The historic town of York, located an hour's drive east of Perth, has become a popular tourist destination.
The reasons for its appeal are twofold. Firstly it is ideally
located just over and hour from Perth, and secondly, as it was the
first inland European settlement in WA, it is full of really beautiful
old buildings. There is little doubt that it is one of the best
preserved and restored nineteenth century towns in Australia. A true
monument to the architecture of the late nineteenth century.
It was during the period 1886 to 1900 that most of the town's
impressive, and very solid, buildings were constructed. Most of those
buildings have survived and have been restored to the old splendour.
The town is today classified by the National Trust as York Historic
York Town Hall: When completed in 1911 the Town Hall boasted the
largest floor area of any such building in WA. Total restoration has
returned the hall to it's original splendour. The Tourist Bureau
offices are located in this building.
On 14th October 1968, an earthquake shook the region, destroying the
nearby town of Meckering. York Town Hall suffered some structural
damage and the Imperial Hotel's balcony collapsed.
Holy Trinity Church: Completed in 1854 and consecrated in 1858. The
interior is richly ornamented with stained glass windows designed by WA
artist Robert Juniper. The original High Alter and Walsingham Shrine
feature Juniper's paintings. The church also contains a rare Albert
Piesse pipe organ with eight bells.
Uniting Church: Built and opened in 1888 - the first minister, Rev
John Smithies, who came to York to establish the church and a native
mission, built what is now the 'Church hall' in 1852.
St Patrick's Church: The present Church's foundation stone was laid
on St Patrick's day, 1875, and completed in 1886. It features imported
Residency Museum: One of the oldest colonial houses in York built in
the 1840's as a home for the Resident Magistrate. It now houses an
interesting and vital record of early colonial life.
St Patrick's Church Hall: The original Catholic Church commenced in
1859 and dedicated to St. Patrick in 1860, still stands today is now
used as the Church Hall, situated in South Street on the front lawns of
Old York Hospital: Opened in 1896 which still retains a shingled roof.
Post Office: built in 1893 to the design of noted government architect George Temple-Poole.
Old Gaol & Court House: Build from local stone and opened in
1895 by Sir John Forrest the Court House has been restored by the
National Trust - you may view the restored prison cells and court
rooms. It is still used as Court of Petty Sessions.