A small town which services the local forestry and potato chip manufacturing industries.
Where is it?: South East. 20 km south of Penola; 30 km north of Mount Gambier; 70 km east of Millicent via Penola; 100 km south east of Beachport via Millicent and Penola.
Built features: Nangwarry Forestry And Logging Museum; Forest Information Walk (1.5 km walk among original plantings)
Origin of name: of Aboriginal origin, from "ngrang ware" meaning path to the cave. It was first used as the name of a homestead, then the Hundred of Nangwarry.
Brief history: in 1939 a power station was erected to supply a timber mill, which was built in 1940. The town grew out of a demand for housing for the labourers who travelled to the area for work, many in the forest. The Government established homes, schools and shops. Migrants made up the biggest percentage of the population in what was to become a multicultural community.