Nungarin is the typical wheatbelt town - characterised by a single
street with bulk loading facilities and a railway siding on one side of
the road and the pub and a few shops on the other side.
There are monthly Sunday markets in Nungarin and, each year of the
Queen's Birthday long weekend, the Friends of Mangowine put on a
twilight concert and has featured artists such as Jane Rutter, James
Morrison, Mary Schneider, Ross Maio and Graham Connors. Those wanting
to walk or climb will find a variety of rocks and reserves within the
Mangowine Homestead (16 km north) was built by Charles and Jane
Adams in the early 1870s. Around 1888 the homestead became an inn
serving the many diggers who passed by on their way to the goldfields.
It was at this time that an extra building was constructed (probably as
a boarding house) and the Adams were granted a license to operate as a
Wayside Inn. The license eventually lapsed with the arrival of the
railway, which ran through Merredin to Southern Cross, in 1893 and took
travellers away from Nungarin. The complex of buildings including the
homestead, the inn and an underground cellar for prisoners, is regarded
as one of the finest examples of early wheatbelt architecture - a
beautifully preserved homestead which captures the hardship of life in
Eaglestone Rock (21 km north east) is a natural granite rock with
interesting cave formations. Easy to climb, it offers panoramic
views of the Wheatbelt. The sparkling white crystal salt flats of
Lake Brown come right up to the eastern side of the rock.
Talgomine Rock, to the east of Nungarin, has a variety of
wildflowers and orchids on its eastern border. Climbing Mt Moore will
reward you with an extensive view to the north with Lake Campion in the
distance. Talgomine Rock was used as a visual navigation point by
flying schools in the area when training World War 2 pilots. Nungarin
also served as an Army Base Ordinance Depot and the associated building
(considered one of the largest wooden buildings in the Southern
Hemisphere) survives, and is still in use in Nungarin today.