. The creek which ran from The Reservoir - a pool of water extending in a diagonal direction across the middle of the block of land from Herschel Street towards where the then Brisbane Fruit Exchange situated in Turbot Street continuedas far as the present site of the City Hall. It then flowed through the centre of the city blocks between Albert and Creek Streets, where it turned sharply towards Queen Street . The creek then veered towards the site of the Commercial Bank of Sydney building and made a double turn across Eagle Lane and finally turned further to the right before entering the Brisbane River.

Market Street: Brisbane Fruit Exchange operated here in the early colonial days. The market was established in 1860 and product was delivered to the Market by river barges.

Hutton Lane: George Samuel Hutton (1848-1913), accountant and Freemason. Hutton was a member of the Brisbane board of advice for the Federal Institute of Accountants, and founder and principal partner of G. S. Hutton & McFarlane, and a prominent figure in the business world.

Eagle Street: Possibly because it once led along the riverbank to Eagle Farm. That suburb's name is believed to have been derived from the presence of Wedge-tailed Eagles in the area.

Wharf Street: the street led to the main cargo wharves on the Brisbane River.

Clark Lane: (originally part of Eagle Street). This lane was originally called Eagle Street which began at Creek Street on the southern side of the creek and ran along the Petrie's Bight part of Queen Street up to Anne Street (as originally spelled) through the lane now known as Clark Lane. This lane was named after John Allworth Clark, a merchant tailor and wool importer who had one of his business premises on the corner where Clark Lane, Adelaide and Queen Streets converged. He was Mayor of Brisbane in 1891.
Clark Lane was a means of entrance to St. John's Anglican Cathedral Deanery. The Deanery was originally the residence of Dr. Hobbs, the surgeon of the Chasely who arrived in Brisbane on 1st May 1849. This residence was considered the finest in Brisbane and on the foundation of the Colony of Queensland in 1859, Dr. Hobbs' house became the first Government Residence.


Brisbane GPO

General Post Office Lane: ran from Queen Street to Elizabeth Street entirely on Post Office property and was included in the original block reserved for the Post Office in 1865. It was originally the southern side of the General Post Office built in 1872 and gave access to the posting boxes and when the Electric Telegraph Office was completed in 1879, the archway connecting the two buildings formed the present lane. The lane on the southern side of the Electric Telegraph Office next to the old entrance to the Commonwealth Bank was formed after that building was completed.

Fish Lane: (originally Soda Water Lane) this lane originally ran from Stanley Street to Grey Street. It was part of the rear portion of the reserve of 21Ъ2 acres granted to the Church of England in January 1851, but it was not dedicated as a public lane however until the time when Melbourne Street (which is on the frontage of the land) was widened in 1924. Fish Lane was then extended in a westerly direction through three adjoining blocks to Manning Street. It most probably recalls a business or trader at this locality.

Soda Water Lane: received that name as the Eudone Aerated Water Company had its factory at that address from the early 1870s. George Fish was Secretary of the Brisbane Steam Laundry at the corner of Stanley Street and Soda Water Lane from the early 1880's. He was an Alderman in the South Brisbane City Council from 1901 to 1903. The business originally managed by him was removed to large premises in Ann Street, Fortitude Valley in 1903 and continued as the Fish Steam Laundry Pty. Ltd. Soda Water Lane became Fish Lane in 1904.

Keid Lane: runs off Boundary Street, Spring Hill. It was named after Chas. Keid who arrived with his wife Jane in the sailing ship Fortitude in January 1849 under the immigration scheme sponsored by Rev. Dr. John Dunmore Lang; Charles Keid was a gardener by occupation and in June 1857 he purchased the land. The Alliance Hotel at the corner of Boundary Street and Leichhardt Street (now St. Paul's Terrace) is on the corner of the land once owned by Chas. Keid.

Boundary Lane: formed the northern top of Boomerang Street near the Tramways Department's building which had a frontage to Coronation Drive This lane was an historical link with part of the description given by the Colonial Secretary of New South Wales, Sir Charles Cowper on 6th September 1859 when Brisbane was made a city in the year the Colony of Queensland was proclaimed.
An abridged description of the western boundary would be that it continued from Cemetery Street (now Hale Street) to the north corner of D. R. Somerset's 2 acres by the south west side of the road forming the north east boundary of that land to a small creek to the Brisbane River and by a line across the river and along Boundary Street. The creek area had long been filled in and was the site of the Tramways Department offices and workshops. The tiny Boundary Lane was in the early days Brisbane western boundary.

