The Chichester Ranges in WA’s Pilbara region are a series of
low hills and mesas that dip gently into the Fortescue Valley to the
south. Covering an area of approximately 200,000 hectares around the
Fortescue River – the heartland of the Yindjibarndi people
– this National Park contains Millstream, a lush oasis of deep
gorges and palm-fringed rock pools provides a stark contrast to the
surrounding landscape of rocky escarpments and rolling spinifex-covered
hills. One of the most scenic attractions in the Park is Python Pool,
which is easily accessible by road. Deeper within the park are camping
areas at the beautiful Crossing Pool and Deep Reach, accessible only by
Millstream Chichester National Park is made up of the old
Millstream station which is on the Millstream Creek, just before it
joins Fortescue River one of the few permanent watercourses in the area
and the Chichester Range.
An enchanting tropical oasis amongst the red dust of the Pilbara, on
the road between the Hamersley Ranges and the coast. Thousands of birds
flock to this delightful spot, where ferns, palms and rushes grow in
abundance. Clear, soft water from an underground aquifer creates a lush
freshwater swimming spot at Chinderwarriner Pool, with over 36 million
litres of water produced daily. The adjacent Chichester Ranges contain
sediment-capped basalt ranges. It has rolling hills, hummocks of
spinifex, white barked snappy gums on the uplands, and pale coolabahs
along the water course.
The area is homeland of the Yinjibarndi people. Millstream Creek was
named by the explorer Francis Thomas Gregory in 1861. He reported the
favourable grazing prospects. The first pastoral lease was taken up on
1865. The present Millstream Homestead was built in 1920. The homestead
was a tavern between 1975 and 1986. In 1970, the Chichester Range
National Park was set aside and officially named. In 1975, the
Conservation through Reserves Committee made recommendations for
reserves in the Pilbara region, and subsequently, the Millstream region
was integrated into the park in 1982.
The Yinjibarndi people work as Rangers and contractors in the Park.
The visitors’ centre is in the old Homestead, and camping grounds
with a gas barbecue and pit toilets are located at Snake Creek,
Crossing Pool and Deep Reach Pool.