Quairading

A small service town in the central agricultural wheatbelt.

Quairading District Heritage Trail

The Quairading District Heritage Trail starts in the townsite of Dangin and helps visitors gain insight into Quairading’s early history. Signs will provide an insight into the history of the town. Then jump in the car and drive through surrounding farmlands retracing early pastoral development and visiting sites of natural and historical significance.


Toapin Weir

The heritage listed Toapin Weir is the largest and most comprehensive privately constructed reservoir and water scheme in Western Australia. It was brainchild of innovative private landowner Jonah Parker, who appointed experienced engineer T. C. Hodgson to design a weir to provide water to service his farm, the local town of Dangin, as well as provide water to the railway. An early example of a reticulated water system from a rock catchment being used for farm properties, Toapin Weir was completed in 1912. Today, Toapin Weir continues to function as an emergency reservoir and has also been enjoyed by the local community and visitors as a picnic area since its construction.


Pink Lake

Pink Lake is regarded as the local phenomena. It is located 11 kilometres east of town on the Bruce Rock Road which passes through the middle of it on an embankment. At certain times of the year the left side of the lake is a distinctive pink colour while the right side remains blue. Summer evaporation causes the water level to drop and salt builds up on the old trees and fence posts. When the water returns, the salt causes the pink colour.


View Larger Map

Where is it?

166 km east of Perth, 69 km from York on the road between York and Bruce Rock. Altitude 249 metres above sea level.


Quairading Nature Reserve

527 hectares of native bushland west of the town along the railway line to York. The reserve contains York Gum, Salmon Gum, Wandoo and Casuarina trees, and wildlife including the eastern wallaroo, grey kangaroo, echidnas, reptiles and birds.


Nookaminnie Rock

A large granite rock, Nookaminnie Rock provides a view over the town and surrounding areas. The townsite can also be viewed from Mount Stirling, 35 km north-east of Quairading.


History

The town's name is derived from the nearby Quairading Spring, an Aboriginal name first recorded by surveyor Alexander Forrest in 1872. The name may relate to "Quairit", an Aboriginal word for the eldest girl of a family, although it is more likely to be translated as "home of the bush kangaroo"- "quara".

In 1907 the government decided to build a railway from Greenhills (near York) to Quairading, and planned a townsite at the terminus. As the Quairading Spring was nearby this was selected as the name, but the district surveyor thought it should be spelt "Kwerading". Local usage of the Q spelling ensured the adoption of this name, and Quairading was gazetted a townsite in late 1907.

Design by W3Layouts | Content © 2013 Phoenix Group Co. | Sales: phone 1300 753 517, email: sales@pleasureholidays.com.au