The town of Pingrup was officially gazetted on May 9, 1924. It is a small agricultural based country town renowned for being a friendly, crime free and family oriented destination.

Chinocup Lake

Lake Bryde

Situated approximately 35km north-east of Pingrup, Lake Bryde is a great spot for bird lovers, there being 23 recorded species of waterfowl in these wetlands. Historically Lake Bryde was used as a water source during times of drought and is now a venue for picnicking and water based recreation.

Lake Bryde is an ephemeral wetland that is part of what is called the Chinocup Lake System, which runs in a north-south direction between Lake Grace and Pingrup. The pink is due to a microscopic salt-loving bacteria called Halo Bacteris that produces the red pigment. the lakes are part of an ancient river system.

Shearer's Hand Piece

This giant-size replica stands out in all its glory on top of what locals call the 'Shears Shed', encouraging visitors to investigate what it represents. At the height of the 1990s, shearers from around the State and the nation would come to Pingrup to pit their shearing skills against each other in regular competitions.

The shed is a perfect example of rural ingenuity and resourcefulness and a demonstration of the old adage 'waste not, want not'. Originally the CBH (Cooperative Bulk Handling) grain shed, when it was decommissioned the Kent Shire, local Lions Club and Pingrup community saw an opportunity to convert the shed into a Shearing Complex.

View Larger Map

Where is it?

61 km south east of Perth; 48 km south of Lake Grace; 65 km north west of Gnowangerup.

Gnamma Holes

The indigenopus people of the area used the area around the gnamma holes for watering and resting on their wanderings. Some of the holes stored water and others were used as fire holes. John Holland is believed to have discovered them during his journey to the Goldfields. The Gnamma Holes are about 35km northeast of town, so ask a local for directions and go on another treasure hunt.

Pingrup Races

They started as the good old-fashioned Picnic Races in 1919, but by 1950 the day was called The Sports & Foot Races! As the feet were getting sore, attention was then turned to horse racing. Today, Pingrup is one of only two affiliated tracks in Western Australia and, if you enjoy a flutter or a bit of Two-Up, then March is the time to head to the famous Pingrup Races.

Brief history

The name of the town is Indigenous Australian in origin and was the name of a lake that is close to the townsite.The meaning of the word is unknown. The name first appeared on charts of the area in 1873.

The townsite came into being as a terminus of the Nyabing railway when it was extended into the area in 1923. The townsite was gazetted in 1924.

Design by W3Layouts | Content © 2013 Phoenix Group Co. | Sales: phone 1300 753 517, email: