You are here: Home > About Australia > Australia's Place Names > Western Australia
Place Names: Western Australian Towns


Agnew: Waroonga, which was the name of a local mine, was first suggested as the name of the town, but was discounted because of its similarity to Waroona, WA and Wahroonga in NSW. The name Agnew was suggested and accepted honouring a miner, John A Agnew of Bewick, Moreing & Co., a local mining firm.

Albany: The pioneer white settlement here was originally known as Frederickstown, after Frederick Augustus, second son of King George III, the Duke of York and Albany and Commander in Chief of the British Army. That name had disappeared by 1831 and the name Albany was retained for the whole town. The native name for King George Sound is Monkbeeluen.

Allanooka: A name of Aboriginal origin meaning hill of dogs: 'alla' - dog, 'nooka' - hill.

Ardath: the name is said to have been inspired by the book Ardath, The Story of a Dead Past, first published in 1897. The book refers to an ancient Chaldean prophet in a Book of Apocypha called Esdras. The prophet's name was Ardath.

Augusta: named after Princess and Landgravine Augusta of Hesse-Cassel (1797-1889), Duchess of Cambridge, 2nd daughter of King George III. Princess Augusta married Duke Adolphus Hanover Of Cambridge, son of George III Hanover King Of England and Charlotte. Nearby Cape Leeuwin, which is the most south westerly point in Australia, is named after the Dutch ship Leeuwin that first sighted the coast in this area in March 1622. The cape was given its name in 1801 by Matthew Flinders who paid homage to the earlier Dutch explorers.

Australind: a combination of the names Australia and india. The townsite was surveyed for the Western Australian Company and the 100,000 acre grant assigned to Col. Peter A Latour, May 1830. The Australind settlement, designed like Adelaide on the Wakefield principle, was formed in 1841 on the east side of Leschenault Inlet by the Western Australian Company. A townsite was surveyed and hundreds of small acreage farms were planned, but despite the labours of the company and Chief Commissioner Marshall Walter Clifton, it fell short of the vision.

Balladonia: A contraction of the native name for the Diamond Sock not far from Balladonia homestead. The name was originally spelt Ballajuinya but was changed to its present form by white men unfamiliar with the correct pronunciation.

Balingup: the townsite takes its name from Balingup Pool, located in Balingup Brook which flows through the town. The name was first recorded by a surveyor in 1850, and is said to be derived from the name of an Aboriginal warrior, Balingan.

Ballidu: The name Ballidu is the result of a compromise between the Department of Lands & Surveys and local residents. The Department wanted to name the place Duli, after nearby Duli Rockhole, and local residents wanted Balli Balli after a nearby soakage. The Secretary of the local progress association suggested combining the names to Ballidu, and the name was approved and a townsite gazetted in 1914. The street names in the townsite are the names of varieties of wheat. The Aboriginal word bal-lee which is similar to Balli means "on this side; this way; in this direction" in one south west dialect.

Bannister: Named in honour of Captain Thomas Bannister who passed through the area on an exploratory expedition with Mr Smythe of the Surveyor-General's Department and two servants in 1830-31. Capt. Bannister had bought the first allotment in Fremanle where he was also Government Resident in the town. The townsite was surveyed in 1844 by Augustus C Gregory but no subdivision was made. Another atempt at establishing the town in 1910 was cancelled. The townsite is over 60km from the localities now known as Banister and North Bannister.

Bencubbin: The name was suggested by the Chief Draftsman, J. Hope, in 1913, for the station at the terminus of the Wyalkatchem - Mt Marshall railway. It is derived from "Gnylbencubbing" the Aboriginal name for nearby Mt. Marshall. Interestingly, Surveyor J.S. Rowe ignored the Aboriginal name for the hill, choosing instead to name it after an Englishman because he despised Aboriginal names as he saw them as unpronounceable.

Beverley: named after a town in Yorkshire, England, by the Colonial Surgeon, Charles Simmons. Land at Beverley was set aside for the townsite in 1830. The town was established in 1838. It became a major transport terminus for a short time as it was here that the Great Southern Railway stopped in 1886.

Bindoon: Bindoon was gazetted as a townsite in 1953, but the name has been in use in this area for over 150 years. It is derived from the name given by an early settler, Mr William Locke Brockman, to his property surveyed here in 1843. Bindoon is an Aboriginal name, the meaning of which is uncertain, but some sources state it means "place where yams grow".

Bodallin: The townsite of Bodallin takes its name from the railway siding of this name, established between 1894 and 1897. It is located about half way between Merredin and Southern Cross. The townsite was gazetted spelt Boddalin in 1918, and was amended to Bodallin in 1947. The name is believed to be a corruption of Boodalin, the Aboriginal name of a soak about 23km NW of the station, and one source gives the meaning as "a big round soak".

Boddington: recalls Henry Boddington, a farmer of Wagin after whom the waterhole of Boddington Pool was named.

Borden: believed to be named after a Canadian Prime Minister, Sir Robert Laird Borden, who was in office between 1911-1920. Neighbouring Laurier also honours a Canadian politician, Sir Wilfred Laurier, Canadian Prime minister, 1896-1911. The reason for the selection of these names is not known.

Boulder: named taken from a mining lease, thus named because its main features were large sandstone boulders in which were found some small wiry stringers of gold. In July 1893 the leaseholders travelled from Adelaide and set up camp at Ivanhoe Hill where they struck a rich lead. They called it the Great Boulder.

Boyanup: Boyanup is an Aboriginal name, having been first recorded by an explorer in 1852. It is also on the main road south, and is shown on a road survey in 1869 as Boyinup. It is said to mean "a place of quartz" - Boya means "rock" or "stone". In 1888 a railway was built between Boyanup and Bunbury, and in 1891 the government opened up land in the area by declaring the Boyanup Agricultural Area. Land was set aside for a townsite in the agricultural area, lots in the townsite surveyed in 1893, and the townsite gazetted in 1894.

Boyup Brook: The name is derived from the Aboriginal name of a nearby watercourse, Boyup Brook, which was first recorded as Booyup Brook in 1877. Buyu is said to mean "place of smoke", and another account states that "Booy" means "big smoke", and was named because the brook was originally surrounded by blackboys which, when set alight, sent up a cloud of black smoke. The original request for a townsite in 1899 shrewdly proposed it be named "Throssell". It was addressed to the Minister for Lands, at that time George Throssell. The Lands Department resisted the proposal at first, as it did not consider there was enough demand for lots, but the Progress Committee persisted, and the Minister directed the Department to survey some lots. The survey was carried out in 1899 and although the name Throssell was used for a short time, Sir James Lee Steere, former resident of the area and prominent politician, suggested the Aboriginal name Boyup, by the which the area was locally known, should be used. The townsite was gazetted as Boyup in 1900, although local usage was mostly "Boyup Brook".

Bremer Bay: John Septimus Roe named the bay after Sir James Gordon Bremer, captain of the ship Tamar, under whom he served between 1824 and 1827. Originally called Wellstead in 1951, the town adopted its current name in 1962 after local residents petitioned to have the local name accepted as official.

Bridgetown: thus named as it is at the first bridge across the Blackwood River, and that the Bridgetown was the first ship to put in at Bunbury to pick up the wool from the district. It was originally known by its Aboriginal name of Geegelup, it was renamed in 1868.

Brookton: The town is named after "Brookton House", the property name of John Sea brook (1818-1891), who moved to this district soon after marrying in 1846. He was the first settler and founder of what is now known as the Brookton district.

Broome: Sir Frederick Napier Broome, who was the Western Australian Governor when the town was established in 1883. Broome was born in Canada, but was living in England in 1865, when he married Mary Anne Barker. The couple then moved to New Zealand. Before being appointed to Governor of Western Australia, he had served as colonial secretary in Natal and Mauritius, including Lieutenant-Governor of Mauritius. After serving as Governor of Western Australia, he served as acting Governor of Barbados in the West Indies and then Governor of Trinidad. He died in London in 1896.

Broomehill: The townsite of Broomehill came into existence just before the completion of the Great Southern Railway in 1889. It was given that name to commemorate the fact that Governor and Lady Broome turned the first sods, one at Albany, the other at Beverley. Listed as Broomehill (one word) in railway timetables gazetted in 1889, but as Broome Hill when gazetted a townsite in 1890. Although always locally known as Broomehill, the official spelling was only changed from two words to one word in 1959.

Bruce Rock: It was originally called Nunagin (Noonegin) but this name was easily confused with Nungarin and Narrogin. It was changed to Bruce Rock, after the nearby rock. The rock is said to be named after John Rufus Bruce who cut sandalwood near there around 1879.

Brunswick Junction: The town is named after the nearby river. The Brunswick River was discovered by J S Roe in 1830, and named after the Duke of Brunswick. The Aboriginal name is Mue-De-La. The name Brunswick was most likely chosen by Governor Stirling, as in 1813 whilst in command of the Brazen. Stirling was sent to cruise the Atlantic Ocean along the coast of Holland, and whilst in this position was under the command of the Duke of Brunswick (Frederick William; born at Brunswick 1771, killed at Quatre-Bras, Belgium 1816).

Bullfinch: Bullfinch was the name given to mining leases in the vicinity held by D. L. Doolette and V. Shallcross in 1909-1910.

Bullsbrook: Bullsbrook, a locality north of Upper Swan, derives its name from a railway station, established here during the construction of the Midland Railway in the 1890s. The railway station was named after an adjacent watercourse, Bulls Brook, which was probably named after Lt Henry Bull who was granted land about 8km south on 15 May 1831. An alternative claim is that the watercourse was named after Richard ("Bull") Jones, one of Henry Bull's servants, who resided in the region for many years. A townsite named Kingsford was gazetted here in 1936.

Bunbury: recalls Lieut. Henry William St. Pierre-Bunbury(1812-1875), who surveyed the area for rural settlement in the late 1830s. Bunbury had carried out explorations in this area in 1836. In 1830 Lt Governor Stirling caused a military station to be established at Port Leschenault under the command of Lt McLeod, but it only lasted six months. Bunbury township was mentioned in the Government Gazette in 1839, but lots in the town were not surveyed until 1841, and these were declared open for selection in March 1841.

