Brookton is a typical small wheatbelt town spreading out on both sides of the railway line and the Great Southern Highway. The attractive old railway station in the centre of town has been converted into a tourist information centre.
Old Police Station Museum
The Old Police Station Museum, on the corner of Robinson Road and Grosser Street, is open from 1.00 p.m. - 4.00 p.m. on the second and fourth Saturdays of the month. It contains some early artifacts relating to policing in Western Australia as well as a good collection of local memorabilia.
Nine Acre Rock & Jack Hansen Ruins
Best viewed in winter, the ruins of the old house and sheds were built from rock, natural clay and bush timber from his property in approximately 1900. Jack Hansen was of Danish descent and became known in the area as the Animal Doctor. An ideal picnic ground in winter when the wildflowers are in full bloom and the view from this large expanse of rock is truly magnificent.
Boyagin Rock (10 km south-west) is an imposing outcrop which has been cracked and pitted by weathering. Boyagin Rock is a place of great cultural significance to Nyoongar people, who call it Boogin. They believe that if you walk to the top of the rock without stopping you will live a long life. Boyagin provides a refuge for a variety of wildlife including numbats, goannas, echidnas and Tammar wallabies.
Natural features: Yenyenning Lakes; Wabbing Hill; Miarunging Hill
Built features: old police station; railway station; St Mark's Anglican Church
View Larger Map
Where is it?
138 km south east of Perth
When the first white settlers moved into the area, Brookton was heavily timbered with white gums, York gums, jam and she-oak thickets and scrub. This was removed by axe, pick and burning. Not only did the early settlers destroy this vegetation but in the process they killed off wild turkeys, emus, the pouched mouse and the warrin, a small wallaby-like creature.
The Great Southern Railway was the catalyst which gave the isolated farms a centre. It arrived in 1884 with the establishment of the Seabrook Siding (named after the first settler, it was eventually changed to Brookton because there was another Seabrook near York). The siding inevitably attracted a few businesses and by 1903 the tiny settlement of Brookton comprised a school, hotel, bank and a few shops. In 1906 the Brookton Road Board was formed.
Brookton was one of the original stations on the Great Southern Railway which opened in June 1889. When first gazetted in 1895 it was named "Sea brook", but local acceptance of the station name resulted in the townsite being changed to Brockton in 1899.
The town is named after Brookton House, the property name of John Seabrook (1818-1891), who moved to this district soon after marrying in 1846. He was the first settler and founder of what is now known as the Brookton district.