Makerston Street: runs from Roma Street to North Quay is incorrectly shown in its present spelling. The street name should appear as Makerstoun (or as it sometimes appears as Mackerstoun) which was Sir Thomas Brisbane's home and observatory near Kelso in the north east of Scotland.

Wickham Street: recalls Capt. John Clements Wickham R.N. who, in his official capacity played such an important part from 1846 to 1859 in Brisbane Town, Moreton Bay Settlement and who saw much of its early history made. This street, from the northern end of the city when joined by Queen Street, was for a long time a central commercial street of Brisbane which had grown more than a hundred-fold in area, population and trade since the days when J. C. Wickham was its leading citizen.

Countess Street: see Roma Street.

Roma Street: Countess and Roma Streets in the inner city of Brisbane were named in honour of Lady Diamantina Bowen, wife of the Governor. Lady Bowen before her marriage to Sir George Ferguson Bowen was Countess Diamantina di Roma. She was a Countess in her own right and her name was inscribed in the Libre d'Or, the record kept of ancient Venetian families. Sir George Ferguson Bowen was the first Governor of the newly proclaimed State of Queensland from 10th December 1859 to 4th January 1868.

Kennedy Street: recalls Sir Arthur Edward Kennedy, Governor of Queensland from 11th April 1877 to 2nd May 1883.

Makerston Street: runs from Roma Street to North Quay is incorrectly shown in its present spelling. The street name should appear as Makerstoun (or as it sometimes appears as Mackerstoun) which was Sir Thomas Brisbane's home and observatory near Kelso in the north east of Scotland.

Flavelle Street: Henry Favelle of the jewellery, watchmaking and optical firm (1863) of Flavelle Roberts and Sankey Ltd.

Sankey Street / Road: Major J Sankey of the jewellery, watchmaking and optical firm (1863) of Flavelle Roberts and Sankey Ltd.


Suburban streets and roads

Guthrie Street, Paddington: John Guthrie was a very early resident of Brisbane. He was a solicitor by profession, and a member of the Queensland Turf Club Committee in 1880. After his election to the Ithaca Divisional Board in 1881 he continued to serve as a member for several years. He passed away at his home at Lutwyche, Brisbane in 1888.

Caswell Street, East Brisbane: named after T. W. Caswell who was a member of the Woolloongabba Divisional Board (the previous municipal authority of the South Brisbane City Council in the 1880s). T. W. Caswell once owned the land on which the Woolloongabba Post Office is now situated.

Longlands Street, East Brisbane: runs from Vulture Street East to Deshon Street, Woolloongabba. From the year 1881 until 1886 this street was called Longland Street but from 1887, probably due to careless articulation the name has been shown and pronounced as Longlands Street. See above for origin of name.

Wellington Road, East Brisbane: formerly called East Boundary Road as it formed the original eastern boundary of early Brisbane township. It recalls William Wellington Cairns who was Governor of Queensland from 3rd January 1875 to 14th March 1877. Ten other thoroughfares in Brisbane are called Wellington, all thus named out of the continuing colonial fascination with the deeds of the Duke of Wellington.

Cairns Street, East Brisbane: the centre of three adjoining streets bearing the names of Governors Cairns, Blackall and Kennedy, while three other thoroughfares in Brisbane suburbs perpetuate the name of Cairns. It recalls William Wellington Cairns was Governor of Queensland from 3rd January 1875 to 14th March 1877.

Blackall Street, East Brisbane: recalls Colonel Samuel Wensley Blackall (1809-71), an Irish soldier and politician, who was the second Governor of Queensland from 1868 until he died in office in 1871.

Caswell Street, East Brisbane: named after T. W. Caswell who was a member of the Woolloongabba Divisional Board (the previous municipal authority of the South Brisbane City Council in the 1880s).

Anthony Street, West End: adjoining Musgrave Street off Montague Road near Davies Park. It recalls Sir Anthony Musgrave was Governor of Queensland (see Musgrave Street below).

Musgrave Street, West End: adjoining Anthony Street off Montague Road near Davies Park. It recalls Sir Anthony Musgrave was Governor of Queensland from 6th November 1883 to 9th October 1888.

Suburban streets and roads

Palmer Street, Toowong: Sir Arthur Hunter Palmer administered the Colony for three periods, viz. from 2nd May 1883 to 6th November 1883, from 9th October 1888 to 1st May 1889 and from 15th November 1895 to 9th April 1896. He was also Premier from 1870 to 1874. Palmer Street, Windsor, Brisbane, Hunter Street and Palmer Street in the Toowong Suburb, are called him.