Burracoppin: A townsite on the Great Eastern Highway east of Merredin, Burracoppin was gazetted in 1891 It takes its name from Burracoppin Rock, a nearby granite rock, the name of which was first recorded in 1864 as Burancooping Rock. It was also shown as Lansdowne Hill in 1836. It is an Aboriginal name said to mean "near a big hill".

Busselton: recalls John Garrett Bussell, who led a party of settlers north from Augusta in 1831. Vasse River and the village of Vasse was named after 3rd class seaman, Thomas Timothe Vasse, one of Nicolas Baudin's sailors, who was marooned here. Vasse was a helmsman second class and, by all accounts, an excellent seaman. He was dumped by a wave during a storm, disappeared without trace and was presumed drowned. Baudin later revisited the area hoping to find trace of Vasse but missed the spot and sailed on. In 1834 some Aborigines showed British settlers the grave of a white man who they said used to spend his days gazing out to sea waiting for his ship to return. It seems that this man was Vasse and he was waiting for the return of Baudin in the Geographe.

Cadoux: When it was decided to establish a railway siding here in 1927 the local road board secretary suggested "Cado", after the farmer who owned the land. The name was later confirmed to be correctly spelt Cadoux. He was Donald Cadoux, an English settler, who arrived in Western Australia in 1909. He died at Gallipoli during the Great War 1914-1918. His name was seen as a fitting memorial for the town.

Calingiri: Derived from Calingiri Waterhole, the name of which was first recorded by a surveyor in 1903. It is believed to be derived from "Calingal", the Aboriginal word for the diamond dove.

Capel: The name honours either Capel Bussell (right), a daughter of the Bussells, or Capel Carter, one of the Bussell's cousins. The Bussell family were early white settlers in the south west of WA. The former seems the most likely. The original Aboriginal name of Coolingup was first used when the town was surveyed in 1873.

Carnamah: the town takes its name from that of a pastoral property established by Duncan Macpherson in this location in the late 1860s. The property derived its name from Carnamah Spring, first mentioned in an application for grazing leases in 1861 The name is either Aboriginal of unknown meaning, or is a Gaelic word meaning "cairn of the cattle" or "cattle rocks".

Carnarvon: The name honours 4th Earl of Carnarvon, Henry Howard Molyneux, Lord Lieut and Custos Rotulorum of Co. Southampton, High Steward, Univ. of Oxford, and Constable of Carnarvon Castle; Secretary of State for the Colonies 1866-1867 and from 1874 to 1878, Lord Lieut. of Ireland 1885-86. The Aboriginal name for the area is kow-win-wordo, meaning “neck of water”, prophetic given that early in its life the town was overwhelmed by floods several times after the Gascoyne River broke its banks. The floods eventually prompted the construction of levy banks along the foreshore in the early 1900s and resulted in the fascine, the palm-fringed bay formed by the southern tributary of the river.

Cervantes: American whaling ship, Cervantes, which was wrecked off the coast in 1844. Cervantes was anchored off Thirsty Point, the promontory which lies to the west of the town when a gale blew up and the ship was blown ashore on an island to the south of the point. The ship was not badly damaged but due to difficulty of repairs all the contents were sold on the site. The island was named Cervantes and, in 1963, it was given to the small township which had sprung up on the mainland. At the time of naming of the townsite it was thought that the islands had been named Cervantes by the Baudin Expedition of 1801-03 after a Spanish author, and, as a result, many of the streets received Spanish names.

Chapman Valley: the name was given to the Chapman River and the surrounding district by Sir George Grey in April 1839 during his exploration of the region. It appears to be named in honour of Thomas Daniel Chapman (1815-1884), a personal friend of Grey, who was later a member of the Tasmanian Parliament 1850-1884. He was later Premier of Tasmania 1861-18563.

Chidlow: originally gazetted as Chidlow's Well in November 1883 after an old well by that name near the townsite. The name was changed in 1920, and honours Peter Chidlow, an early European settler who was speared to death by Aborigtines on 8th July 1837 at Meads Rock on the Avon River midway between Toosyay and Northam.

Chittering: The locality of Chittering, located about 70 kilometres north east of Perth has been known by this name since first recorded by explorer George Fletcher Moore in 1836. It is an Aboriginal word probably meaning "place of the willy wag tails". One of the Aboriginal words for this bird is "chitti-chitti'.

Clackline: The townsite of Clackline, located 17 kilometres south west of Northam, was gazetted a townsite in 1896. Despite being on a railway line, the name has no connection with the railway, and is an Aboriginal name. The surveyor John Forrest, later Premier of Western Australia, recorded the name for a well and brook in 1879, but did not record a meaning for the name.

Collie: recalls Dr Alexander Collie, Albany's first resident who explored the area in 1829.

Coolgardie: of Aboriginal origin, though its meaning is unclear. Once source says it means "a rockhole surrounded by mulga trees" ( the mulga tree is named "koolgoor"), another says it is from the large Bungarra lizard, said to have been pronounced "Coorgardie" by the Aborigines.

Coorow: Coorow is a town in the Midlands wheatbelt area, 264 Kilometres north of Perth, between Carnamah and Moora. The townsite of Coorow was gazetted in 1893, and the name is derived from the Aboriginal name of a nearby spring, first recorded in 1872. The meaning of the name may be from the word "Curro", which is the Aboriginal word for a variety of Portulacca, or another source gives it as "many mists".

Coral Bay: descriptive. Taken from the name of a hotel at the locality.

Corrigin: The townsite was first gazetted in 1913 as "Dondakin". This name was derived from the adjacent railway siding, which in turn was a form of the Aboriginal name of a nearby soak, Dondakine Soak. The local name, "Corrigin", was not accepted by railway authorities at first because of the likelihood of confusion with another siding called "Korrijinn". Eventually, due to public protest, Korrijinn was changed to "Bickley", and Dondakin changed to Corrigin on 15 May 1914. Corrigin is named after Corrigin Well, another local Aboriginal name, first recorded in 1877. The meaning of the name is not known.

Cossack: originally named Tien Tsin by William Parbury in 1864 after the vessel which brought him there to establish business activities. It was renamed Cossack in 1871 after the vessel which brought the Governor of WA, Sir Frederick Weld, to the locality in that year.

Cowan: the name is believed to be derived from the Aboriginal name of a nearby spring, first recorded in 1872 at the suggestion of explorer and later Premier of WA, John Forrest. The word is derived from "Curro", an Aboriginal word for a variety of Portulacca, however another source gives it as "many mists".

Cowaramup: Located 12kms north of Margaret River, Cowaramup derives its name from Cowaramup Siding, which was located near the townsite, on the Busselton to Augusta railway. The townsite was gazetted in 1925, and the name is believed to be derived from "Cowara", the Aboriginal name for the Purple Crowned Lorikeet (right), which are common there.

Cranbrook: Cranbrook was one of the original railway stations on the Great Southern Railway when the railway opened in 1889, and was gazetted a townsite in 1899. The name is taken from the town of Cranbrook in Kent, about 65 kilometres south east of London. It is believed to have been named by Mr J A Wright, who was manager of the Western Australian Land Company which built the railway. Mr Wright was educated at Queen Elizabeth School in Cranbrook.

Cue: recalls Tom Cue, who first discovered gold here in 1892 after a drought removed the surface grass to expose the alluvial gold everywhere.

Cunderdin: the Aboriginal name of a nearby hill, first recorded by the explorer C C Hunt in 1864. One source states "Cunder" is derived from "Quenda", meaning "place of the bandicoot". Another indicates it means "place of big turkey".

Cuballing: one of the original stations on the Great Southern Railway, it was in use when the railway opened in 1889. The station was originally spelt Cubballing after nearby Cubballing Pool, but when the townsite was gazetted in 1899, the current spelling was adopted. The name of the pool was first recorded in a lease application in 1868, but the meaning of this Aboriginal name is not known.

Dalwallinu: an Aboriginal word said to mean "a place to wait a while", although this is disputed by some early residents of the district. Another source suggests the meaning is "good lands", referring to the open grass lands closer to Pithara.

Dampier: recalls British sea captain William Dampier, who visited and explored the coastal region in 1688 aboard Capt. Swan's Cygnet, and in 1699 aboard Roebuck. His findings were published in two volumes which were the first descriptions about the Australian continent to be published.

Dandaragan: an Aboriginal word which one source gives as meaning "good kangaroo country". The name was first recorded for a nearby spring and gully by a surveyor in 1850, although the name was sometimes spelt "Dandaraga". Although a Townsite was gazetted here in 1958, the name has been in use since James Drummond took up a property here in 1850. Dandaragan was an important place on the road north, and a police station was opened here in the 1850's, a school in 1885 and a post office in 1896.

Darkan: believed to be of Aboriginal origin, meaning "black rocks". As the name refers to a place, in all probability it would more correctly be spelt Darkin. It was first used as the name of the farm property of white settler William John Gibbs in 1889.

Denham / Shark Bay: honours Captain Henry Mangles Denham, who surveyed a portion of Shark Bay aboard HMS Herald in 1858. Denham entered the Navy at the age of 12 and specialised in hydrographic work. As captain of HMS Herald, he carried out major survey work around Australia, New Caledonia and other parts of the Southwest Pacific in the period 1852 to 1861. For a decade, the Herald surveyed and charted known land masses and suspected hazards in the south-west Pacific and substantial parts of the Australian coast, thereby establishing safe routes for shipping. Some of the Herald's charts are still in use.

Denmark: Originally known as Koorabup (place of the black swan) the locality was named by explorer Dr Thomas Braidwood Wilson in 1829 after Dr. Alexander Denmark, a physician to the Royal Navy fleet. The town is located at the foot of Mt Shadforth beside the Denmark River.

Derby: recalls Edward Henry Stanley, the 15th Earl of Derby (1826-1893), who was Secretary of State for Colonies in 1882 when the town was surveyed. He was elected a British Conservative MP in 1848 and served in government in a number of offices, including that of Foreign Secretary. In 1880 he announced his defection to the Liberal Party.

