A small fishing and holiday settlement on the coast north of Perth.
The sandhills behind the township are popular among dune buggy
enthusiasts. Lancelin and the nearby coastal townships of Seabird,
Ledge Point and Guilderton are lobster fishing settlements, but are
increasingly catering for weekenders and holiday makers. Kitesurfing
and windsurfing are popular in the ocean off Lancelin, as are
sandboarding and 4-wheel driving on the beaches and in the dunes behind
The area in which Lancelin is located is close to the shipwreck site
of the Vergulde Draeck or Gilt Dragon that was wrecked on rocks close
to shore in 1656.
Lancelin Island Nature Reserve
Lancelin Island Nature Reserve (500 metres off shore) is managed for
the conservation of flora and fauna. The island is an important
sanctuary for a variety of breeding seabirds, for several resident
landbirds and lizards and for resting sea lions. A variety of marine,
wading and land birds may be observed.
Moore River National Park
Situated west of the Brand Highway near Regans Ford and consists of
mainly banksia heathland. There are no facilities in the park. The
Moore River runs through the park on its way to the Indian Ocean where
the township of Guilderton is situated.
Guilderton (45 km south) is a small coastal fishing village at the
mouth of Moore River. Its name is a reference to some forty
17th-century silver guilder coins that were found in the sand in the
vicinity in the 1931. They came from the Vergulde Draeck (Gilt Dragon),
a Dutch trading ship wrecked off the coast in 1656. The coins were
thought to be from the wreck of the Dutch ship, the Vergulde Draeck
(Gilt Dragon) that had was later found to have foundered on a reef
north of the river-mouth near Ledge Point in 1656. The wrecksite was
found in April 1963. Guilderton was originally known as Gabbadah, an
Aboriginal term meaning "mouthful of water", until its gazetting as a
town in 1951, though the name Moore River remained in use for many
years. The river mouth regularly opens and closes depending on the
seasons, and alternates between a closed lagoon and a tidal estuary.
Soldiers used the area during World War II both for rest and recreation
and as a base for horseback beach patrols.
A small coastal village 105 km north of Perth and 10 km south
of Lancelin,Ledge Point was established to service the local fishing
and crayfishing industries. The town's name originates from the nearby
coastal feature of the same name, a series of rocky ledges on the point
that was first described in an 1875 hydrographic survey. In 1952 there
were three squatters' shacks that had been built in the reserve and
once a road was completed into the area in 1953 more people began to
request land leases. The government decided to subdivide the area in
1954 and sell blocks for retirees and holiday housing.