Australian National Botanic Gardens
The concept of a National Botanical Gardens to exhibit the interpret Australia’s flora was birthed by its inclusion in Walter Burley Griffin’s original design for Canberra of 1912. It wasn’t until the 1950s, however, that the foundation plantings were eventually established at Griffin’s nominated site. In 1968 the first interpretive signage was installed and facilities for indoor interpretive displays and for teaching propagation methods were developed. The scientific and educational resources of the Gardens were further expanded during the late 1960s and early 1970s with the development of the herbarium, library, nursery (including glasshouses), and the research laboratory. The ANBGs’ particular research interest in the families Fabaceae and Orchidaceae began in the mid 1970s; the living Gardens’ collection of Australian orchids is now perhaps the most comprehensive in cultivation.
The National Botanic Gardens is an important centre for growing, studying and promoting Australia’s flora, and to do this, it maintains a scientific collection of native plants from all parts of Australia. The plants are displayed for the enjoyment and education of visitors and are used for research into plant classification and biology. A herbarium of preserved plant specimens is closely associated with the living collection. The Gardens also cultivates plants threatened in the wild. This helps protect them against extinction and provides information which might assist reintroduction to their natural habitat.
Contact. (02) 6250 9450.
Location: Black Mountain, Clunies Ross Dr., Action.
How to get there: from Canberra City, proceed east via Parkes Way, right into Clunies Ross Dr. at Acton.