Dongara: The name is the anglicised version of "Thungarra", an Aboriginal name referring to the mouth of the Irwin River. It is said to mean "place of the fur seal". For some time an alternative spelling of "Dongarra" was used, but Dongara was adopted as the official spelling in 1944.

Donnybrook: taken from the name of the property of the first white settler in the area, George Nash, who established his farm in 1842. Nash and Lieut. Preston both hailed from Donnybrook, a suburb of Dublin in Ireland. The eastern portion of the town was originally known by the area's Aboriginal name, Mininup.

Doodlakine: Doodlakine is an Aboriginal name for some granite rocks about 5km NNW of the townsite. It was first recorded by explorers in 1864, and the spelling of it has been variously recorded as Dodolakine, Dudulukine, Dodlakine, Doodlekine and Doodlakin.

Dowerin: The name is believed to be derived from nearby Lake Dowerin, first recorded on maps around 1879. One source suggests Dowerin is the Aboriginal word for the twenty eight parrot (Dow-arn), and another suggests it means "place of the throwing stick"(dower).

Dumbleyung: in 1843 the explorers Landor and Lefroy visited Lake Dumbleyung and recorded the name as "Dambeling Lake". It is from this name that the town's name is derived. It is of Aboriginal origin, though its meaning is uncertain. Some sources state it is the name of the native pear tree, presumably because fruit from the tree was picked here. Another states it refers to a place where a game called dumbung was played. Yet another states it means 'large lake or inland sea', referring to what it today known as Lake Dumbleyung.

Dunsborough: early charts show the area as Dunn Bay but the name's origin remains uncertain. Suggestions include that it recalls a sailor who deserted ship, swam ashore and became the first white settler; that it recalls Capt. Charles Dunn of the American whaler Baltimore which was one of many whalers operating from the bay in the 1830s - 50s; that it was named by Gov. Stirling after a fellow naval officer, Capt. Richard Darling Dunn. The Aboriginal name for the area was Quedjinup.

Dwellingup: Townsite lots were surveyed at this place by Surveyor W.F. Rudall in 1909 after the Lands Department became aware that the site was planned as the terminus of the "Pinjarra-Marrinup Railway". Names suggested for the place by Rudall were "Dwellingerup" or "Marrinup", after nearby brooks, or "McLarty" after a local MLA who had been very active concerning the railway. Surveyor General H.F. Johnston chose "Dwellingupp" after being misinformed regarding the spelling of Dwellingerup Brook. Ignoring a suggestion from the Under Secretary to amend the name to "Dwellingdown", the Minister for Lands approved the name as "Dwellingup" in December 1909. Eventually, the spelling "Dwellingupp" was chosen by order of the Under Secretary for Lands, and the townsite was gazetted as Dwellingupp in February 1910. The spelling was amended to Dwellingup in 1915. Dwellingup is an Aboriginal name said to mean "place of nearby water". The town was burnt out by a bushfire in 1961 but was rebuilt.

Elleker: The townsite of Elleker is situated near the south coast, about 15 km west of Albany. The W A Land Company, who built the Great Southern Railway in the period 1886-1889, planned to establish a town named Lakeside here in 1889. (named because it is close to Lake Grassmere – now Lake Powell). A comprehensive plan of development was prepared, but only a few lots were sold and there was little development. The Government purchased the railway in 1896, and redesigned the townsite. It was gazetted as Lakeside in 1899, but in 1908 was changed to Torbay Junction to prevent confusion with another Lakeside near Kalgoorlie, and because the railway station was known as Torbay Junction. The alternative names of Elleker and Lockyer were proposed, and the name was changed to Elleker in 1921. The name was apparently suggested by Mr J Mowforth, a member of the Albany Road Board from 1896 to 1912. Mowforth was a Yorkshireman, and he proposed the name after Ellerker in south Yorkshire. The reason for the omission of the first 'r' is not known.

Eneabba: of Aboriginal origin, meaning "Small Water". The first known record of the name "Eneabba" appears as "Eneabba Spring" in the logbook of a surveyor named G. M. Nunn in 1903. This was used to name the spring where a wild horse-mustering stud was built in the early 1900s.

Esperance: the name honours the ship L'Esperance commanded by Captain Huon de Kermadec, which anchored here on 9th December 1792. The bay provided safe anchorage while repairs were made to L'Esperance. The name of the other ship in Admiral Bruny D'Entrecasteaux's expedition, L'Recherche, is preserved by the naming of the adjacent islands as the Archipelago of the Recherche.

Eucla: The Aboriginal name for the Eucla townsite is said to be Chiniala. The origin of the name Eucla is unsure though there are a number of suggestions. One source states that Yinculyer was the Aboriginal name for the area. Another source states the name Eucla is derived from the Aboriginal words 'yer' - bright, and 'coloya' n- fire. When Edward John Eyre passed through the area in 1841, Eyre recorded sighting the rise of the planet Venus. The words are said to be those used by the Aborigines who accompanied the explorer to describe the event they witnessed in the night sky, however it must be noted here that Eyre gave no names to geographical features or localities during his walk.

Exmouth: taken from Exmouth Gulf, on the shores of which the town stands. The Gulf was named by Commander Phillip Parker King in February 1818 after Edward Pellew, First Viscount of Exmouth. Pellew fought during the American War of Independence, the French Revolutionary, and the Napoleonic Wars. His younger brother, Israel Pellew, also pursued a naval career. Pellew is remembered as an officer and a gentleman of great courage and leadership, earning his land and titles through courage, leadership and skill - serving as a paradigm of the versatility and determination of British Naval officers during the Napoleonic Wars

Fitzroy Crossing: the name is taken from the Fitzroy River besides which it stands. The river was named after Sir Charles Augustus Fitzroy (right), the tenth Governor of New South Wales (1846-53) during whose term of office the river was explored.

Frankland: derives its name from its location just to the east of the Frankland River. The river in turn derives its name from Mount Frankland, which was named in 1829 by Dr. J B Wilson RN, after the Surveyor General of Tasmania, George J. Frankland. On his exploration trip in December 1829 to the north and west of Albany, Wilson named and climbed Mt. Lindesay. From the top of this hill Wilson noted how conspicuous the hills in the region were and stated that they would be grand points in a trigonometrical survey of the country, and named them after the Surveyors General in Australia. i.e. Roe - WA.; Mitchell - NSW; Frankland &endash; Tasmania.

Gascoyne Junction: derived from the Gascoyne River, which was named in March 1839 by explorer George Grey after a personal friend, Captain J. Gascoyne.

Geraldton: recalls WA Governor, Captain Charles Fitzgerald, who visited the copper and lead mines in the Northampton area nearby, beginning his inspections from a base on Champion Bay which he nominated as a townsite. Fitzgerald was born in Ireland in 1791, and joined the Royal Navy in 1809. He rose to the rank of Captain in 1840 , and was Governor of Western Australia from 1848 to 1855. The name was probably suggested by the Surveyor General John Septimus Roe. The Aboriginal name for the area was Utikarra, meaning "one spring". The name is today used for a suburb of Geraldton.

Gidgegannup: a name of Aboriginal origin meaning 'place where spears are made'; gidgie - spear. The town is named after Gidgegannup brook, spring and hill.

Gingin: The Gingin area was first explored by George Fletcher Moore in 1836, who recorded the Aboriginal name "Jinjin". Later when a property was surveyed here for W L Brockman in 1843 the name was shown as "Gingin Station". The major stream in the area was also recorded as Gingin Brook in 1848. Gingin is an Aboriginal name, the meaning of which is uncertain, but has been said to mean "footprint". Another source suggests the name is derived from Ginginnup, said to be "the place where native pear trees grow".

Gnowangerup: of Aboriginal origin, said to mean 'place where the mallee hen nested'. The name was originally spelt Ngowangerupp.

Goldsworthy: The town of Goldsworthy was established in 1971 by Goldsworthy Mining Company (now BHP Billiton) as the support town for its iron ore mining operations at Mt. Goldsworthy (Yarrie Nimingarra / Sunrise Hill West Seven Mines). The old township was dismantled when mining operations ceased in 1992 after much of the mountain had been mined. The mountain was named by surveyor Alexander Forrest in 1879, after Roger Tuckfield Goldsworthy, the Colonial Secretary at the time under Governor Sir Frederick Napier Broome.

Goomalling: of Aboriginal origin meaning "the place of the silver-gray possum". Goomal is the Nyoongar word for this possum.

Gracetown: recalls Grace Bussell, daughter of a pioneer fajmily, who bravely saved passengers from the wrecked steamship "The Georgette" in 1876. The vessel had sprung a leak and was wrecked off the coast near her residence "Wallcliffe". When the condition of the vessel was discovered some of the passengers were placed in lifeboats and safely reached shore. The bulk of the passengers however, were still on board. Seeing the plight of the remaining passengers the 16 year old Grace Bussell and stockman Sam Isaacs rode their horses into the surf and out to the stricken vessel. By allowing the passengers to cling on to their clothes and to their horses manes and tails they managed to transfer them safely to shore. About 50 of the passengers were cared for at "Wallcliffe". Grace Bussell received the silver medal for bravery from the Royal Humane Society to mark her exploit, and Sam Isaacs the bronze medallion.

Grass Patch: A townsite here was proposed in 1910, when the government was planning to build a railway from Esperance to Norseman, and land in the area was being opened up. The area was well known as "Grass Patch", a nearby farm of this name having been settled around 1896, and renowned for bountiful crops and good grass. However, when the townsite was gazetted in 1923, the local settlers sought a more suitable name, and nominated three names, "Warden" being the one selected as most suitable. Objections were soon received to this name, and later the same year it was changed to Grass Patch.

Greenbushes: recalls a stand of particularly green bushes which stood out from the grey of the local Eucalyptus.

Greenough: name from the Greenough River, the river being named by Captain George Grey in 1839 after George Bellas Greenough (right), President of Royal Geographical Society which had equipped Grey's expedition. It was never gazetted as a townsite though for all intents and purposes it was for a period of 30 years.