Wiles Street, Camp Hill: named after the original owners of the area of land (781 acres) Louis Wiles, Henry Wiles, James Kelley and Daniel Mahony who were tenants in common from 2nd March 1863.

Longland Street, North Fortitude Valley: was originally named Victoria Street but the name was changed to Longland Street in 1887. The name recalls David Ferdinando Longland who arrived in Brisbane aboard the sailing ship Chaseley on 1st May 1849. He was appointed in 1857, Foreman of Works under the NSW Government and continued to hold various appointments with the Queensland Government after Separation from that Colony (1859) until his retirement in 1879.
Two of Longland's best remembered works, at that time, were the Breakfast Creek Bridge, built under his supervision in 1858 near the mouth of Breakfast Creek, and the original Bowen Bridge over Breakfast Creek at the site of Lutwyche Road. The construction of these two bridges were in those early times regarded as considerable undertakings.

Stratton Street, North Fortitude Valley: runs from Commercial Road to Longland Street, North Fortitude Valley. It takes the name of Stratton, a large house with a substantial brick plastered wall at the corner of Commercial Road and Doggett Street. This house was built by D. F. Longland, and was his residence for several years.

Boggo Road: The suburban district of Boggo, (a corruption of the Aboriginal word, Bolgo) was situated in that area of land bounded by the South Brisbane Cemetery, the Brisbane River, Long Pocket Reach and up along the river to the area east of the Salvation Army Girls' Home. Boggo Road led to this settlement and ran from the Clarence Hotel or corner when the One Mile Swamp was on the left hand side opposite the Mater Misericordiae Hospital. The corruption of the name from Bolgo to Boggo was no tax on the imagination owing to the boggy state of the track which lay in the low lying area between the hills on both sides.

Favelle Street: named after a member of the long established jewellery, watchmaking and optical firm (1863) of Flavelle Roberts and Sankey Ltd. The premises of this firm were, until its trading operations ceased in 1949, in those later occupied by Rockmans Ltd. - 150 Queen Street Brisbane. It was to this firm in 1868. that James Nash, the discoverer of the Gympie goldfield brought the 621 ounces of gold for testing and weighing by Mr. Flavelle.

Sankey Street/Sankey Road: named after a member of the long established jewellery, watchmaking and optical firm (1863) of Flavelle Roberts and Sankey Ltd. Major J. R. Sankey, a partner of the firm, was also actively interested in the Volunteer Military Forces in the 1900s. He owned three blocks of land aggregating 395 acres to the south east of White's Hill and also near Pine Mountain.

Maynard Street, Buranda: Henry A. Maynard was Chairman of the Woolloongabba Divisional Board in 1882. These Boards were the forerunners of Municipal Councils. He was also manager of the East Brisbane Rope and Cordage Works and resided in Boundary Street (now called Manilla Street) near Mowbray Park, East Brisbane.

Burton Street, Indooroopilly: recalls G. Burton, a member of the Taringa Divisional Board in the 1890's.

Stamm Street, Indooroopilly: commemorates the name of Louis Stamm (born 1808). He was of Polish descent and his father was a Colonel of Engineers in the Prussian Army. In the 1860s he came to Brisbane and purchased land on the western side of the now existing Indooroopilly Railway station.

Cooksley Street, Breakfast Creek: named after William John Farmer Cooksley who arrived in Moreton Bay in the year 1858. He was born in Somersetshire England in 1836. Cooksley was the first to build a cottage at Sandgate where he also invested in property at that seaside resort. Among his activities were the directorship of two of the most successful building societies in Brisbane at their early stages of development. In 1881 he was Alderman for the first borough of Sandgate and Mayor in 1885.

Shaftson Avenue: was originally called Bulimba Road then later became Shafston Road. The present name is Shafston Avenue. The name Shafston was given by Dr. Challinor, who in early days lived in Shafston House, in honour of his wife's birthplace in the West Indies.

Lucinda Street, Woolloongabba: recalls Jeannie Lucinda Musgrave (right), the wife of Sir Anthony Musgrave, Governor of Queensland, 6th November 1883 to 9th October 1888.

Vulture Street, Woolloongabba: was originally the South Boundary Road of the original mile square plan of Brisbane Town. It derived its name as did Leopard Street, Kangaroo Point, from the visit of two British Warships, HMS Vulture and HMS Leopard in the early 1850s.

Jamieson Street, Bulimba: In 1882, Robert Jamieson was a Councillor on the Bulimba Divisional Board.

