Lake Grace

Lake Grace is a town located in the Eastern Wheatbelt region of Western Australia. It is a typical wheatbelt town with the inevitable grain silos, CBH bulk loading facilities and a pub.

At Lake Grace you can visit the only remaining Australian Inland Mission hospital in WA, established by Rev John Flynn OBE of RFDS fame. Walk through old style wards, duty room, kitchen and laundry to experience the atmosphere of an early twentieth century rural hospital. Stubbs Street, Lake Grace.

The Lake itself is part of an ancient river system which probably flowed more than 20 million years ago it was reduced to a lake about 5 million years ago and gradual silting made it into the shallow lake which exists today. The area around Lake Grace is noted for the variety of small mammals including the western mouse, white tailed dunnart, Mitchell's hopping mouse and the ashy-grey mouse.

The lake was given the name by Marshall Fox, the District Surveyor, in 1910. It is named after Grace Brockman, the wife of the then Surveyor General, Frederick S Brockman. Grace Brockman became famous in 1876 when she, as Grace Bussell, and her stockman Sam Isaacs, rescued many people from the wreck of the "Georgette" near the mouth of the Margaret River. On 13 January 2006, the town was flooded by Tropical Cyclone Clare, receiving 230 mm of rainfall. It was declared a disaster zone by the State Government. Just over a week later, the town was hit again by rain from Tropical Cyclone Daryl.


View Larger Map

Where is it?

345 km from Perth along State Route 107 between Wagin and Ravensthorpe.


John Holland Way

The John Holland Way a scenic route covering some 600kms of Australian Outback, connecting the regional townsites of Broomehill and Coolgardie is suitable for conventional two wheel drive travel and links together the fertile farming areas of the states south west corner to the mining riches of WA’s Goldfields.


Brief history

The area was first taken up for agriculture around 1911, and in 1913 a school was established here and named Lake Grace after the nearby lake. In 1914 the government planned to extend the railway network from Kukerin to Lake Grace, and local settlers lobbied for a townsite to be declared at the terminus.

The railway was completed on 25 November, 1916, and terminated close to the site of the existing school. The townsite was gazetted later in 1916. In 1922 the Reverend John Flynn visited the town to assess the suitability for establishing an Australian Inland Mission (AIM) hospital. The hospital he had built still stands and is one of three remaining Australian Inland Mission hospitals and is listed on local, state and national heritage registers.er and perhaps the one who first discovered the rock.

Design by W3Layouts | Content © 2013 Phoenix Group Co. | Sales: phone 1300 753 517, email: sales@pleasureholidays.com.au