Guilderton: the townsite was gazetted in 1951, but has been used as a camping and holiday place since around 1905. In the 1940s public demand for permanent camping sites led to the government deciding to declare a townsite, and seeking a name for the area, which up until then had been locally referred to as Moore River. A number of names were considered, the preferred name of "Guilderton" being suggested by Mrs Henrietta Drake-Brockman. The name links the town with the wreck of the Dutch ship Gilt Dragon near here in 1656, and the loss of thousands of Guilders it was carrying. Dutch coins and relics of the wreck have been found near the mouth of the Moore River.

Halls Creek: Charles Hall who, with James Slattery, found gold 16 km from the site of the original settlement in 1885. On their return to Derby the two men were rewarded £5,000 by the State Government and the gold rush had begun.

Hamelin Bay: named in honour of Captain Emmanuel Hamelin (right) of the French corvette Naturaliste, part of an expedition lead by Nicolas Baudin in 1801. The Naturaliste and Goegraphe explored the coast of WA extensively and named many coastal features.

Hamersley district: the name was originally applied to the Hamersley Ranges by surveyor F.T. Gregory in June 1861. Gregory named the ranges after Edward Hamersley who was at the time a member of the WA Legislative Assembly and a promoter and sponsor of the expedition.

Harvey: derives its name from the nearby Harvey River, which was named by Governor Stirling in 1829, soon after the river's discovery by explorers Collie and Preston in 1829. Although not positively known, the river is most likely named after Rear Admiral Sir John Harvey RN, Commander in Chief of the West Indies Station in 1818. Stirling named a number of Western Australian features after his former navy colleagues. Harvey was developed as a private town in the 1890s following the opening of a railway station there in 1893. In 1926 the Harvey Road Board sought the declaration of a townsite, but this did not occur until 1938.

Hester: gazetted a townsite in 1899, and was originally a siding on the Donnybrook to Bridgetown railway, opened in 1898. The town derives its name from the nearby Hester Brook, a name first recorded by surveyor John Forrest in 1866. Hester Brook is named after Edward Godfrey Hester, an early settler (late 1850s) of the Bridgetown district.

Holt Rock: located in the eastern agricultural region 74 km from Hyden, Holt Rock takes its name from the nearby feature of the same name. The feature was named by the explorer Frank Hugh Hann in August 1901 when he was on a trip from Menzies to Ravensthorpe. Hann possibly named it after G H Holt, a Draftsman in the Lands & Surveys Department. He named other features on this trip after employees of the Department. The townsite was gazetted in 1939.

Hutt River Province: explorer George Grey reported the existence of the Hutt River in 1839. Both the Hutt River and Hutt Lagoon were named by Grey after William Hutt, the brother of the Governor of Western Australia.

Hyden: takes its name from Hyden Rock (also known as Wave Rock), a 15 metre high hanging granite rock, which was first recorded on maps in 1921 by surveyor S Smith. It is not known who the rock was named after. It was in all probability a survey team member and perhaps the one who first discovered the rock.

Irwin district: named in honour of Frederick Chidley Irwin (rigtht) who came to WA aboard HMS Sulphur in command of the 63rd Regiment. He subsequently became the premanent commander and second in commander to Capt. James Stirling. During 1846 and 1847 he was Acting Governor.

Jerramungup: the town was gazetted in 1957, at a time when the Government was active in opening up land in the area for agricultural. Jerramungup is an Aboriginal word said to mean "place of upstanding yate trees". The Yate tree is a variety of Eucalypt tree which is evergreen and grows to a height of 20m and a width of 4m. It has orange bud caps and greenish yellow flowers, and is common in the south west of WA. The name was first recorded by Surveyor General J S Roe in 1847, when carrying out exploration of the area.

Jurien Bay: the bay named by French explorer Nicolas Baudin, of Naturaliste, on 1st July 1801 after Charles Marie Vicomte du Jurien (1763-1836), Commander of the French Navy. He served through the revolutionary and Napoleonic wars and became a peer under Louis Philippe.

Kalbarri: the name was chosen from a list of Aboriginal words compiled by Daisy Bates in 1913 for the locality. It is a man's name from a Murchison tribe, and also the name of an edible seed. The Aboriginal name for the area of Kalbarri has been recorded as "Wurdimarlu".

Kalgan: was named "Wyndham" on an 1839 map of the area, but there was no subdivision or land made available in the townsite. It is recorded that it was to be the site of a farming community for the Society of Friends (Quakers), but there is no evidence that any Quakers ever settled in the area. As there was already a Wyndham in the Kimberley when the town was gazetted in 1912, the name Kalgan was chosen for the townsite. Kalgan is the Aboriginal name of the river on which the townsite is situated, the name being first recorded by the explorer Dr A Collie as "Kalgan-up" in 1831. It is said to mean "place of many waters". The river had earlier been referred to as the "French River", since the French explored it in 1803.

Kalgoorlie: known originally as East Coolgardie, as it developed in the shadow of its goldmining neighbour. Prior to that, it was recorded as Hannan's Find when a township sprang up there. In suggesting the name Hannans to the Commissioner of Crown Lands, the Under Secretary for Lands, R Cecil Clifton, noted that the "native name of the place is "Calgoorlie" but this is rather too much like Coolgardie and if adopted is, I fear likely to lead to postal mistakes". Clifton supported "Hannan", but Cabinet chose "Kalgoorlie" in August 1894. An alternative spelling of "Kalgurli" was also used unofficially on occasions. Various sources give it as either meaning: Aboriginal dog chasing a kangaroo; the Aboriginal name of a shrub from the area ("Galgurli"); or the Aboriginal name for the local edible silky pear ("Kulgooluh").

Kambalda: when gold was first discovered here in 1897, Surveyor W. Rowley recorded the locality's name as Kambalda because he liked the sound of it. Its is believed to be of Aboriginal origin though its meaning is not known.

Karratha: an Aboriginal word meaning 'good country', it was originally the name of a property owned by Dr Bayton and Harry Whittal Venn.

Katanning: of Aboriginal origin, meaning 'place where the head tribesmen meet'. some locals believe it was named after an elderly Aboriginal woman but no evidence to support this has been provided to substantiate the claim.

Kellerberrin: of Aboriginal origin, it is derived from the name of a nearby hill. The hill was first recorded as "Killaburing Hill" in 1861 and later as Kellerberrin Hill. One source claims the name refers to the fierce ants that are found in the area, while another gives it as meaning "camping place near where rainbow birds are found"- "kalla means camping place or place of, and "berrin berrin" is the rainbow bird.

Kendenup: one of the original stations on the Great Southern Railway, and is included in a Timetable of June 1889. It derives its name from "Kendenup", the homestead of the Hassell family built here in 1839. The property was one of the best known in colonial Western Australia. The Kendenup property had earlier been taken up by George Cheyne, and was purchased by John Hassell in 1839. Kendenup was the site of WA's first gold mine. The name is of Aboriginal origin, of unknown meaning.

Kimberley: a region in the far north of Western Australia. Named by explorer Alexander Forrest in 1879 in honour of John Wodehouse, 1st Earl of Kimberley (right) who was Secretary of the State for the Colonies. On this expedition he would also name the Oscar, Napier and King Leopold Range and discover the Ord River. The expedition lasted nearly a year and resulted in the discovery of good, well watered land suitable for cattle farming.

Kirup: The name "Kirup" is recorded in official papers on the townsite, but no source or meaning is given for the name. The name is Aboriginal, possibly stemming from "kura" and meaning "the place of summer flies". When it was gazetted in 1901 the spelling used was Kirupp, the double "p" indicating that the preceding vowel should be shortened. This was later seen as not relevant, and the spelling was amended to Kirup in 1931.

Kojonup: the name was first recorded by Alfred Hillman in December 1838 for the spring and brook which flowed through the locality. The name, of Aboriginal origin, is said to mean 'place of the stone axe'. It was here that either the stone for axes was found or the axes were sharpened. Another source states it is derived from 'Kogynup', meaning 'place of the edible bulb' (kogy).

Koolyanobbing: derived from the Aboriginal name of the nearby range of hills, Koolyanobbing Range, the name having been first recorded by the explorer C C Hunt in 1864. C.E. Dempster had named them the Barlee Range in 1861. One source gives the meaning of the name as " place of large hard rocks".

Kondinin: Like many towns in the agricultural areas it began as a railway station. The district around Kondinin was already settled when the government chose to construct a railway line here in 1911, the line, from Yilliminning to Kondinin, being completed in 1915. It is an Aboriginal name, first recorded by Surveyor General Roe in 1848 for a waterhole, but its meaning is unknown.

Koolanooka: was chosen as the site for a railway station on the Wongan Hills-Mullewa line when the government planned the line in 1913, and the name selected for the station was Bowgada, after the adjacent pastoral station. The name was changed to Koolanooka before the line opened in 1914, and Bowgada was used for the next station south. The townsite was gazetted in 1916. Koolanooka is the Aboriginal name for nearby hills and a spring, first recorded by a surveyor in 1893. One source gives the meaning as "hill of wild turkeys".

Koombana: the Aboriginal name for the area, it means bay of spouting whales: koomba - whales; ana - bay. The name was first recorded by John Arrowsmith in 1838 and spelt as Koombanah, though a year later the Bok of Western Australia refers to the bay by the name given to it by Nicolas Baudin's French expdition in 1801 - Leschenault Bay.

Koorda: In 1914 the proposed siding here was named Koorda at the suggestion of J Hope, the Chief Draftsman in the Lands Department. Hope took the name from a list of words obtained from an Aboriginal in the Margaret River area, the meaning being given as a "married person".

Kukerin: like many towns in the agricultural areas, Kukerin came about as a result of railway construction. The name nominated in 1912 by the district surveyor was Merilup, the name of a nearby soak and the proposed name for the siding here, however locals felt the soak was too far from the railway to use this name, and the government sought alternatives. Kukerin was gazetted as a townsite later the same year. Kukerin is an Aboriginal name, first recorded for a soak and gully in the area by a surveyor in 1908. It was also spelt "Cookerin". The meaning of the name is not known.