Annerley Road: named in honour of Digby Frank Denham (right), the Premier of Queensland 1911-15. It was his birthplace in England.

Maynard Street: recalls Henry A. Maynard who was Chairman of the Woolloongabba Divisional Board in 1882.

Howard Street, Rosalie: named after Henry Howard Payne, one of the early settlers. He was born in Sleaford, Lincolnshire, England in 1822 and arrived in Moreton Bay Settlement, Brisbane in January 1851. Henry Payne was actively on the Ratepayers' Association of the districts surrounding his home

Deighton Road, Highgate Hill and Dutton Park: named after Edward Deighton who in November 1860 and June 1861 purchased eight portions of land in that area totalling 83 acres. Edward Deighton was chosen to organize the Department of the Colonial Architect under Charles Tiffin who held that position in the new Colony of Queensland. This department was amalgamated in 1871 with the Public Works Office and Deighton continued as Chief Clerk of the new department.
A number of nrighbouring streets were named after Deighton's family members:
Edward Street (now Grantham Street) and Deighton Road: recall his Christian and surname.
Cambridge Street (changed in 1905 to Park Road West): Cambridge was the birthplace of Deighton.
Stephens Road: name of Beauly Terrace in 1887) was named after the maiden name of Deighton's first wife.
Nelson Street: Nelson was the maiden name of Deighton's second wife).
Tillot Street: named after Horace Tillot Deighton, a so).
Gertrude Street: named after his daughter Gertrude.

Hazelmount Street, Bowen Hills: named after the residence of Acheson Overend who built the South Brisbane Dry Dock. The site of this fine home is now occupied by a service station.

Payne Street, Torwood: see Howard Street, Rosalie

Clewley Road, Martinedale: Charles Clewley Martindale was an early resident of the Oxley District (1868). He was treasurer of the Brisbane River Pioneer Sugar Co. Ltd. and owned 31 acres of land on Oxley Creek.

Cooksley Street, Sandgate: named after William John Farmer Cooksley who arrived in Moreton Bay in the year 1858. He was born in Somersetshire England in 1836. Cooksley was the first to build a cottage at Sandgate where he also invested in property at that seaside resort. Among his activities were the directorship of two of the most successful building societies in Brisbane at their early stages of development.

Cracknell Road: W. J. Cracknell was Superintendent of Electric Telegraphs in Queensland from the early 1860's until the 1880's.

O'Keefe Street, Buranda: Arthur John M. O'Keefe was born in Ireland in 1837 and came to Queensland in 1864. He was a descendant of the Kings of Spain. In the 1880s he was a member of the Woolloongabba Divisional Board.

Dickson Street Wooloowin: James Robert Dickson was a Councillor in 1890 of the Hamilton Divisional Board, which was originally part of the Toombul Divisional Board.

Lancaster Road, Ascot: John Lancaster was Chairman of the Toombul Divisional Board in 1896. He owned forty acres of land which is identifiable as the area bounded by Lancaster Road from the main entrance gate of Ascot Racecourse to Nudgee Road (Doomben Railway Station) to Beatrice Street to Racecourse Road.

Arnold Street, Manly: David Dalgliesh Arnold was a grazier and lived there in the year 1886.

Munroe Street, Auchenflower: S. E. Munro was the owner of 60 acres which was situated between Milton Road and Birdwood Terrace.

Lutwyche Road: Judge Alfred James Peter Lutwyche (right), the second resident Judge of the Moreton Bay Settlement.

Strong Avenue, Graceville: named after the late John Strong who owned about 95 acres of land bounded by Oxley Road, Magee Street, Allardyce Street, to Oxley Creek.

Webber Street: Bishop Webber was Bishop Tufnell's successor.

Bradshaw Street, Lutwyche and Wooloowin: recalls Thomas Bradshaw owned 40 acres in the area through which this street passes.

Massey Street, Hamilton: named after Daniel Wright Massey, a Councillor of the Hamilton Divisional Board in 1892.

Griffith Street, New Farm: Sir Samuel Walker Griffith administered the State of Queensland from 21st June 1901 to 24th March 1902.

Mulgrave Street, Spring Hill: after the second title of the Marquis of Normanby, George Augustus Constantine Phipps. He was Governor of Queensland from 12th August 1871 to 12th November 1874 held the titles Earl of Mulgrave, Viscount Normanby and Baron Mulgrave of Mulgrave all in the County of York in the Peerage of the United Kingdom and Baron Mulgrave of New Ross in the County of Wexford in the Peerage of Ireland, P.C. Governor and Commander in Chief of the Colony of Queensland and its dependencies.