The fourth largest city in Western Australia, Geraldton is a port
city and an important centre for mining, fishing, wheat, sheep and
Geraldton is the largest town in the Central West region and one of
the most attractive centres in Western Australia. It has the double
advantage of being the seaside resort for the wheat farmers from the
dry hinterland and, with an average of 8 hours sunshine every day,
being Western Australia's most popular winter resort. Equally, while
small townships like Cervantes, Jurien and Port Gregory have lobster
fleets, Geraldton has the largest lobster fleet on the west coast.
Popular surf spots include Flat Rocks, Back Beach, Greenough,
Glenfield and Sunset Beach. Geraldton is also an internationally
renowned windsurfing location. The most popular spot is Coronation
Beach, located just north of the town.
Geraldton has many great dive sites, such as the wreck of the South
Tomi, sunk in 2004, and trips out to the Abrolhos Islands are
available. These waters are said to be some of the best in the world,
especially in Australia, often having over 40m visibility.
Geraldton is an ideal base for exploring the mid-west region -
Dongara, Greenough, the Abrolhos Islands - and a well serviced stopping
place for travellers heading north to Northampton, Kalbarri, Shark Bay,
Carnarvon, Ningaloo Reef, North West Cape, the Pilbara and Kimberley
HMAS Sydney II memorial
The country's premier site for honouring HMAS Sydney's 645 sailors
who were lost off the Western Australian coast during World War II. The
location of both wrecks remained a mystery for over 66 years
until they were located in March 2008 by the Finding Sydney
On 11 November 1941, HMAS Sydney engaged in a confrontation with the
German raider Kormoran. The German vessel initially identified herself
falsely as a Dutch ship, then opened fire with guns and torpedo when
asked to give a secret call sign. Return fire led to the Kormoran's
crew abandoning ship, and both vessels were lost. 78 of its 393 were
Western Australian Museum Geraldton
This Museum, located at Batavia Coast Marina, celebrates the
environmental, social, cultural and economic stories of the Mid West
region of Western Australia and the outlying Abrolhos Islands. A major
feature are the stories from four major early shipwrecks located in the
region - the Batavia, Gilt Dragon, Zuytdorp, and Zeewijk, as well the
discovery of HMAS Sydney II, the pride of Australia's naval fleet, lost
in action in Novemver 1941.
Hanging above the museum's exhibitions is a replica of a Bristol
Tourer flown by WA Airlines Ltd; Australia's first commercial airline.
The company started operations in 1921 a year before QANTAS. Entry is
by a voluntary donation.
St Francis Xavier Cathedral
English born Priest architect Monsignor John Hawes arrived in
Geraldton in 1915 to take up the parish priest position. He
started work on the cathedral straight away; the foundation stone was
laid in 1916 and the building completed in 1938. It is regarded as one
of Monsignor Hawes finest works. Guided walks through the cathedral and
its crypt are available. The cathedral is one of a number of
ecclesiastical buildings in Western Ausralia's Mid West designed and
built by Monsignor John Hawes.
By any measure the cathedral is a hodge-podge of style. The twin
towers are similar to those on the Californian Mission Church at Santa
Barbara, the central dome has echoes of Brunellesci's cupola in
Florence, the main doorway is from the French Renaissance, there are
eight Romanesque columns inside, and the strange painting scheme
(orange and grey stripes) is reminiscent of the Eastern Orthodox
churches or even an Islamic mosque although Hawes' did say of the
colour scheme that it was drawn from the 'many churches and cathedrals
of Italy, such as Siena and Orvieto'. There is no doubt that the
interior of the church is as interesting, if not more interesting, than
the exterior. It is truly a remarkable and highly original piece of
Location: Cathedral Avenue, Geraldton. Ph (08) 9964 1608.
Point Moore Lighthouse
The lighthouse at Point Moor, for example, was built in 1878. It
stands 34 metres high and can be seen 26 km out to sea. Interestingly
the Point Moor lighthouse was pre-dated by the Bluff Point Lighthouse
which was completed in 1876. The Bluff Point Lighthouse was destroyed
by fire in 1952 (there is a monument where the lighthouse originally
stood) but the Lighthouse Keeper's Cottage still stands on Chapman Road
on the main northern entrance to the city. Built in 1876 the cottage is
now surrounded by beautiful gardens and now houses the Geraldton
Historical Society's Museum.
The Beatles sang about a Yellow Submarine, but the crayfishen of
Geraldton actually built one. One of the many icons of Geraldton, the
Yellow Submarine was designed and built in Dongara in the early 1970s
to look for where on the seabed the crayfish were. It has a small cabin
and room for two operators. It is amazing just how small the
cabin area is for the two people it takes to operate the submarine. The
project was a failure and the six tonne, privatelty-owned vessel is now
on display on the Geraldton foreshore of Town Beach. When it was
restored a decade ago, the submarine was stripped back and the rusting
parts were replaced, and windows were cut in the side to allow the
public to see inside the cabin and the original motor. This yellow
submarine has an almost identical (smaller) twin in Broome and that was
successfully used in the pearling industry.
Sunset Beach is located off Bosley St north of the city centre and
is perfect for fishing, swimming, relaxing and of course watching the
sunset. Dogs are permitted here and toilets and showers are close by.