Kulin: The district around Kulin was already settled when the government chose to construct a railway line here in 1911, the line, from Yilliminning to Kondinin, being completed in 1915. The station here was proposed to be named "Jilakin", the name being derived from nearby "Jeelakin Lake". In 1913 the South Kulinn Progress Association petitioned the government for a townsite at the proposed station, and shortly after the government agreed and a townsite named "Jilakin" was gazetted. The residents soon objected to the name, and requested it be amended to Kulinn. The Minister for Lands agreed to the name change which was gazetted in 1914, but at the suggestion of the Under Secretary for Lands dropped the last "n" from the name. The name is Aboriginal, having been first recorded as "Coolin" by Surveyor General Roe during exploration of the area in 1848.


Kunnunoppin: the Dowerin to Merredin railway opened in 1911, and the townsite, which was on that line, was gazetted in 1911. Kununoppin derives its name from the Aboriginal name of a nearby area, first recorded as "Coonoonoppin" during surveys in 1908.

Kununurra: The pastoral history of the area is well documented in books by Dame Mary Durack, and the famed Durack homestead that was built by Patsy Durack, on a site now covered by Lake Argyle, has been reconstructed as a museum.

Kwinana: named after the State Shipping vessel Kwinana which travelled between Fremantle and the ports of the North West of WA between 1912 and 1920. The vessel was destroyed by fire at Carnarvon. She was towed to Fremantle but brke here moorings in Cocikburn Sound and ran aground in a gale. The cottages built near the wreck adopted the name of the ship. It is of Aboriginal origtin, and means fair or pretty maiden.

Lake Grace: the townsite of Lake Grace was gazetted later in 1916. The lake after which the townsite was named was given the name Lake Grace by Marshall Fox, the District Surveyor, in 1910. It is named after Grace Brockman, the wife of the then Surveyor General, Frederick S Brockman. Grace Brockman became famous in 1876 when she, as Grace Bussell, and her stockman Sam Isaacs, rescued many people from the wreck of the "Georgette" near the mouth of the Margaret River.

Lancelin: Lancelin Island is thought to be named by French explorer Nicolas Baudin, of Naturaliste, on 12th July 1801 after P F Lancelin, scientific writer, author of the World Map of Sciences and works on the planetary system and analyses of science. Gazetted as Wangaree in June 1950, its name was changed to Lancelin in February 1954 as the this was the name in common use.

Latham: derives its name from Latham Rock, a large granite rock about 3 km south east of the townsite. The rock was first recorded as Latham Rock in 1909, and honours Mr. F.A.Latham, an early pastoralist of the region and who established a watering place here for stock being droved through the district

Laverton: recalls Dr. Charles W. Laver, an early resident who helped develop the district. Dr. Laver had travelled with John Forrest in 1869. It was to Dr. Laver that the first two prospectors who found gold here in 1896 took their samples. Dr. Laver joined the men in their prospecting. Originally known as British Flag - the name of the first mine in the area, he Aboriginal name for the area was Buckanoo.

Leeman: In March 1658, as first officer and navigator of the Waeckende Boey searching for the wreck of the Dutch ship Vergulde Draeck, Abraham Leeman van Santwits led a party ashore off Lancelin Isld. Leeman and his crew were caught in the storm and found themselves stranded on a strange land. Leeman refused to accept the impossibility of his situation and, after killing a number of seals and doing his best to collect adequate provisions, he and his party of 14 men set sail for Batavia in an overloaded open boat. He and three sailors survived the epic journey. A plaque on a limestone obelisk at the end of Marcon Street, Two Rocks (to the south), marks the place where Leeman and his men came ashore.

Leinster: it was first recorded as the name of the Leinster Downs pastoral station on which the Agnew Nickel project was established. The station is in turn named after the Leinster gold find of the 1890s. Leinster is a province of Ireland, and is believed to be the origin of the name.

Leonora: taken from Mt Leonora nearby, which in turn was thus named by explorer John Forrest in 1869 after a lady friend of his, Miss Phylis Leonora Hardey of Grove Farm on the banks of the Swan River, at the present day Perth suburb of Belmont. The town of Leonora was gazetted in 1898. The town (first known as Gwalia) first flourished in 1898, but after flooding it was relocated in 1900 3 km from the mine and re-named Leonora. The town was developed to support the Sons of Gwalia (Wales) mine which operated until 1964. Hardey Road, which passes through the Perth suburb of Cloverdale, is named after the Hardey family.

Leschenault: the name Leschenault pops up regular in the nemonclature of things Western Australian. It recalls Jean Baptiste Louis Claude Leschenault, a French botanist who came to Australia in 1801 as part of Nicolas Baudin's French expedition aboard the ships Naturaliste and Geographe. Leschenault and fellow botanist Antoine Guichenot returned to France with one of the finest botanical collections ever brought to Europe from Australia's shore. Much of what they brought back had never seen before outside of Australia.

Lockyer: recalls Edmund Lockyer, who arrived at King George Sound, WA, with the 57th Regiment to establish a military outpost there. Lockyer left the settlers 100 days later, leaving Captain Joseph Wakefield in charge of what would eventually grow into the present day town of Albany.

Ludlow: a railway siding, named in honour of Frederick Ludlow, the discoverer of the Ludlow River which flows nearby. It was discovered on an expdition from Augusta to the Swan River settlement (Perth) in June 1834.

Mandurah: the name is believed to be derived from the Aboriginal word "mandjar", meaning "trading place". Thomas Peel, an early settler in the area, named his residence "Mandurah House". In July 1855, Thomas Peel surrendered to the Crown the area now bounded by Mandurah Terrace, Peel, Sholl and Gibson Streets to settle outstanding debts. It was discovered that the same area was included in lands held under Certificate of Title by G.C. Knight of Fremantle. The Registrar reported that the land had passed beyond the reach of caveat and consequently the Crown was unable to regain possession. As a result, Mandurah, although a fast growing settlement worthy of government interest, was developed purely by means of private subdivisions. The area was declared a townsite under the Local Government Act in 1950.

Manjimup: derived from the Aboriginal name 'manjim' - a broadleaf, marshy flag with an edible root, valued as an article of diet by the natives. These rushes grew below a spring in the area.

Marble Bar: named after a rocky outcrop of jasper quartzite on the Coongan River. It is thought to have been erroneously named as a bar of marble bar in 1908 by surveyor B. Crossland. The town takes its name from the geographical feature.

Margaret River: The town is named after the river which runs through it, which in turn was after Margaret Wicher, a friend of Alfred and Ellen Bussell, the area's first white settlers who built a house near the mouth of the river. Miss Wicher was engaged to John Garrett Bussell, but declined to come to Australia from England and the engagement was broken off.

Meckering: named after a native watering hole 1 km north of the town. Of aboriginal origin, it means "moon on the water". The moon often reflects on the soak when it becomes a dry salt pan.

Meekatharra: The claim of three prospectors, Meehan, Porter and Soych, who first found gold here in late 1895, was near Meekatharra Spring, the Aboriginal name of a watering point that had appeared on maps since 1885, and it is from this spring that the townsite's name is derived. It is believed that the name means, "place of little water".

Menzies: recalls an American prospector, Robert Leslie Menzies, who discovered gold here in 1894. Menzies and fellow gold discoverer John Ernest McDonald was employed by a mining syndicate from New Zealand. They took up a lease here in October 1894, naming it "Lady Shenton".

Merredin: of Aboriginal origin, meaning "the place of merritt's", a locally abundant tree, the trunks of which were used for making spears. The name was first recorded in 1889 for Merredin Rock. In 1906 the name Merredin was spelt 3 ways - Merreden for the nearby state forest, Merredin for the railway station and Merredin for the townsite. It was decided to adopt the railway spelling for all names, and all plans were corrected.

Mingenew: One of the datum points for leases at this time of early settlement by leaseholders was "Mengenew Spring", now Mingenew Spring, and this name was first recorded in 1856. It is Aboriginal, and said to mean "place of many waters".

Moora: the Aboriginal name of the locality, derived from "moora-moora" meaning 'good spirit'. The area of Glentromie farm to the south was known by its Aboriginal name, "murra murra". Another source gives Moora as a word meaning "grandparent", although the location where this name was used is not known.

Moorine Rock: In 1923 the district surveyor for the area reported there was a need to survey some lots at Parkers Road station. The survey was carried out the following year, and in 1925 the area was gazetted as the townsite of Parker Road. It was considered too similar to Parker Range, a nearby goldmining area, and was also the name of a road in Southern Cross. The alternative name was Moorine, after Moorine Rock, but this name was too similar to Moora, so it was accepted with the full name Moorine Rock. The change of name of the townsite was gazetted in 1926. Moorine Rock is the Aboriginal name of some rocks near the townsite, first recorded by an explorer in 1865. The name is believed to mean female dingo.

Morawa: an Aboriginal name, first shown on maps of the area for a rock hole in 1910. It is possibly derived from "Morowa" or "Morowar", the Dalgite or Bilby, a small marsupial which burrows into the earth. Another possible meaning is "the place where men are made".

Mt Barker: named by Dr. Thomas Wilson in honour of his friend Captain Collet Barker, commandant of the settlement at Albany.

Mt Magnet: the name is derived from that of a geographical feature there, which was named by explorer Robert Austin in August 1854 because of the magnetic attraction of a rock there. The Aboriginal name of the hill is Warramboo.

Muchea: derived from the Aboriginal word "Muchela", a name first recorded by a surveyor in 1845 when surveying a property for George Fletcher Moore. He did not record the word or its meaning in his published vocabulary. When a railway siding was opened between 1892 and 1898, the "L" was accidentally dropped when the Midland Railway authorities were preparing the timetable. The sign writer copied the timetable error onto the railway station name board, thus unwittingly changing the name a district.

Mukinbudin: In 1920 the government decided to extend the railway from Bencubbin to the Mukinbudin area, and the district surveyor, after inspecting the area, decided that a townsite was required. He advised that the local locals wanted the townsite named Barlbarin instead of Muckenbooding, the name by which the area was then known. By 1922 when the townsite was gazetted, the locals had changed their mind, and now wanted it named Muckenbooding, although preferring a shortened spelling. It was gazetted as Mukinbudin in June 1922. The name is Aboriginal, and was first recorded for Muckenbooding Rock in 1889. The meaning of the name is not known.

Mullewa: named after Mullewa Spring, an Aboriginal name first recorded by surveyor John Forrest in 1873. The name is of Aboriginal origin, but its exact meaning or reason for its choice is not known. Suggestions include that it is derived from "mooloowa" meaning fog (the town is often covered in mist on winter mornings); derived from "mallowaur", the local native name for the dingo; derived from "mullawacare" meaning hut or dwelling; derived from "murowariwari" meaning a bird.

Mundaring: the first railway siding at Mundaring was named after him and for some years the area was generally known as "Gugeris" after an early settler, Peter Gugeri. A later settler, M H Jacoby, took over Gugeris' vineyards in 1893, and named the business the "Mundaring Vineyard Company". The name came from an Aboriginal camp situated nearby and the meaning given to Jacoby by the aborigines was "a high place on a high place". The correct pronunciation was "Mundahring" but common usage has gradually converted this to "Mundairing".

Murchison: a region of the state of Western Australia, it takes its name from the main river to flow through it. The Murchison River was named by the explorer George Grey in 1839 when he sighted its mouth following the wrecking of his boats in the area. It is named after Sir Roderick Impey Murchison (1792-1871), a noted geologist who was then the Secretary of the Royal Geographical Society (England) and was elected as President of that society in 1843 and later, in 1855, appointed Director General of the Geological Society in Britain. The Murchison River rises in the Robinson Ranges and flows generally west-south-westerly into the Indian Ocean at Kalbarri. The Roderick and Impey Rivers, also named by Grey, are tributaries of the Murchison.

Nabawa: derives its name from Nabawar Pool, a pool in the Chapman River first recorded by a surveyor in 1857. This Aboriginal word is said to mean "camp far away". Although originally spelt Nabawar, the current spelling of Nabawa has been used since 1872. A schoolsite was set aside here in 1897, and the spelling Nabawah was used, but a site for a agricultural hall in the same year used the Nabawa spelling. When the Upper Chapman railway was opened in 1910, a siding was opened near the pool and named Nabawa. The railway closed in 1961, but the Shire of Chapman Valley moved its administrative headquarters to Nabawa in the mid 1960s, and in 1965 a townsite was declared.

Nannup: of Aboriginal origin, said to mean "stopping place". The name Nannup is derived from Nannup Brook, a stream which flows north westerly into the Blackwood River to the south of Nannup. It has been shown on maps since first recorded by surveyors in the 1860s.

Narambeen: The townsite derives its name from the Aboriginal name for Emu Hill.  Emu Hill was discovered and named by John Septimus Roe in 1836, the name being given because Roe's exploration party disturbed a family of emus whilst ascending the hill. In 1860 Charles Smith took up a pastoral lease in the area, and named his property "Narimbeen", which the explorer Henry Maxwell Lefroy records in 1863 is the Aboriginal name for Emu Hill. In 1865 the explorer Charles Cooke Hunt recorded the spelling as "Narembeen", and this is the spelling which became widely accepted for the place. The meaning of the name is not known - one source says it refers to emus, another suggests it is take fro the name of a property owned by Charles Smith in 1863.

Narrogin: believed to be derived from Narroging pool, as recorded by explorer John Forrest. It is thought to either mean 'waterhole' or is the actual name of the pool.


Piazza San Benedetto, Norcia, Umbria, Italy

New Norcia: recalls S.B. Norcia, a town in the Umbria province of northern Italy, which was the birthplace of St Benedict, founder of the Benedictine order. The mission was thus named by a founding brother, Dom Rosendo Salvado.

Newdegate: honours Sir Francis Alexander Newdigate Newdegate, Governor of WA from April 1920 to April 1922 and from December 1922 to June 1924. He was also Governor of Tasmania from 1917 to 1920, a post he left prior to moving to WA. He was appointed High Steward of the Royal Town of Sutton Coldfield in 1925.

Newman: The town is named Newman after Mt Newman. It was thus named in 1896 by surveyor W.F. Rundell after Aubrey Woodward Newman, a survey team member who died of typhoid fever on reaching the area on a mapping expedition that year.

Nornalup: A name of Aboriginal origin meaning "place of black snakes". Wilsons Inlet is named after Dr Thomas Braidwood Wilson, who led and exploratory expedition through the area from Albany in 1829.

Norseman: Norseman is the only town in the state named after a horse. On the way from the Coolgardie goldfields to his home in Esperance, a gold miner named Laurie Sinclair stopped off to see his brother who lived where Norseman now stands, and his horse 'Hardy Norseman' uncovered a large gold nugget with it's hoof. Sinclair, a native of the Shetland Islands, once worked for the Dempsters who pioneered Esperance, to the south.

North Dandalup: the townsite is located adjacent to the North Dandalup River, from which it derives its name. Dandalup is an Aboriginal name, having been shown on maps of the area since 1835. The meaning of the name is not known. The townsite is situated on the South Western Railway, and North Dandalup was included as a stopping place in timetables of 1894.

Northam: named by Captain James Stirling after a village in Devon, England (right). Gazetted as a town in 1836, the first colonists into the area arrived soon after explorer Ensign Dale passed through the area in October 1830. It was connected by telegraph to Perth in 1872. In the 1890s it became a base from which prospectors prepared to push into the desert.

Northampton: believed to be named after the copper and lead mining centre of that name in England. The fact that WA's Governor at the time was Dr John Stephen Hampton and that the town is north of Perth is somewhat coincidental yet appropriate. The locality's Aboriginal name was Wannernooka.

Northcliffe: honours Alfred C.M. Harmsworth, Viscount Northcliffe, who died in 1922. He was the proprietor and publisher of the London Times and the Daily Mail. A renowned commentator on world affairs for two decades, Northcliffe was a strong supporter of the Group Settlement Scheme that led to the town being created in 1924. The town was named by the then Premier of WA, James Mitchell.

Nullagine: named after the local Aboriginal name (Ngalagunya) for the river which runs through the centre of town.

Nungarin: named after Nungarin Rocks, located 4 km north north east of the town. This Aboriginal name was first recorded by surveyor H.S. King as Noongorin in 1864, and as Nungarin in 1889. Its meaning is not known.

Nyabing: When the railway from Katanning to this place was planned in 1911, the siding at the terminus was named Nampup, after the Aboriginal name of a nearby soak. Even before Nampup was gazetted, the Railways Department complained that Nampup was too similar to Nannup, and an alternative name was required for the siding. The names Narrara and Wingar were suggested, before W J Rae, the District Surveyor, suggested "Naiabing", which he advised was "the old native name of Little Nampup Soak". The Department of Lands & Surveys decided that Nyabing was a simpler spelling, and in December 1912 changed the name of the townsite to Nyabing. Although the name has been variously spelt, as Niaibing, Niabing & Nyabing, none of which appear in vocabularies, it appears that the word could have been derived from the Aboriginal word "ne-yameng" which is the name applied to the everlasting flower -"Helipterum manglessii". Another source states that the name comes from Danish town of Nykobing but this seems highly unlikely.

Ongerup: following a request by the Ongerup Progress Association the townsite of Ongerup was gazetted in 1912. The name is taken from Ongerup Rock, 10km to the north west, and which has been shown on maps of the area since 1879. The name is derived from the aboriginal word "yonger", meaning the male kangaroo, and means "place of the male kangaroo".

Onslow: recalls Sir Alexander Onslow (1842-1908), 3rd Chief Justice of the Supreme Court of Western Australia (the highest ranking court in the state) when the town was founded in 1883.

Pannawonica: of Aboriginal origin.

Paraburdoo: comes from the Aboriginal name "Oeruu-Pardu" meaning 'meat and feathers'. There has always been an abundance of white cockatoos in the area and wild life.

Paynes Find: gold was discovered in this area in early 1898 by Tom Payne and his companion Waldeck, and by April 1898 the place had been inspected by a surveyor and a plan of subdivision prepared. It was at first referred to as "Paynton", and East Mount Magnet, and some records record the locality as "Fords" after another prospector. By April 1899 local prospectors were using the name Paynesville, and it was with this name that the townsite was gazetted in 1900.

Pemberton: known originally as Big Brook, the name Walcott was first suggested for the newly surveyed townsite in 1912. The name was rejected in preference to Pemberton. Both names recall Pemberton Walcott, a pioneer who arrived at Big Brook in 1862, but only stayed two years.

Perenjori: of Aboriginal origin.

Picton: named in homour of Sir Thomas Picton, one of Wellington's generals from the Peninsula Wars. He commanded a division in those wars and served with distinction at the capture of Badajaz (1813) and was killed at the battle of Waterloo.

Piesseville: A siding named "Buchanan River" was established here when the Great Southern Railway opened in 1889, although the siding is also recorded as Buchanan in some records. Following the survey of lots the townsite of Buchanan was gazetted in December 1903. In 1904 the Lands Department advised that Buchanan would have to be renamed because "a promise had been given to the Federal Government in naming new towns in this state care would be taken to avoid the duplication of names already existing in the other states". There was a town of Buchanan in New South Wales, so it was suggested a suitable Aboriginal name be sought. The Aboriginal name of the place was Toomanning, but a more euphonious name was sought, and the local committee suggested Barton, after Sir Edmund Barton, Australia's first Prime Minister. The change of name to Barton was gazetted in March 1905. Following completion of the Trans Australian Railway in 1917, the Commonwealth government decided to use the names of Prime Ministers for railway stations on the line, and chose Barton for a station on the Nullarbor Plain in South Australia. By 1918 this choice of name was causing confusion with the townsite of Barton, and the Western Australian government was asked to change the name, much to its annoyance. The names Piesse, "after the late messrs F & C Piesse and who have been associated with the public life of the Great Southern Districts for so long", and Hordern were proposed. The change of name to Piesse was gazetted in December 1918. In 1923 Mr A E Piesse advised the town name was being confused with his farm name, and asked for it to be renamed to Piesseville. The change of name to Piesseville was gazetted in December 1923.

Pilbara: A region of Western Australia. Pilbara is an Aboriginal word meaning 'mullet'. It was first used to a specific locality in the region where fish were found.

Pingaring: Pingaring was originally a siding on the Lake Grace-Hyden railway, the position of the line and siding being determined in 1930. It was gazetted a townsite in 1963. The name is Aboriginal, being derived from the name of a nearby spring, first recorded by a surveyor in 1926.

Pingelly: derived from Pingeculling Rocks, the Aboriginal name of a rocky gully 13 km north of the town. Settlers referred to the place as Pingegully for some years before the railway arrived, and the Pingelly spelling was first used following construction of the railway.

Pingrup: In 1923 the railway line was extended easterly from Nyabing to Pingrup,and the district surveyor had land surveyed for a townsite at the railway terminus. When the name of the railway station was being decided the railways department thought Pingrup was too similar to Tingerup, and suggested "Geina" a name used for the area around 1900. This name was not acceptable to local settlers who proposed Lake Pingrup as an alternative. However, the Lands Department decided that Pingrup was more desirable and the name was gazetted in 1924. It is named after nearby Lake Pingrup, an Aboriginal name first shown on maps of the area around 1873. The meaning of the name is not known.

Pinjarra: Originally known as Pinjarrup by the Aborigines, which either means "place of the swamp" or was the name of a swamp there.

Popanyinning: Popanyinning is an Aboriginal name, first recorded by the surveyor John Forrest in 1869, for a pool in the Hotham River. Some records spell the place Popanying, or Popanyining, but these appear to just be misspellings of the original name. The meaning of Popanyinning is not known, however an unverified source suggests it refers to a place where battles are fought, and is derived from Popa - tribal battles or wars, ning - times.

Porongerup: the name of a mountain range and once the name of the district, it was first heard on the lips of the local Aborigines by Dr Colie during his exploration of the area. Historian Daisy Bates states that the name was given to mountains that were a shirine of home of the totem spirits of the bibbulmun peples.

Port Denison: The area was referred to as Irwin Port (being near the mouth of the Irwin River) in 1866, but when officially named and gazetted the following year later it became Denison. It is believed named after Sir William Denison, Governor of Tasmania, who visited Western Australia in 1851 in connection with the transportation of convicts to the state. The name was changed to Port Denison in 1973 at the request of the Shire of Irwin, as this was the name by which the town was locally known.

Port Gregory: recalls explorer Augustus C. Gregory, who discovered lead ore on the Murchison River in 1848. Gregory was leader of the North Australian Exploring Expedition (1855?1857), which included Ferdinand Mueller. This expedition explored the Victoria River and Sturt Creek in the Northern Territory, before returning overland to Moreton Bay, Queensland. The locality is now officially known as Gregory.

Port Hedland: honours Captain Peter Hedland, cutter Mystery, which visited the area in 1863 on an exploratory voyage headed by Messrs Ridley and Parbury.

Quairading: derived from the nearby Quairading Spring, an Aboriginal name first recorded by surveyor Alexander Forrest in 1872. The name may relate to "Quairit", an Aboriginal word for the eldest girl of a family, although it is more likely to be translated as "home of the bush kangaroo"- "quara".

Quindalup: Quindalup is an Aboriginal name meaning "the place of quendas". The quenda is also known as the southern brown bandicoot, that is common in the area. In 1899 a number of local fishermen in the area requested the Minister for Lands to subdivide the beachfront land. The Minister approved the subdivision, surveys of "working mens blocks" were made, and the townsite of Quindalup gazetted in 1899.

Quindanning: the area to the east of Quindanning was settled for agriculture in the 1830's, but it was not until around 1900 when closer settlement in the area resulted in demand for small lots. In 1906 the government considered a subdivision, as there was already a school and racecourse in the area. Lots were surveyed in 1907, and the townsite of Quindanning gazetted in October 1907. The townsite derives its name from nearby Quindaning Pool, an Aboriginal name first recorded by a surveyor in 1835. The name is derived from the Aboriginal meaning happy times: quinda - happy times or hours.

Ravensthorpe: The name, taken from the Ravensthorpe Range nearby, was gazetted when the townsite was declared in 1901. The Ravensthorpe Range was named by John Septimus Rose in October 1848 to honour Bishop Short who, before becoming Bishop of SA and WA in 1847, had been the Vicar of Ravensthorpe in Northamptonshire, England, since June 1835.

Roebourne: recalls John Septimus Roe (1797-1878), Surveyor-General of the Swan River colony, who led three expeditions into the hinterland which led to it being opened up for pastoralists. Roe was a renowned explorer, and a Member of Western Australia's Legislative and Executive Councils for nearly 40 years. Roe's first survey journey as assistant to King was the King expedition of 1817, a rough survey of the northern and north-west coast of Australia.

Scadden: named after John Scaddan, CMG, Premier of Western Australia from 1911 to 1916. Known as "Happy Jack", Scaddan was born in South Australia in 1876, educated in Victoria and married in Boulder in 1900. He was elected to Parliament in 1904, and from then until 1933 represented 3 different electorates and served in many different roles in Parliament. He also served on the Perth Roads Board from 1926 to 1934, and was Chairman from 1931 to 1934. Scaddan was originally known as the "Thirty Mile", due to its distance from Esperance, but as early as 1914 residents in the area were using the name Scaddan for the place. They sought the declaration of a townsite in that year, but the government deferred such action until after the position of the Esperance-Norseman railway line was fixed.

Shay Gap: the town is named after a pearler, Robert Shea who, along with his companion Samuel Miller, was murdered by Aboriginals on the De Grey River in 1873. The pair ran a pearling operation at Cossack using natives as divers.

Stoneville: named after Sir Albert Edward Stone, Chief Justice of Western Australia in 1905 when the place was named. The name was chosen by the local residents who were developing the district for fruit growing

South Hedland: see Port Hedland.

Southern Cross: The original prospecting party to find gold here named the area after the Southern Cross constellation they had used at when travelling at night.

Tambellup: derived from the native name Toombellanup, meaning 'place of thunder'. In 1849 the Surveyor General, John Septimus Roe, when passing through the area, referred to Morrison's south west station at "Tambul-yillup".

Tammin: an Aboriginal name derived from the nearby Tammin Rock, a name first recorded by the explorer C C Hunt in 1864. The rock possibly derives its name from the "Tammar", the Aboriginal name of the "Black Gloved Wallaby" which was once found in this area. Another source records it as possibly meaning "a grandmother or a grandfather".

Tarcoola: a district of Geraldton, Tarcoola was named after the Melbourne Cup winner of 1893. The name was first used by an early European settler - a horse breeder - for his property. The name is of Aboriginal origin from the state of Victoria, and means 'river bend'.

Telfer: the name was propsed by Newmount Pty Ltd who developed an open cut mine there. It was named in honour of Mr AM Telfer, a former WA Under-Secretary for Mines.

Tenterden: both Tenterden and nearby Cranbrook are named after towns of the same name in Kent, England. They are believed to have been named by Mr J A Wright, who was manager of the Western Australian Land Company which built the railway through the area in 1895. Mr Wright was educated at Queen Elizabeth School in Cranbrook.

Three Springs: derives its name from nearby springs of this name, first recorded in the 1870's. The name is descriptive. When the townsite was created in 1908, it was gazetted as Kadathinni. It was intended to change the name of the station when the townsite was named, but this was overlooked, and it remained Three Springs. The townsite was also locally known as Three Springs, and in 1946 Kadathinni was changed to Three Springs to conform with local usage.

Tom Price: recalls Thomas Moore Price, a leading raw materials expert and surveyor who, at the age of 71, came to the area in February 1961 and surveyed the iron ore deposits to ascertain the viability of mining them.

Toodyay: the present townsite was gazetted in 1860 and named Newcastle (probably named after the Duke of Newcastle, Secretary of State in 1853). In 1909 the Prime Minister wrote to the state government requesting consideration be given to changing the name of Newcastle because of duplication with Newcastle in NSW. The name Toodyay was suggested, and then adopted in May 1910. Toodyay is an Aboriginal name of uncertain meaning. In 1836 the name was referred to as "Duidgee", and some references refer to it as possibly named after the Aboriginal Toodyeep who was the wife of the Coondebung who accompanied Moore & Dale in exploring the area in 1831.

Torbay: Torbay derives its name from the Bay of the same name located on the coast just south of the townsite. The bay was named in 1831 by Governor Stirling whilst exploring the area with Surveyor General Roe. It is most likely named after Tor Bay on the coast of Devon, England. A Tor is an isolated mass of rock, usually granite.

Trayning: named after Trayning Well, the Aboriginal name of a nearby water source located on an old road from Goomalling to the eastern goldfields. It was first recorded by a surveyor in 1892.

Vasse: The townsite is named after the nearby Vasse River and Vasse Estuary, both of which are named after a French seaman, Thomas Timothee Vasse who was believed to have drowned here in June 1801. Vasse was a helmsman on the Naturaliste, a ship which was part of a French scientific expedition to Australia in 1801-03. He was washed overboard and lost, and the river was consequently named in his honour. In 1838, G.F. Moore interviewed the aboriginals about Vasse and noted in his diary that Vasse had not been drowned but died later from anxiety, exposure and poor diet.

Wagin: of Aboriginal origin, derived from the word 'waitch' which means emu.

Walkaway:

Walpole: recalls Capt. Walpole of the ship Warspite, under Captain Blackwood. They discovered Walpole Inlet in 1831 and named it thus at that time. When the town was gazetted in 1934 it was originally named Nornalup as it was believed there was a town named Walpole in Tasmania. When it was discovered that this was not so, it was re-gazetted as Walpole.

Wandering: the name, of Aboriginal origin, was originally recorded as Walkawa. It means 'break in the hills'.

Wannamal: In 1892 the Midland Railway reached the Wannamal area, and in 1895 a Wannamal siding was opened on the line. Following the survey of lots, Wannamal was gazetted a townsite in 1908. The townsite derives its name from nearby Wannamal Lake, an Aboriginal name first recorded in 1853 as Wannamal Swamp. The meaning of the name is uncertain, although one source gives it as meaning "lake".

Warburton: taken from the name given to the United Aborigines Mission established by missionaries Will and Iris Wade in 1933. The mission was named after explorer Col. Peter Egerton Warburton (1813 - 1889). Before turning explorer, Warburton was Commissioner of Police in the Colony of South Australia. He made one particularly daring expedition from Adelaide to cross the centre of Australia to the coast of Western Australia via Alice Springs in 1872.

Waroona: originally gazetted as Drake's Brook in 1895, recalling an early settler. A year later it was changed to Drakesbrook and was changed to Waroona in 1946 to coincide with the local railway station. Waroona is derived from the town Weroona in Victoria, being the name of a property owned by Mr J. McDowell of the Gill-McDowell Timber Co. which he named after his home town.

Watheroo: Watheroo was one of the original stations on the Midland to Walkaway line, opened in 1894. Watheroo was gazetted in October 1907. The townsite derives its name from the Aboriginal name of a nearby water source, Watheroo Spring. Land around the spring was taken up by James Oliver in 1851, although the first record of the name by a surveyor is in 1873.

Westonia: Gold was discovered in this area near Bodallin Soak by A D Weston in 1910, and as a result the area became known as Weston's Reward. The area was referred to as "Westons" and some lots were surveyed in 1913 for a business and residence area, but for many years the government and residents resisted declaring the area a townsite. By 1914 the population was 550, but was to be another 12 years before the area was finally gazetted a townsite in February 1926.

Wickham: recalls Capt. John Clements Wickham. (1798-1864) of HMS Beagle who carried out extensive surveys of the North west coast of WA. From 1831 to 1836 he was second in command of the Beagle in the expedition for which Charles Darwin was the naturalist and from 1837 to 1841 he commanded the Beagle while charting the north-western coasts of Australia. His health was undermined by long and arduous service and he retired from the navy in 1841. He settled next year in New South Wales, where he married on 27 October 1842 Anna, daughter of Hannibal Macarthur.

Widgiemooltha: originally referred to as Wagiemoola, the name is said to derive from a small native well in the vicinity. Over the years it has been spelt Wagiemoola, Widgiemooltha, Wedgemulla Hill, Wagemulla, Wadjiemoultha, Widjimoultha and Widgemoiultha. The current spelling was adopted by HF Johnston. The meaning of this name appears to be related to the beak of an emu.

Williams: the town is situated on the Williams River, which was named in honour of King William IV.

Wiluna: In 1896 when a town was being surveyed, the Mining Warden for the area suggesting it be called "Weeloona" which he advised was "the native name of the place". The generally accepted meaning is "place of winds", although other suggestions abound. One is that it was derived from 'weeloo', the cry of the bush curlew, another is derived from the native word "billoon" meaning "white water".

Wittenoom: recalls Sir Edward Wittenoom, who had a pastoral lease in the district, and his brother, Rev. Francis Wittenoom.

Wokalup: a railway siding of this name was opened in the late 1890's, and a small private town developed. This was gazetted a townsite in 1963. The meaning of the name is not known although one humorous source gives it as "the confusion experienced by nocturnal animals during an eclipse".

Wongan Hills: derived from a nearby range of hills, first recorded by Surveyor General J S Roe in 1836. Wongan is an Aboriginal name, the name being variously recorded as "wangan-katta", "wankan" and "woongan". It may be derived from "Kwongan", an Aboriginal word meaning sand plain, although one source describes wongan as meaning "whispering".

Wonthella: a district of Geraldton, the name is derived from the Aboriginal question, 'wanthella?' meaning 'whereabouts?'. Legend has it that this was the response to a white settler by an Aboriginal when he enquired of the native name for the area north of Geraldton.

Wooroloo: Wooroloo derives its name from the nearby Wooroloo Brook, first discovered by explorers in 1830. The brook was at first recorded as the "Gatta" and then the "Goodmich River", although some pools in were referred to as "Worrilow" in 1834. The current spelling was used from around 1896. Following the establishment of other community facilities in the area, and the opening of the Wooroloo Sanatorium in 1912, the government surveyed blocks and gazetted the townsite of Wooroloo in 1913.

Wubin: derives its name from the Aboriginal name of a nearby water source, Woobin Well, first recorded by a surveyor in 1907. The spelling Wubin was adopted to conform with spelling rules for Aboriginal names adopted by the Lands & Surveys Department. Wubin was first approved as a siding name on the proposed Wongan Hills to Mullewa railway line in April 1913, then for a townsite gazetted the same year.

Wundowie: in 1907 the Railways Department applied for a name for a newly constructed siding at the 53 Mile between Werribee and Karrijine on the original Perth-Northam line. The name Wundowing was suggested by the Lands Department, and this was shortened to Wundowi by the Surveyor General. Wundowie derives its name from Woondowing Spring, an Aboriginal name for a nearby spring first recorded in 1874. The spelling for the siding was changed according to rules for spelling Aboriginal names adopted by the Lands Department. The meaning of the name is not known, but it has been suggested it may be derived from Ngwundow, meaning "to lie down".

Wyalkatchem: an Aboriginal name, first recorded for a waterhole spelt Walkatching in the 1870's. When the road from Northam to the Yilgarn Goldfield was surveyed in 1892 the spelling Wyalcatchem was used for the tank. The Walkatching spelling is probably the most accurate, as Aboriginal names in this region rarely end in "em". The change of spelling from Wyalcatchem to Wyalkatchem in 1911 was done by the Department of Lands & Surveys according to rules the Department had adopted for spelling Aboriginal names. (the letter K should always be used for the hard c). The meaning of the name is not known.

Wyndham: named after Major Walter George Wyndham (b 1857), the younger son by her first marriage of Mary Anne Broome, wife of the Governor of Western Australia, Sir Frederick Napier Broome, 1883-1890. Wyndham's father was Captain George Robert Barker of the Royal Artillery. He changed his name to Crole-Wyndham because of an inheritance.

Yalgoo: Yalgoo is an Aboriginal name first recorded for Yalgoo Peak by the surveyor John Forrest in 1876. The name is said to mean "blood" or "place of blood", derived from the word "Yalguru". An alternative view is that it is derived from the Yalguru bush which abounds in the area, and has blood red sap.

Yallingup: of Aboriginal origin, reported to mean "place of love". The town takes its name from a nearby cave of that name discovered in 1899 by Edward Dawson.

Yandanooka: a Yandanooka siding was established following the opening of the railway line, but was moved 4 kilometres south in 1902. When the siding was moved the government decided the new site was suitable for a future townsite, and land was set aside in 1903. Townsite lots were surveyed in 1913, and the townsite gazetted in 1919. Yandanooka is the Aboriginal name of a nearby water source, Yandanooka Spring. It is said to mean "plenty of hilly country in sight" from "Yanda" (coming) and "Nooka" (hills). The spring name has also been spelt Yendenooka.

Yarding: located on the railway line from Quairading to Bruce Rock, and when the location of the line was fixed in 1912, Yarding was identified as one of the original station sites. The station was originally suggested to be named Yardyarding, but this was considered too long, and was shortened to Yarding. It was also named Mokami after a nearby spring for a short while. Land was set aside for a townsite in 1913. The name is of Aboriginal origin, being derived from Yard Yarding Spring, first recorded by a surveyor in 1879.

Yarloop: the name Yarloop is said to have originated from the words "yard loop"; the rail loop into the timber yard there. However, the name is more likely Aboriginal in origin. Yalup Brook is situated only about 5km north of Yarloop and there is similarity in pronunciation of the word and the early spelling variations of the siding support it being Aboriginal.

Yearering: Land was set aside for a townsite in 1911, and following the survey of lots the Townsite of Yearlering was gazetted in October 1912. This spelling was a printers error, and it was corrected to Yealering a month later. Yealering is an Aboriginal name derived from the nearby lake, the first recorded use of this name being in 1870 when the area was taken up as a grazing lease. The meaning of the name is not known.

Yerecoin: Yerecoin is an Aboriginal name derived from a nearby well. The name was first recorded by a surveyor in 1879.

Yilgarn: an Aboriginal name for the region meaning 'place of white quartz'.


Yorkshire, England

York: named after York in England, the name having been suggested by two Yorkshire members of Robert Dale's exploration party of October 1830 because of the Avon valley's similarity to the Yorkshire Dales. The Aboriginal name of the area is Balding.

Yornaning: Yornaning is an Aboriginal name derived from "Yornanmunging", an Aboriginal place name recorded in this area by John Forrest in 1869. It has also been spelt "Yornanunging" and "Yernanunging". The meaning of the name is not known.

Yoting: Following the survey of lots at the siding the townsite of Yoting was gazetted in 1914. The name is Aboriginal, being derived from the name of the nearby Yoting Well or spring which was first recorded in 1873. Bruce Leake, an early settler, wrote in 1938 that "Yot" means two women who have quarreled, hitting each other with "wannas" or digging sticks used only by the Aboriginal women.


Yunderup canal

Yunderup: The name is derived from the Aboriginal name of one of the islands on Peel Inlet, first recorded as Yoondooroop Island by a surveyor in 1897. This island was also referred to as "Long Island" in 1893 and in 1926 as "Goat Island" because it was over run with goats. The name possibly refers to the short tailed lizard or bobtail, the Aboriginal word for which is Yoorna, Yorna or Yun. However, the name is also used in more than one place to refer to estuarine features, and the meaning may be related to this type of place.
A scheme of subdivision was proposed and surveys carried out in 1897. The original names suggested for the townsite were "Isleworth" (after an island in the Thames), "The Delta" and "Venice". Later the names "Murray" (after the river) and "Yoondooroop" (after one of the islands comprising the townsite) were suggested. Approval was given for the use of the Aboriginal, name and Surveyor General H.F. Johnston recommended that it be spelt "Yundurup" to conform with spelling rules for Aboriginal names adopted by the government. The townsite was gazetted as "Yundurup" in 1898, but over the years common usage converted the pronunciation to "Yunderup", with the "u's" pronounced as in "cup", and this spelling was adopted in 1973.




Expedia Australia